Re: Introduction

  • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 8, 2000
      Thanks for participating Mark! My sister lives on the VRE line
      in Manassas. Every time I'm there, I miss the train to DC!

      Gino

    • psefton@crosslink.net
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 8, 2000
        So there's a fellow Virginian on the list !

        I've put up a few posts but have never really introduced myself. I'm Peter
        Sefton, of Alexandria, Virginia for the past 20 years. Although I'm not
        serious enough to be a railfan, I enjoy reading about Alexandria's railroad
        past. Until the mid-1980s, we were home to the Southern Railroad's giant
        Potomac Yard, and for many years the Southern was our biggest employer
        besides Uncle Sam. In fact, the 3 houses across the street were built for
        the trainmaster, yardmaster, and chief of the railroad police in 1930 and
        the neighborhood next to mine was originally a Southern company town called
        Potomac Falls. It was incorporated into the city of Alexandria just before
        WWII but the original name is still over the door of the firehouse.

        My connection to the FJG is through Northville & Sacandaga Park, starting
        around the turn of the last century. The family story (or perhaps myth) is
        that my great-great Uncle Willie showed up at Commodore Vanderbilt's old
        Grand Central Depot after a long binge, plunked down whatever change was
        left in his pockets, and said "get me as far away from here as I can go".
        That happened to be Sacandaga Park, and he started farming up in Gifford
        Valley above Parkville once he arrived. Later he moved down along the old
        River Road, which ran from Northville to the present day town of Fish House.
        When my grandfather and his brothers were young, they rode the train up from
        Brooklyn to work on Willie's farm each summer. Willie died in 1923, but his
        land stayed in the family, possibly because it was too poor for anyone to
        buy. Much of it is under Great Sacandaga today, but we've got some vacation
        houses on the corner that's left. I spend a week there every summer with my
        wife and children.

        My grandparents always spoke fondly of Sacandaga Park. Their favorite ride
        was the toboggan slide over the river, which they always referred to as
        "Shoot the Chutes" after its equivalent at Coney Island. A couple of my
        cousins recall riding the Park Merry-go-Round just before the lake came in
        in 1930. I just remember some 1970's survivors, like the Adirondack Inn,
        where another cousin worked during its final summer. I also remember the
        Orchard Inn standing shuttered for years beside the golf course, until it
        vanished without a trace over a winter. I regularly visit the old depot
        when I'm up. I don't know if anyone else on the list besides my brother has
        visited the Artpark on its grounds, but I highly recommend it. Mr. Faust,
        the sculptor who lives in a part of the depot, builds eirie mechanical men
        out of old gears, farm equipment, and . He also makes enormous and
        beautiful kalidescope disks from old industrial flywheels, marbles, chunks
        of broken glass, and even the prototype of a waterwheel my great-uncle gave
        him.

        In closing, I think we should all thank Gino. I've enjoyed his railfan page
        since about the time I got on the internet 3 years ago. And I was sorry
        about the Buffalo Bills, too.
      • GINO DICARLO (QUAD GRAPHICS, SARATOGA)
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 8, 2000
          Peter,

          Thanks so much for the interesting bio!!! Your family connection to the
          area is an interesting one. I think everyone's relatives who visited
          Sacandaga Park favorite memories is of the Roller Coaster and the Shoot
          the Chute. Tkanks again for providing the bio and feel free to send us
          some more Sacandaga memories becuase that too is a major part of the FJG
          history. Any history of the Valley (Larry Hart's "Sacandaga Story" or
          reflections of Northhampton (not sure of the author) contains a history
          of the Northville line and Sacandaga Park...

          Gino
        • Mike engle
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 20, 2001
            Hello all.

            I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Mike engle. I'm from
            Troy, NY. I'm more interested in the historical importance ofthe
            railroad then the actual trains. The area od Gloversville and
            johnstown is charming and unique.
            Seeing that I am only 27, i enjoy hearing your stories of the places
            that used to be here and there.
            My primary interest, though, is diners. I've emailed Randy Decker
            already, but I haven't talked to anyone else from this board.
            The names I have for Gloversville are the Palace, Polly Izzo's Club
            diner, Lee's and Fred's. Plus there were some in Johnstown. There is
            a pic of one in johnstown on the Leader Herald's milennium page for
            the 50's but I can't place in my mind the location where it was. I
            was also told the Palace on 30A was an old trolley car???(i can't
            tell). Plus I believe there was one in Mayfield. And the one in
            Northampton on 30 was from Glens Falls.
            I also have the book "Trolley's down the Mohawk Valley"
            My one question about the R/R. Did the baseball teams in the late
            40's take the railroad to the other locations?

            Mike engle
          • Randy & Lorraine Decker
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 20, 2001
              Way to go mike!! this is an interesting project those old lunch wagons
              were pretty neat! any of you guy's who may have a shot or two of these old
              diners locally please let Mike know I am looking myself I have a few but
              it would be nice to see them all!! I have been meaning to ask the history
              of the one in Northampton they still make the very best breakfast's around
              and the owners are quite a story ! I will try and get an article in the
              paper about this diner and these owners! their story is material for a Big
              Movie no kidding!! WW2, Bombers, POW's, Romance Underground resistance ! I
              will certainly see if they can let me know where this one came from !

            • mwilber@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 20, 2001
                Mike-There use to be a diner next to the tracks on S.Perry St. called
                the fairgrounds.We use to stop the train and go in for breakfast.An
                older gentleman we used to call Pops ran it.He had a little white beard
                that looked like Colonel Sanders.Maybe some of the historians know more
                about the place. Mark Wilber
              • skalbfel@ix.netcom.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 20, 2001
                  On Main Street in Gloversville, between 2nd and 3rd Aves, there was
                  the Golden Rooster. And on West Fulton Tegeo's.
                  Saul

                  --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Mike engle" <speigletown@h...> wrote:
                  > Hello all.
                  >
                  > I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Mike engle. I'm from
                  > Troy, NY. I'm more interested in the historical importance ofthe
                  > railroad then the actual trains. The area od Gloversville and
                  > johnstown is charming and unique.
                  > Seeing that I am only 27, i enjoy hearing your stories of the
                  places
                  > that used to be here and there.
                  > My primary interest, though, is diners. I've emailed Randy
                  Decker
                  > already, but I haven't talked to anyone else from this board.
                  > The names I have for Gloversville are the Palace, Polly Izzo's
                  Club
                  > diner, Lee's and Fred's. Plus there were some in Johnstown. There
                  is
                  > a pic of one in johnstown on the Leader Herald's milennium page for
                  > the 50's but I can't place in my mind the location where it was. I
                  > was also told the Palace on 30A was an old trolley car???(i can't
                  > tell). Plus I believe there was one in Mayfield. And the one in
                  > Northampton on 30 was from Glens Falls.
                  > I also have the book "Trolley's down the Mohawk Valley"
                  > My one question about the R/R. Did the baseball teams in the
                  late
                  > 40's take the railroad to the other locations?
                  >
                  > Mike engle
                • mike engle
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 20, 2001
                    Were the Red Rooser and Tegeo's authentic diner (prefabricated buildings) or
                    where they in storefronts?

                    Mike

                    >From: skalbfel@...
                    >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Introduction
                    >Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 04:46:32 -0000
                    >
                    >On Main Street in Gloversville, between 2nd and 3rd Aves, there was
                    >the Golden Rooster. And on West Fulton Tegeo's.
                    >Saul

                  • Randy & Lorraine Decker
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 21, 2001
                      Mark That Place was called the Fairgrounds (if you haven't already gotten
                      ten messages about it already?) because it was a Stop on the FJ&G Steam and
                      Elelctric Lines! This was, believe it or not, the actual site of the
                      Johnstwom Fair grounds and also the Fulton County Fair for many years early
                      on! It ran from Perry St. and took that whole section to the East, none of
                      those houses or anything was there then. they had a Horse race track and
                      some of the best came there and they had the huge Baseball grandstands this
                      was where the AJ&G Team held the New York State League Pennant in 1905 they
                      were Homed at the Sport Island grandstands before this! This was the First
                      of the Professional Minor League Baseball teams anywhere! and We had the
                      Winning team once! Interesting story this bunch later moved to the area that
                      is the Parkhurst Field now on Harrison St. and then with the Can Am Leagues
                      and a litle before that era the teams werr playing serious ball at the
                      Glovers Park where Walmart now stands this park was know for a long time as
                      Lovers Park someone painted over the G on the back of the stands! Hows
                      that for someone who never got to see any Baseball here!! all the cools
                      stuff happened before I was born!!!

                    • 103424.2304@compuserve.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 21, 2001
                        --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Mike engle" <speigletown@h...> wrote:
                        > Hello all.
                        > [snip]
                        >
                        > My primary interest, though, is diners. I've emailed Randy
                        > Decker already, but I haven't talked to anyone else from this
                        > board.
                        >
                        > [snip]
                        >
                        > Mike engle

                        Mike,

                        Welcome to the list. If you go back through the past messages,
                        you'll see that we're a pretty diverse group, both geographically and
                        in interests.

                        On the diner front, the only one I recall in Fonda was the Hands'
                        Lunch, located on the north side of Main Street, at the corner of
                        Center Street, opposite the new Post Office (where the old Agway, nee
                        GLF, store used to was). It's been gone for some time now.

                        And being a diner freak, no doubt you faithfully follow the cartoon
                        series Zippy, whose author incorporates diners at the least
                        provocation. . .

                        Glenn
                      • RICHARD A. FINN

                          > Mike-There use to be a diner next to the tracks on S.Perry St. called
                          > the fairgrounds.We use to stop the train and go in for breakfast.An
                          > older gentleman we used to call Pops ran it.He had a little white beard
                          > that looked like Colonel Sanders.Maybe some of the historians know more
                          > about the place.  Mark Wilber

                          http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

                          Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
                          http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/

                          in New York State at
                          http://ny.existingstations.com/

                        • Richard W. Ryall
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 21, 2001
                            The building by the track I remember, however I`m not old enough to remember the actual
                            Fair Grounds in Johnstown, only the one in Fonda. dick

                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 21, 2001
                              Great to hear from you Mike! Welcome aboard! Just to clear things up
                              because of recent discussions! It more than OK to discuss Fulton County
                              businesses. It all come back to the FJG! Don't hesitate in the future
                              to discuss Ice Cream stands and gin-mills in Gloversville and Johnstown!

                              Gino

                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 21, 2001
                                I think you would call them lunch rooms, like the Capitol on Bleeker and
                                Ackel's on South Main. You're after the "diner" style. The Palace was not
                                from a trolley car at least not the one on 30A in Johnstown. I can't recall
                                where they were before they relocated out there. That route wasn't a
                                through route until around 1957.

                                The Golden Rooster was a luch room also with a long counter. What was the
                                place on North Main opposite the foot of First Ave, next to the toy store?
                                Maybe it has already been mentioned but the best late night fries and gravy
                                were at the diner on South Main St. near the old Morning Herald building.

                                PKL

                                >From: "mike engle" <speigletown@...>
                                >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Introduction
                                >Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 00:02:46 -0500
                                >

                                >Were the Red Rooser and Tegeo's authentic diner (prefabricated buildings)
                                >or
                                >where they in storefronts?
                                >
                                >Mike
                                >
                                > >From: skalbfel@...
                                > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                > >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Introduction
                                > >Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 04:46:32 -0000
                                > >
                                > >On Main Street in Gloversville, between 2nd and 3rd Aves, there was
                                > >the Golden Rooster. And on West Fulton Tegeo's.
                                > >Saul

                              • RICHARD A. FINN
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 21, 2001
                                  I think the original Palace Diner was on South Main St. just below the Kingsborough Hotel.  It might have been built in a "diner" style.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 21, 2001
                                    Seems like two names come to mind, City Dinner, and Pollys is that right?

                                    paul larner wrote:

                                    > I think you would call them lunch rooms, like the Capitol on Bleeker and
                                    > Ackel's on South Main. You're after the "diner" style. The Palace was not
                                    > from a trolley car at least not the one on 30A in Johnstown. I can't recall
                                    > where they were before they relocated out there. That route wasn't a
                                    > through route until around 1957.
                                    >
                                    > The Golden Rooster was a luch room also with a long counter. What was the
                                    > place on North Main opposite the foot of First Ave, next to the toy store?
                                    > Maybe it has already been mentioned but the best late night fries and gravy
                                    > were at the diner on South Main St. near the old Morning Herald building.
                                    >
                                    > PKL
                                    >
                                    > >From: "mike engle" <speigletown@...>
                                    > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                    > >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Introduction
                                    > >Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 00:02:46 -0500
                                    > >

                                    > >Were the Red Rooser and Tegeo's authentic diner (prefabricated buildings)
                                    > >or
                                    > >where they in storefronts?
                                    > >
                                    > >Mike
                                    > >
                                    > > >From: skalbfel@...
                                    > > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                    > > >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Introduction
                                    > > >Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 04:46:32 -0000
                                    > > >
                                    > > >On Main Street in Gloversville, between 2nd and 3rd Aves, there was
                                    > > >the Golden Rooster. And on West Fulton Tegeo's.
                                    > > >Saul

                                  • Richard W. Ryall
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 21, 2001
                                      I think your right....

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 22, 2001
                                        I think that Tegeo's is still there! That place plus the New York Lunch
                                        have great hot dogs!!!

                                        Gino DiCarlo
                                        ----------------------------------
                                        gdicarlo@...
                                        Quad Imaging Saratoga
                                        x4276

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 22, 2001
                                          The Very Best Indeed ! Thats how I keep my Boyish Figure!!----- Original
                                          Message -----
                                          > I think that Tegeo's is still there! That place plus the New York Lunch
                                          > have great hot dogs!!!
                                          >
                                          > Gino DiCarlo
                                          > ----------------------------------
                                          > gdicarlo@...
                                          > Quad Imaging Saratoga
                                          > x4276

                                          VirusWall.

                                        • mwilber@webtv.net
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 22, 2001
                                            "Tegeo's";I remember eating four hot dogs with that special meat sauce
                                            for lunch many times.
                                            The bad part about it,that I couldn't fit in his small booths.
                                            Mark
                                          • mike engle
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 23, 2001
                                              Thank you for the email.

                                              glad to know you all are receptive to vering slightly(or more than slightly)
                                              from the main topic at times).

                                              best Regards!
                                              mike engle

                                              >From: Gino And Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@...>
                                              >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                                              >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Introduction
                                              >Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 13:54:22 -0700
                                              >
                                              >Great to hear from you Mike! Welcome aboard! Just to clear things up
                                              >because of recent discussions! It more than OK to discuss Fulton County
                                              >businesses. It all come back to the FJG! Don't hesitate in the future
                                              >to discuss Ice Cream stands and gin-mills in Gloversville and Johnstown!
                                              >
                                              >Gino
                                              >
                                              > > From: "Mike engle" <speigletown@...>
                                              > > Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 03:37:01 -0000
                                              > > To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                              > > Subject: [FJGRailroad] Introduction
                                              > >
                                              > > Hello all.
                                              > >
                                              > > I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Mike engle. I'm from
                                              > > Troy, NY. I'm more interested in the historical importance ofthe
                                              > > railroad then the actual trains. The area od Gloversville and
                                              > > johnstown is charming and unique.
                                              > > Seeing that I am only 27, i enjoy hearing your stories of the places
                                              > > that used to be here and there.
                                              > > My primary interest, though, is diners. I've emailed Randy Decker
                                              > > already, but I haven't talked to anyone else from this board.
                                              > > The names I have for Gloversville are the Palace, Polly Izzo's Club
                                              > > diner, Lee's and Fred's. Plus there were some in Johnstown. There is
                                              > > a pic of one in johnstown on the Leader Herald's milennium page for
                                              > > the 50's but I can't place in my mind the location where it was. I
                                              > > was also told the Palace on 30A was an old trolley car???(i can't
                                              > > tell). Plus I believe there was one in Mayfield. And the one in
                                              > > Northampton on 30 was from Glens Falls.
                                              > > I also have the book "Trolley's down the Mohawk Valley"
                                              > > My one question about the R/R. Did the baseball teams in the late
                                              > > 40's take the railroad to the other locations?
                                              > >
                                              > > Mike engle
                                              > >

                                              > > Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
                                              > > http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/

                                              > > http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

                                              > > in New York State at
                                              > > http://ny.existingstations.com/
                                              > >
                                              > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                              >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                            • mike engle
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Feb 23, 2001
                                                Polly Izzo?

                                                I talked to a former city historian last year and I believe that is the
                                                diner she mentioned. Judy Marcoux is her name (former historian of
                                                Gloversville, i should be more specific)

                                                The Palace in gloversville was built in the mid 20's by the O'Mahony company
                                                and probably arrived by rail. It was widened before 1950(based on sanburn
                                                fire maps) If my memory serves me right. there was a diner on the same side
                                                a little south of the Palace in the very early 1900's ???? and if you
                                                went towards the 4 corners from the palace, and BEFORE you got there, took a
                                                right onto some sside road, there was a diner down there. I beieve this was
                                                after the 40's?

                                                The palace on Rt 30A. It's been renovated too much to tell. Either someone
                                                is going to specifically remember, or the building permit records might
                                                tell.

                                                Mike Engle

                                              • Roland Bowers
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Mar 23, 2001
                                                  Second Ave. comes into Main St. at an angle, and there was a brick building
                                                  there that was called the Flatiron building, and it was torn down to build
                                                  The Golden Rooster. The Golden Rooster was built by a neighbor of mine,
                                                  Wilford McCullough. It was of completely new materials.
                                                  Tegeo's moved in to a building already constructed, housing a tinsmith's
                                                  building, and owned or rented by Theron Blodgett