Reintroductions!

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2000
      Here's the original I posted back at the start of the group. Not much
      has changed, Although I do know how to post thing to the group! Still
      much of a lurker though. Not having lived in the area, I get lost when
      reading about certain streets, and where the electric lines went, but
      it's still interesting reading, and I'm still learning something.

      FJ&G, other that as a model railroader. Back in the �80's I was
      looking for a shortline to model, and while looking through old
      magazines, came across an article in a �77 Model Railroader. It was a
      series of articles written by Harold Russell on the FJ&G. Thirty
      customers in twenty miles, the bulk of the tonnage going up a stiff
      grade, light power, and a connection to a busy mainline, all added up to
      a pretty interesting little railroad.

      A couple of months later, a modeler friend of mine got a set of 1960
      Trains magazines, and there was an excellent article an on the FJ&G,
      including a bit of passenger service, and some more on the history of
      the railroad. I was surprised to read about the little shortline that
      had done everything that the big guys were doing, freight,
      passenger, electric, buses, and highway freight. Since then,
      I've been a fan.

      Unfortunately, by the time I figured all this out, the railroad was
      meeting it's untimely death. I never got a chance to see it in the
      flesh, and have only managed to collect a few articles, and an employees
      time table, 1954, which I plan on e-mailing the group as soon as I find
      out how to do that.

      So for the most part, I am here to learn. If I can contribute, I will.

      Paul Charland