Re: Walk to Darling Field

  • Randy & Lorraine Decker
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8, 2000
      That is interesting Saul I have never heard this before?? This is another
      reason to have this chat list!!! Little items such as this are fantastic
      especially for the younger guy's and girls. It is so easy to think every
      one knows some of this stuff but if you did not see it the only way we are
      going to know about it is from you guy's or from photo's or print. This may
      be another source for a few shot's The contractor may have a few photo's
      somewhere or maybe even the City has a few things on storage taken at all
      the crossings in the area concerning the RR??? Hey Paul to bad you don't
      run the freight's Maybe they would let you stop and take in a game somewhere
      on one of your runs??????
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 8, 2000
        I didn't realize about this spur either Saul. Was it removed after the
        Arterial was complete?

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 9, 2000
          Interestingly, the railroad actually hauled its demise, in the form of (1)
          material and construction equipment for the Arterial, and (2) pipes for the
          gas lines that replaced coal. I believe there was another similar cement
          operation in the Vail Mills area for the same purpose. I have waybills for
          cement destined for Vail Mills. This was, I believe, in the early-50s and I
          can see no other use for load upon load of cement at Vail Mills at that
          time. Only other use might be upgrades on the Broadalbin-Perth school
          (which the railroad solicited business from the contractors). I have other
          paperwork in which the railroad solicited business of construction companies
          working on the roads.

          From: GINO DICARLO (QUAD GRAPHICS, SARATOGA) <GDICARLO@...>
          To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
          Date: Tuesday, February 08, 2000 11:53 PM
          Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Walk to Darling Field

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 10, 2000
            During the time the highway was being built the extra cement cars were
            stored among other places in the Gloversville yard on the track that was the
            old trolley main, next adjacent to the coal house. The company made good
            money on the demurrage from those cars, I remember hearing. It was usually
            full of the small two pocket covered hoppers. I made the mistake of trying
            to roller skate from State St. down to Second Ave. on what I thought was
            smooth cement, like sidewalks. Much to my chagrin it was grooved. It was a
            nice day to walk back home, which was on First Ave.

            Paul