Re: Walk to Darling Field

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 9, 2000
      Interestingly, the railroad actually hauled its demise, in the form of (1)
      material and construction equipment for the Arterial, and (2) pipes for the
      gas lines that replaced coal. I believe there was another similar cement
      operation in the Vail Mills area for the same purpose. I have waybills for
      cement destined for Vail Mills. This was, I believe, in the early-50s and I
      can see no other use for load upon load of cement at Vail Mills at that
      time. Only other use might be upgrades on the Broadalbin-Perth school
      (which the railroad solicited business from the contractors). I have other
      paperwork in which the railroad solicited business of construction companies
      working on the roads.

      From: GINO DICARLO (QUAD GRAPHICS, SARATOGA) <GDICARLO@...>
      To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
      Date: Tuesday, February 08, 2000 11:53 PM
      Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Walk to Darling Field

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10, 2000
        During the time the highway was being built the extra cement cars were
        stored among other places in the Gloversville yard on the track that was the
        old trolley main, next adjacent to the coal house. The company made good
        money on the demurrage from those cars, I remember hearing. It was usually
        full of the small two pocket covered hoppers. I made the mistake of trying
        to roller skate from State St. down to Second Ave. on what I thought was
        smooth cement, like sidewalks. Much to my chagrin it was grooved. It was a
        nice day to walk back home, which was on First Ave.

        Paul