Walk to Darling Field

  • skalbfel@ix.netcom.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8, 2000
      The walk was from Kingsboro School to Darling Field. And yes, I'll gradually get all
      the photos up, but as I do, I'll take down the contact sheets as they are not
      very clear and take up a lot of storage space. During home football games when
      I was in high school I remember if there was an FJ&G train the crew would stop to
      watch some of the game either from the engine or a boxcar. Here is an interesting
      bit which I am sure no one knows...when the arterial highway 30a was being
      built the railroad put in a siding right where the line crossed the highway
      (west side) and the contractor put up a small facility for receiving cement
      hoppers. The siding was maybe 200 feet long and could service one or two hoppers.
      This was in 1954. The substructure of the highway is concrete although the top
      has always been blacktop.
    • Randy & Lorraine Decker
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 8, 2000
        That is interesting Saul I have never heard this before?? This is another
        reason to have this chat list!!! Little items such as this are fantastic
        especially for the younger guy's and girls. It is so easy to think every
        one knows some of this stuff but if you did not see it the only way we are
        going to know about it is from you guy's or from photo's or print. This may
        be another source for a few shot's The contractor may have a few photo's
        somewhere or maybe even the City has a few things on storage taken at all
        the crossings in the area concerning the RR??? Hey Paul to bad you don't
        run the freight's Maybe they would let you stop and take in a game somewhere
        on one of your runs??????
[...]

        $10 Savings on Pet Valentine Gifts.
        Looking for that pet-perfect Valentine's Day gift?
        Click here for $10 off purchases of $25 or more.

        Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
        http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/
      • GINO DICARLO (QUAD GRAPHICS, SARATOGA)
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 8, 2000
          I didn't realize about this spur either Saul. Was it removed after the
          Arterial was complete?

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 9, 2000
            Interestingly, the railroad actually hauled its demise, in the form of (1)
            material and construction equipment for the Arterial, and (2) pipes for the
            gas lines that replaced coal. I believe there was another similar cement
            operation in the Vail Mills area for the same purpose. I have waybills for
            cement destined for Vail Mills. This was, I believe, in the early-50s and I
            can see no other use for load upon load of cement at Vail Mills at that
            time. Only other use might be upgrades on the Broadalbin-Perth school
            (which the railroad solicited business from the contractors). I have other
            paperwork in which the railroad solicited business of construction companies
            working on the roads.

            From: GINO DICARLO (QUAD GRAPHICS, SARATOGA) <GDICARLO@...>
            To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
            Date: Tuesday, February 08, 2000 11:53 PM
            Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Walk to Darling Field

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 10, 2000
              During the time the highway was being built the extra cement cars were
              stored among other places in the Gloversville yard on the track that was the
              old trolley main, next adjacent to the coal house. The company made good
              money on the demurrage from those cars, I remember hearing. It was usually
              full of the small two pocket covered hoppers. I made the mistake of trying
              to roller skate from State St. down to Second Ave. on what I thought was
              smooth cement, like sidewalks. Much to my chagrin it was grooved. It was a
              nice day to walk back home, which was on First Ave.

              Paul