Re: Introduction

  • GINO DICARLO (QUAD GRAPHICS, SARATOGA)
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 8, 2000
      Peter,

      Thanks so much for the interesting bio!!! Your family connection to the
      area is an interesting one. I think everyone's relatives who visited
      Sacandaga Park favorite memories is of the Roller Coaster and the Shoot
      the Chute. Tkanks again for providing the bio and feel free to send us
      some more Sacandaga memories becuase that too is a major part of the FJG
      history. Any history of the Valley (Larry Hart's "Sacandaga Story" or
      reflections of Northhampton (not sure of the author) contains a history
      of the Northville line and Sacandaga Park...

      Gino
    • Mike engle
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 20, 2001
        Hello all.

        I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Mike engle. I'm from
        Troy, NY. I'm more interested in the historical importance ofthe
        railroad then the actual trains. The area od Gloversville and
        johnstown is charming and unique.
        Seeing that I am only 27, i enjoy hearing your stories of the places
        that used to be here and there.
        My primary interest, though, is diners. I've emailed Randy Decker
        already, but I haven't talked to anyone else from this board.
        The names I have for Gloversville are the Palace, Polly Izzo's Club
        diner, Lee's and Fred's. Plus there were some in Johnstown. There is
        a pic of one in johnstown on the Leader Herald's milennium page for
        the 50's but I can't place in my mind the location where it was. I
        was also told the Palace on 30A was an old trolley car???(i can't
        tell). Plus I believe there was one in Mayfield. And the one in
        Northampton on 30 was from Glens Falls.
        I also have the book "Trolley's down the Mohawk Valley"
        My one question about the R/R. Did the baseball teams in the late
        40's take the railroad to the other locations?

        Mike engle
      • Randy & Lorraine Decker
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 20, 2001
          Way to go mike!! this is an interesting project those old lunch wagons
          were pretty neat! any of you guy's who may have a shot or two of these old
          diners locally please let Mike know I am looking myself I have a few but
          it would be nice to see them all!! I have been meaning to ask the history
          of the one in Northampton they still make the very best breakfast's around
          and the owners are quite a story ! I will try and get an article in the
          paper about this diner and these owners! their story is material for a Big
          Movie no kidding!! WW2, Bombers, POW's, Romance Underground resistance ! I
          will certainly see if they can let me know where this one came from !

        • mwilber@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 20, 2001
            Mike-There use to be a diner next to the tracks on S.Perry St. called
            the fairgrounds.We use to stop the train and go in for breakfast.An
            older gentleman we used to call Pops ran it.He had a little white beard
            that looked like Colonel Sanders.Maybe some of the historians know more
            about the place. Mark Wilber
          • skalbfel@ix.netcom.com
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 20, 2001
              On Main Street in Gloversville, between 2nd and 3rd Aves, there was
              the Golden Rooster. And on West Fulton Tegeo's.
              Saul

              --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Mike engle" <speigletown@h...> wrote:
              > Hello all.
              >
              > I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Mike engle. I'm from
              > Troy, NY. I'm more interested in the historical importance ofthe
              > railroad then the actual trains. The area od Gloversville and
              > johnstown is charming and unique.
              > Seeing that I am only 27, i enjoy hearing your stories of the
              places
              > that used to be here and there.
              > My primary interest, though, is diners. I've emailed Randy
              Decker
              > already, but I haven't talked to anyone else from this board.
              > The names I have for Gloversville are the Palace, Polly Izzo's
              Club
              > diner, Lee's and Fred's. Plus there were some in Johnstown. There
              is
              > a pic of one in johnstown on the Leader Herald's milennium page for
              > the 50's but I can't place in my mind the location where it was. I
              > was also told the Palace on 30A was an old trolley car???(i can't
              > tell). Plus I believe there was one in Mayfield. And the one in
              > Northampton on 30 was from Glens Falls.
              > I also have the book "Trolley's down the Mohawk Valley"
              > My one question about the R/R. Did the baseball teams in the
              late
              > 40's take the railroad to the other locations?
              >
              > Mike engle
            • mike engle
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 20, 2001
                Were the Red Rooser and Tegeo's authentic diner (prefabricated buildings) or
                where they in storefronts?

                Mike

                >From: skalbfel@...
                >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Introduction
                >Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 04:46:32 -0000
                >
                >On Main Street in Gloversville, between 2nd and 3rd Aves, there was
                >the Golden Rooster. And on West Fulton Tegeo's.
                >Saul

              • Randy & Lorraine Decker
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 21, 2001
                  Mark That Place was called the Fairgrounds (if you haven't already gotten
                  ten messages about it already?) because it was a Stop on the FJ&G Steam and
                  Elelctric Lines! This was, believe it or not, the actual site of the
                  Johnstwom Fair grounds and also the Fulton County Fair for many years early
                  on! It ran from Perry St. and took that whole section to the East, none of
                  those houses or anything was there then. they had a Horse race track and
                  some of the best came there and they had the huge Baseball grandstands this
                  was where the AJ&G Team held the New York State League Pennant in 1905 they
                  were Homed at the Sport Island grandstands before this! This was the First
                  of the Professional Minor League Baseball teams anywhere! and We had the
                  Winning team once! Interesting story this bunch later moved to the area that
                  is the Parkhurst Field now on Harrison St. and then with the Can Am Leagues
                  and a litle before that era the teams werr playing serious ball at the
                  Glovers Park where Walmart now stands this park was know for a long time as
                  Lovers Park someone painted over the G on the back of the stands! Hows
                  that for someone who never got to see any Baseball here!! all the cools
                  stuff happened before I was born!!!

                • 103424.2304@compuserve.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 21, 2001
                    --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Mike engle" <speigletown@h...> wrote:
                    > Hello all.
                    > [snip]
                    >
                    > My primary interest, though, is diners. I've emailed Randy
                    > Decker already, but I haven't talked to anyone else from this
                    > board.
                    >
                    > [snip]
                    >
                    > Mike engle

                    Mike,

                    Welcome to the list. If you go back through the past messages,
                    you'll see that we're a pretty diverse group, both geographically and
                    in interests.

                    On the diner front, the only one I recall in Fonda was the Hands'
                    Lunch, located on the north side of Main Street, at the corner of
                    Center Street, opposite the new Post Office (where the old Agway, nee
                    GLF, store used to was). It's been gone for some time now.

                    And being a diner freak, no doubt you faithfully follow the cartoon
                    series Zippy, whose author incorporates diners at the least
                    provocation. . .

                    Glenn
                  • RICHARD A. FINN

                      > Mike-There use to be a diner next to the tracks on S.Perry St. called
                      > the fairgrounds.We use to stop the train and go in for breakfast.An
                      > older gentleman we used to call Pops ran it.He had a little white beard
                      > that looked like Colonel Sanders.Maybe some of the historians know more
                      > about the place.  Mark Wilber

                      http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

                      Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
                      http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/

                      in New York State at
                      http://ny.existingstations.com/

                    • Richard W. Ryall
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 21, 2001
                        The building by the track I remember, however I`m not old enough to remember the actual
                        Fair Grounds in Johnstown, only the one in Fonda. dick

                        Randy & Lorraine Decker wrote:

                        > Mark That Place was called the Fairgrounds (if you haven't already gotten
                        > ten messages about it already?) because it was a Stop on the FJ&G Steam and
                        > Elelctric Lines! This was, believe it or not, the actual site of the
                        > Johnstwom Fair grounds and also the Fulton County Fair for many years early
                        > on! It ran from Perry St. and took that whole section to the East, none of
                        > those houses or anything was there then. they had a Horse race track and
                        > some of the best came there and they had the huge Baseball grandstands this
                        > was where the AJ&G Team held the New York State League Pennant in 1905 they
                        > were Homed at the Sport Island grandstands before this! This was the First
                        > of the Professional Minor League Baseball teams anywhere! and We had the
                        > Winning team once! Interesting story this bunch later moved to the area that
                        > is the Parkhurst Field now on Harrison St. and then with the Can Am Leagues
                        > and a litle before that era the teams werr playing serious ball at the
                        > Glovers Park where Walmart now stands this park was know for a long time as
                        > Lovers Park someone painted over the G on the back of the stands! Hows
                        > that for someone who never got to see any Baseball here!! all the cools
                        > stuff happened before I was born!!!

                      • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 21, 2001
                          Great to hear from you Mike! Welcome aboard! Just to clear things up
                          because of recent discussions! It more than OK to discuss Fulton County
                          businesses. It all come back to the FJG! Don't hesitate in the future
                          to discuss Ice Cream stands and gin-mills in Gloversville and Johnstown!

                          Gino

                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 21, 2001
                            I think you would call them lunch rooms, like the Capitol on Bleeker and
                            Ackel's on South Main. You're after the "diner" style. The Palace was not
                            from a trolley car at least not the one on 30A in Johnstown. I can't recall
                            where they were before they relocated out there. That route wasn't a
                            through route until around 1957.

                            The Golden Rooster was a luch room also with a long counter. What was the
                            place on North Main opposite the foot of First Ave, next to the toy store?
                            Maybe it has already been mentioned but the best late night fries and gravy
                            were at the diner on South Main St. near the old Morning Herald building.

                            PKL

                            >From: "mike engle" <speigletown@...>
                            >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Introduction
                            >Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 00:02:46 -0500
                            >

                            >Were the Red Rooser and Tegeo's authentic diner (prefabricated buildings)
                            >or
                            >where they in storefronts?
                            >
                            >Mike
                            >
                            > >From: skalbfel@...
                            > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                            > >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Introduction
                            > >Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 04:46:32 -0000
                            > >
                            > >On Main Street in Gloversville, between 2nd and 3rd Aves, there was
                            > >the Golden Rooster. And on West Fulton Tegeo's.
                            > >Saul

                          • RICHARD A. FINN
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 21, 2001
                              I think the original Palace Diner was on South Main St. just below the Kingsborough Hotel.  It might have been built in a "diner" style.

                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 21, 2001
                                Seems like two names come to mind, City Dinner, and Pollys is that right?

                                paul larner wrote:

                                > I think you would call them lunch rooms, like the Capitol on Bleeker and
                                > Ackel's on South Main. You're after the "diner" style. The Palace was not
                                > from a trolley car at least not the one on 30A in Johnstown. I can't recall
                                > where they were before they relocated out there. That route wasn't a
                                > through route until around 1957.
                                >
                                > The Golden Rooster was a luch room also with a long counter. What was the
                                > place on North Main opposite the foot of First Ave, next to the toy store?
                                > Maybe it has already been mentioned but the best late night fries and gravy
                                > were at the diner on South Main St. near the old Morning Herald building.
                                >
                                > PKL
                                >
                                > >From: "mike engle" <speigletown@...>
                                > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                > >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Introduction
                                > >Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 00:02:46 -0500
                                > >

                                > >Were the Red Rooser and Tegeo's authentic diner (prefabricated buildings)
                                > >or
                                > >where they in storefronts?
                                > >
                                > >Mike
                                > >
                                > > >From: skalbfel@...
                                > > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                > > >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Introduction
                                > > >Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 04:46:32 -0000
                                > > >
                                > > >On Main Street in Gloversville, between 2nd and 3rd Aves, there was
                                > > >the Golden Rooster. And on West Fulton Tegeo's.
                                > > >Saul

                              • Richard W. Ryall
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 21, 2001
                                  I think your right....

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 22, 2001
                                    I think that Tegeo's is still there! That place plus the New York Lunch
                                    have great hot dogs!!!

                                    Gino DiCarlo
                                    ----------------------------------
                                    gdicarlo@...
                                    Quad Imaging Saratoga
                                    x4276

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 22, 2001
                                      The Very Best Indeed ! Thats how I keep my Boyish Figure!!----- Original
                                      Message -----
                                      > I think that Tegeo's is still there! That place plus the New York Lunch
                                      > have great hot dogs!!!
                                      >
                                      > Gino DiCarlo
                                      > ----------------------------------
                                      > gdicarlo@...
                                      > Quad Imaging Saratoga
                                      > x4276

                                      VirusWall.

                                    • mwilber@webtv.net
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 22, 2001
                                        "Tegeo's";I remember eating four hot dogs with that special meat sauce
                                        for lunch many times.
                                        The bad part about it,that I couldn't fit in his small booths.
                                        Mark
                                      • mike engle
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 23, 2001
                                          Thank you for the email.

                                          glad to know you all are receptive to vering slightly(or more than slightly)
                                          from the main topic at times).

                                          best Regards!
                                          mike engle

                                          >From: Gino And Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@...>
                                          >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                                          >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Introduction
                                          >Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 13:54:22 -0700
                                          >
                                          >Great to hear from you Mike! Welcome aboard! Just to clear things up
                                          >because of recent discussions! It more than OK to discuss Fulton County
                                          >businesses. It all come back to the FJG! Don't hesitate in the future
                                          >to discuss Ice Cream stands and gin-mills in Gloversville and Johnstown!
                                          >
                                          >Gino
                                          >
                                          > > From: "Mike engle" <speigletown@...>
                                          > > Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 03:37:01 -0000
                                          > > To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                          > > Subject: [FJGRailroad] Introduction
                                          > >
                                          > > Hello all.
                                          > >
                                          > > I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Mike engle. I'm from
                                          > > Troy, NY. I'm more interested in the historical importance ofthe
                                          > > railroad then the actual trains. The area od Gloversville and
                                          > > johnstown is charming and unique.
                                          > > Seeing that I am only 27, i enjoy hearing your stories of the places
                                          > > that used to be here and there.
                                          > > My primary interest, though, is diners. I've emailed Randy Decker
                                          > > already, but I haven't talked to anyone else from this board.
                                          > > The names I have for Gloversville are the Palace, Polly Izzo's Club
                                          > > diner, Lee's and Fred's. Plus there were some in Johnstown. There is
                                          > > a pic of one in johnstown on the Leader Herald's milennium page for
                                          > > the 50's but I can't place in my mind the location where it was. I
                                          > > was also told the Palace on 30A was an old trolley car???(i can't
                                          > > tell). Plus I believe there was one in Mayfield. And the one in
                                          > > Northampton on 30 was from Glens Falls.
                                          > > I also have the book "Trolley's down the Mohawk Valley"
                                          > > My one question about the R/R. Did the baseball teams in the late
                                          > > 40's take the railroad to the other locations?
                                          > >
                                          > > Mike engle
                                          > >

                                          > > Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
                                          > > http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/

                                          > > http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

                                          > > in New York State at
                                          > > http://ny.existingstations.com/
                                          > >
                                          > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                          >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                        • mike engle
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 23, 2001
                                            Polly Izzo?

                                            I talked to a former city historian last year and I believe that is the
                                            diner she mentioned. Judy Marcoux is her name (former historian of
                                            Gloversville, i should be more specific)

                                            The Palace in gloversville was built in the mid 20's by the O'Mahony company
                                            and probably arrived by rail. It was widened before 1950(based on sanburn
                                            fire maps) If my memory serves me right. there was a diner on the same side
                                            a little south of the Palace in the very early 1900's ???? and if you
                                            went towards the 4 corners from the palace, and BEFORE you got there, took a
                                            right onto some sside road, there was a diner down there. I beieve this was
                                            after the 40's?

                                            The palace on Rt 30A. It's been renovated too much to tell. Either someone
                                            is going to specifically remember, or the building permit records might
                                            tell.

                                            Mike Engle

                                          • Roland Bowers
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Mar 23, 2001
                                              Second Ave. comes into Main St. at an angle, and there was a brick building
                                              there that was called the Flatiron building, and it was torn down to build
                                              The Golden Rooster. The Golden Rooster was built by a neighbor of mine,
                                              Wilford McCullough. It was of completely new materials.
                                              Tegeo's moved in to a building already constructed, housing a tinsmith's
                                              building, and owned or rented by Theron Blodgett