Introduction

  • Mark Holmstrup
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 8, 2000
      Hi all-

      Gino had a good idea about doing introductions; here's mine.

      My name is Mark Holmstrup, I'm 39, and live in Fredericksburg, Virginia.
      I'm employed by the U.S. Department of Transportation as an attorney,
      working on railroad-related legislative matters. I commute to
      Washington, DC, via the Virginia Railway Express and travel upwards of
      2,000 miles a month by rail.

      In what little spare time I have, I'm planning a model railroad. An
      ATSF-based layout was the plan until recently when I became aware of the
      FJG. I'm intrigued by the possibility of modeling an entire railroad
      (albeit a shortline) instead of a tiny portion of a Class I railroad. I
      model in N scale but am considering a switch to HO for the FJG.

      Thanks to Gino for moderating this list and for his outstanding website.
      Thanks also to Saul for sharing his magazine articles with me.

      Regards,
      Mark
      http://im.yahoo.com
    • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 8, 2000
        Thanks for participating Mark! My sister lives on the VRE line
        in Manassas. Every time I'm there, I miss the train to DC!

        Gino

      • psefton@crosslink.net
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 8, 2000
          So there's a fellow Virginian on the list !

          I've put up a few posts but have never really introduced myself. I'm Peter
          Sefton, of Alexandria, Virginia for the past 20 years. Although I'm not
          serious enough to be a railfan, I enjoy reading about Alexandria's railroad
          past. Until the mid-1980s, we were home to the Southern Railroad's giant
          Potomac Yard, and for many years the Southern was our biggest employer
          besides Uncle Sam. In fact, the 3 houses across the street were built for
          the trainmaster, yardmaster, and chief of the railroad police in 1930 and
          the neighborhood next to mine was originally a Southern company town called
          Potomac Falls. It was incorporated into the city of Alexandria just before
          WWII but the original name is still over the door of the firehouse.

          My connection to the FJG is through Northville & Sacandaga Park, starting
          around the turn of the last century. The family story (or perhaps myth) is
          that my great-great Uncle Willie showed up at Commodore Vanderbilt's old
          Grand Central Depot after a long binge, plunked down whatever change was
          left in his pockets, and said "get me as far away from here as I can go".
          That happened to be Sacandaga Park, and he started farming up in Gifford
          Valley above Parkville once he arrived. Later he moved down along the old
          River Road, which ran from Northville to the present day town of Fish House.
          When my grandfather and his brothers were young, they rode the train up from
          Brooklyn to work on Willie's farm each summer. Willie died in 1923, but his
          land stayed in the family, possibly because it was too poor for anyone to
          buy. Much of it is under Great Sacandaga today, but we've got some vacation
          houses on the corner that's left. I spend a week there every summer with my
          wife and children.

          My grandparents always spoke fondly of Sacandaga Park. Their favorite ride
          was the toboggan slide over the river, which they always referred to as
          "Shoot the Chutes" after its equivalent at Coney Island. A couple of my
          cousins recall riding the Park Merry-go-Round just before the lake came in
          in 1930. I just remember some 1970's survivors, like the Adirondack Inn,
          where another cousin worked during its final summer. I also remember the
          Orchard Inn standing shuttered for years beside the golf course, until it
          vanished without a trace over a winter. I regularly visit the old depot
          when I'm up. I don't know if anyone else on the list besides my brother has
          visited the Artpark on its grounds, but I highly recommend it. Mr. Faust,
          the sculptor who lives in a part of the depot, builds eirie mechanical men
          out of old gears, farm equipment, and . He also makes enormous and
          beautiful kalidescope disks from old industrial flywheels, marbles, chunks
          of broken glass, and even the prototype of a waterwheel my great-uncle gave
          him.

          In closing, I think we should all thank Gino. I've enjoyed his railfan page
          since about the time I got on the internet 3 years ago. And I was sorry
          about the Buffalo Bills, too.
        • GINO DICARLO (QUAD GRAPHICS, SARATOGA)
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 8, 2000
            Peter,

            Thanks so much for the interesting bio!!! Your family connection to the
            area is an interesting one. I think everyone's relatives who visited
            Sacandaga Park favorite memories is of the Roller Coaster and the Shoot
            the Chute. Tkanks again for providing the bio and feel free to send us
            some more Sacandaga memories becuase that too is a major part of the FJG
            history. Any history of the Valley (Larry Hart's "Sacandaga Story" or
            reflections of Northhampton (not sure of the author) contains a history
            of the Northville line and Sacandaga Park...

            Gino
          • Mike engle
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 20, 2001
              Hello all.

              I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Mike engle. I'm from
              Troy, NY. I'm more interested in the historical importance ofthe
              railroad then the actual trains. The area od Gloversville and
              johnstown is charming and unique.
              Seeing that I am only 27, i enjoy hearing your stories of the places
              that used to be here and there.
              My primary interest, though, is diners. I've emailed Randy Decker
              already, but I haven't talked to anyone else from this board.
              The names I have for Gloversville are the Palace, Polly Izzo's Club
              diner, Lee's and Fred's. Plus there were some in Johnstown. There is
              a pic of one in johnstown on the Leader Herald's milennium page for
              the 50's but I can't place in my mind the location where it was. I
              was also told the Palace on 30A was an old trolley car???(i can't
              tell). Plus I believe there was one in Mayfield. And the one in
              Northampton on 30 was from Glens Falls.
              I also have the book "Trolley's down the Mohawk Valley"
              My one question about the R/R. Did the baseball teams in the late
              40's take the railroad to the other locations?

              Mike engle
            • Randy & Lorraine Decker
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 20, 2001
                Way to go mike!! this is an interesting project those old lunch wagons
                were pretty neat! any of you guy's who may have a shot or two of these old
                diners locally please let Mike know I am looking myself I have a few but
                it would be nice to see them all!! I have been meaning to ask the history
                of the one in Northampton they still make the very best breakfast's around
                and the owners are quite a story ! I will try and get an article in the
                paper about this diner and these owners! their story is material for a Big
                Movie no kidding!! WW2, Bombers, POW's, Romance Underground resistance ! I
                will certainly see if they can let me know where this one came from !

              • mwilber@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 20, 2001
                  Mike-There use to be a diner next to the tracks on S.Perry St. called
                  the fairgrounds.We use to stop the train and go in for breakfast.An
                  older gentleman we used to call Pops ran it.He had a little white beard
                  that looked like Colonel Sanders.Maybe some of the historians know more
                  about the place. Mark Wilber
                • skalbfel@ix.netcom.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 20, 2001
                    On Main Street in Gloversville, between 2nd and 3rd Aves, there was
                    the Golden Rooster. And on West Fulton Tegeo's.
                    Saul

                    --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Mike engle" <speigletown@h...> wrote:
                    > Hello all.
                    >
                    > I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Mike engle. I'm from
                    > Troy, NY. I'm more interested in the historical importance ofthe
                    > railroad then the actual trains. The area od Gloversville and
                    > johnstown is charming and unique.
                    > Seeing that I am only 27, i enjoy hearing your stories of the
                    places
                    > that used to be here and there.
                    > My primary interest, though, is diners. I've emailed Randy
                    Decker
                    > already, but I haven't talked to anyone else from this board.
                    > The names I have for Gloversville are the Palace, Polly Izzo's
                    Club
                    > diner, Lee's and Fred's. Plus there were some in Johnstown. There
                    is
                    > a pic of one in johnstown on the Leader Herald's milennium page for
                    > the 50's but I can't place in my mind the location where it was. I
                    > was also told the Palace on 30A was an old trolley car???(i can't
                    > tell). Plus I believe there was one in Mayfield. And the one in
                    > Northampton on 30 was from Glens Falls.
                    > I also have the book "Trolley's down the Mohawk Valley"
                    > My one question about the R/R. Did the baseball teams in the
                    late
                    > 40's take the railroad to the other locations?
                    >
                    > Mike engle
                  • mike engle
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 20, 2001
                      Were the Red Rooser and Tegeo's authentic diner (prefabricated buildings) or
                      where they in storefronts?

                      Mike

                      >From: skalbfel@...
                      >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Introduction
                      >Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 04:46:32 -0000
                      >
                      >On Main Street in Gloversville, between 2nd and 3rd Aves, there was
                      >the Golden Rooster. And on West Fulton Tegeo's.
                      >Saul

                    • Randy & Lorraine Decker
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 21, 2001
                        Mark That Place was called the Fairgrounds (if you haven't already gotten
                        ten messages about it already?) because it was a Stop on the FJ&G Steam and
                        Elelctric Lines! This was, believe it or not, the actual site of the
                        Johnstwom Fair grounds and also the Fulton County Fair for many years early
                        on! It ran from Perry St. and took that whole section to the East, none of
                        those houses or anything was there then. they had a Horse race track and
                        some of the best came there and they had the huge Baseball grandstands this
                        was where the AJ&G Team held the New York State League Pennant in 1905 they
                        were Homed at the Sport Island grandstands before this! This was the First
                        of the Professional Minor League Baseball teams anywhere! and We had the
                        Winning team once! Interesting story this bunch later moved to the area that
                        is the Parkhurst Field now on Harrison St. and then with the Can Am Leagues
                        and a litle before that era the teams werr playing serious ball at the
                        Glovers Park where Walmart now stands this park was know for a long time as
                        Lovers Park someone painted over the G on the back of the stands! Hows
                        that for someone who never got to see any Baseball here!! all the cools
                        stuff happened before I was born!!!

                      • 103424.2304@compuserve.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 21, 2001
                          --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Mike engle" <speigletown@h...> wrote:
                          > Hello all.
                          > [snip]
                          >
                          > My primary interest, though, is diners. I've emailed Randy
                          > Decker already, but I haven't talked to anyone else from this
                          > board.
                          >
                          > [snip]
                          >
                          > Mike engle

                          Mike,

                          Welcome to the list. If you go back through the past messages,
                          you'll see that we're a pretty diverse group, both geographically and
                          in interests.

                          On the diner front, the only one I recall in Fonda was the Hands'
                          Lunch, located on the north side of Main Street, at the corner of
                          Center Street, opposite the new Post Office (where the old Agway, nee
                          GLF, store used to was). It's been gone for some time now.

                          And being a diner freak, no doubt you faithfully follow the cartoon
                          series Zippy, whose author incorporates diners at the least
                          provocation. . .

                          Glenn
                        • RICHARD A. FINN

                            > Mike-There use to be a diner next to the tracks on S.Perry St. called
                            > the fairgrounds.We use to stop the train and go in for breakfast.An
                            > older gentleman we used to call Pops ran it.He had a little white beard
                            > that looked like Colonel Sanders.Maybe some of the historians know more
                            > about the place.  Mark Wilber

                            http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

                            Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
                            http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/

                            in New York State at
                            http://ny.existingstations.com/

                          • Richard W. Ryall
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 21, 2001
                              The building by the track I remember, however I`m not old enough to remember the actual
                              Fair Grounds in Johnstown, only the one in Fonda. dick

                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 21, 2001
                                Great to hear from you Mike! Welcome aboard! Just to clear things up
                                because of recent discussions! It more than OK to discuss Fulton County
                                businesses. It all come back to the FJG! Don't hesitate in the future
                                to discuss Ice Cream stands and gin-mills in Gloversville and Johnstown!

                                Gino

                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 21, 2001
                                  I think you would call them lunch rooms, like the Capitol on Bleeker and
                                  Ackel's on South Main. You're after the "diner" style. The Palace was not
                                  from a trolley car at least not the one on 30A in Johnstown. I can't recall
                                  where they were before they relocated out there. That route wasn't a
                                  through route until around 1957.

                                  The Golden Rooster was a luch room also with a long counter. What was the
                                  place on North Main opposite the foot of First Ave, next to the toy store?
                                  Maybe it has already been mentioned but the best late night fries and gravy
                                  were at the diner on South Main St. near the old Morning Herald building.

                                  PKL

                                  >From: "mike engle" <speigletown@...>
                                  >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                  >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Introduction
                                  >Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 00:02:46 -0500
                                  >

                                  >Were the Red Rooser and Tegeo's authentic diner (prefabricated buildings)
                                  >or
                                  >where they in storefronts?
                                  >
                                  >Mike
                                  >
                                  > >From: skalbfel@...
                                  > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                  > >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Introduction
                                  > >Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 04:46:32 -0000
                                  > >
                                  > >On Main Street in Gloversville, between 2nd and 3rd Aves, there was
                                  > >the Golden Rooster. And on West Fulton Tegeo's.
                                  > >Saul

                                • RICHARD A. FINN
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 21, 2001
                                    I think the original Palace Diner was on South Main St. just below the Kingsborough Hotel.  It might have been built in a "diner" style.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 21, 2001
                                      Seems like two names come to mind, City Dinner, and Pollys is that right?

                                      paul larner wrote:

                                      > I think you would call them lunch rooms, like the Capitol on Bleeker and
                                      > Ackel's on South Main. You're after the "diner" style. The Palace was not
                                      > from a trolley car at least not the one on 30A in Johnstown. I can't recall
                                      > where they were before they relocated out there. That route wasn't a
                                      > through route until around 1957.
                                      >
                                      > The Golden Rooster was a luch room also with a long counter. What was the
                                      > place on North Main opposite the foot of First Ave, next to the toy store?
                                      > Maybe it has already been mentioned but the best late night fries and gravy
                                      > were at the diner on South Main St. near the old Morning Herald building.
                                      >
                                      > PKL
                                      >
                                      > >From: "mike engle" <speigletown@...>
                                      > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                      > >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Introduction
                                      > >Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 00:02:46 -0500
                                      > >

                                      > >Were the Red Rooser and Tegeo's authentic diner (prefabricated buildings)
                                      > >or
                                      > >where they in storefronts?
                                      > >
                                      > >Mike
                                      > >
                                      > > >From: skalbfel@...
                                      > > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                      > > >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Introduction
                                      > > >Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 04:46:32 -0000
                                      > > >
                                      > > >On Main Street in Gloversville, between 2nd and 3rd Aves, there was
                                      > > >the Golden Rooster. And on West Fulton Tegeo's.
                                      > > >Saul

                                    • Richard W. Ryall
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 21, 2001
                                        I think your right....

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 22, 2001
                                          I think that Tegeo's is still there! That place plus the New York Lunch
                                          have great hot dogs!!!

                                          Gino DiCarlo
                                          ----------------------------------
                                          gdicarlo@...
                                          Quad Imaging Saratoga
                                          x4276

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 22, 2001
                                            The Very Best Indeed ! Thats how I keep my Boyish Figure!!----- Original
                                            Message -----
                                            > I think that Tegeo's is still there! That place plus the New York Lunch
                                            > have great hot dogs!!!
                                            >
                                            > Gino DiCarlo
                                            > ----------------------------------
                                            > gdicarlo@...
                                            > Quad Imaging Saratoga
                                            > x4276

                                            VirusWall.

                                          • mwilber@webtv.net
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 22, 2001
                                              "Tegeo's";I remember eating four hot dogs with that special meat sauce
                                              for lunch many times.
                                              The bad part about it,that I couldn't fit in his small booths.
                                              Mark
                                            • mike engle
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Feb 23, 2001
                                                Thank you for the email.

                                                glad to know you all are receptive to vering slightly(or more than slightly)
                                                from the main topic at times).

                                                best Regards!
                                                mike engle

                                                >From: Gino And Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@...>
                                                >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                                                >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Introduction
                                                >Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 13:54:22 -0700
                                                >
                                                >Great to hear from you Mike! Welcome aboard! Just to clear things up
                                                >because of recent discussions! It more than OK to discuss Fulton County
                                                >businesses. It all come back to the FJG! Don't hesitate in the future
                                                >to discuss Ice Cream stands and gin-mills in Gloversville and Johnstown!
                                                >
                                                >Gino
                                                >
                                                > > From: "Mike engle" <speigletown@...>
                                                > > Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 03:37:01 -0000
                                                > > To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                                > > Subject: [FJGRailroad] Introduction
                                                > >
                                                > > Hello all.
                                                > >
                                                > > I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Mike engle. I'm from
                                                > > Troy, NY. I'm more interested in the historical importance ofthe
                                                > > railroad then the actual trains. The area od Gloversville and
                                                > > johnstown is charming and unique.
                                                > > Seeing that I am only 27, i enjoy hearing your stories of the places
                                                > > that used to be here and there.
                                                > > My primary interest, though, is diners. I've emailed Randy Decker
                                                > > already, but I haven't talked to anyone else from this board.
                                                > > The names I have for Gloversville are the Palace, Polly Izzo's Club
                                                > > diner, Lee's and Fred's. Plus there were some in Johnstown. There is
                                                > > a pic of one in johnstown on the Leader Herald's milennium page for
                                                > > the 50's but I can't place in my mind the location where it was. I
                                                > > was also told the Palace on 30A was an old trolley car???(i can't
                                                > > tell). Plus I believe there was one in Mayfield. And the one in
                                                > > Northampton on 30 was from Glens Falls.
                                                > > I also have the book "Trolley's down the Mohawk Valley"
                                                > > My one question about the R/R. Did the baseball teams in the late
                                                > > 40's take the railroad to the other locations?
                                                > >
                                                > > Mike engle
                                                > >

                                                > > Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
                                                > > http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/

                                                > > http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

                                                > > in New York State at
                                                > > http://ny.existingstations.com/
                                                > >
                                                > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                                >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                              • mike engle
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Feb 23, 2001
                                                  Polly Izzo?

                                                  I talked to a former city historian last year and I believe that is the
                                                  diner she mentioned. Judy Marcoux is her name (former historian of
                                                  Gloversville, i should be more specific)

                                                  The Palace in gloversville was built in the mid 20's by the O'Mahony company
                                                  and probably arrived by rail. It was widened before 1950(based on sanburn
                                                  fire maps) If my memory serves me right. there was a diner on the same side
                                                  a little south of the Palace in the very early 1900's ???? and if you
                                                  went towards the 4 corners from the palace, and BEFORE you got there, took a
                                                  right onto some sside road, there was a diner down there. I beieve this was
                                                  after the 40's?

                                                  The palace on Rt 30A. It's been renovated too much to tell. Either someone
                                                  is going to specifically remember, or the building permit records might
                                                  tell.

                                                  Mike Engle

                                                • Roland Bowers
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Mar 23, 2001
                                                    Second Ave. comes into Main St. at an angle, and there was a brick building
                                                    there that was called the Flatiron building, and it was torn down to build
                                                    The Golden Rooster. The Golden Rooster was built by a neighbor of mine,
                                                    Wilford McCullough. It was of completely new materials.
                                                    Tegeo's moved in to a building already constructed, housing a tinsmith's
                                                    building, and owned or rented by Theron Blodgett