Cayadutta Park

  • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2000
      I sent this message from work the other night and Randy
      said he didn't get it. I'm posting it again just to be safe...

      From: "GINO DICARLO (QUAD GRAPHICS, SARATOGA)" <GDICARLO@...>

      Hi everyone,

      A guy writes my web-page fairly ofetn to ask me questions about
      Cayadutta Park. All I can answer him is about the water falls that
      I've seen in Cayadutta postcards. That's located right near where
      the old ROW crosses Route 30. I'm not really sure where the park
      itself was, or where the station was located. Anybody want to
      give us their Cayadutta Park Info? How about when the park was
      laid to rest? I believe it was built around 1893. Also, what's
      the name of the creek that runs through there, I know it's not the
      Cayadutta. A nice thing about the Cayadutta Electric through there,
      you can trace it all the way from Fonda up to Old Post Road. There
      are still some ties left in the roadbed...

      Gino
    • Randy & Lorraine Decker
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2000
        Cayadutta ParkThanks Gino The location is correct! The park was on the Electric line between Fonda and were it turned to the east and crossed what is now rt 30A from here the line went up and over the hill to the Sulfur Springs Junction. This Park was built by the Cayadutta right from the beggining in 1893-94 as a small attempt to keep passenger traffic on the Electric lines due to the popularity of the Steam lines Park at Sacandaga. I think they made an attempt to make this park as nice as they could in the small area they had to work in but by this time the Sacandaga Park had grown to emense proportions and the little park at Cayadutta was going to be a nice picnic area but they did not have the room for golf corses or a grandstands and Baseball field and other amusemnts. I have a few shots of this park in my book 77-78 but only have a couple more to chose from There must be some family photo's taken at an outing that would show us more of what was there but I have not found them yet!! This is a tough one to find pictures of?? Is there anyone who can help with photo's from this Park??? I am also looking for more information and Photo's on the Cresent Park in Amsterdam?? Thanks Randy

        From: "GINO DICARLO (QUAD GRAPHICS, SARATOGA)" <GDICARLO@...>

        Hi everyone,

        A guy writes my web-page fairly ofetn to ask me questions about
        Cayadutta Park. All I can answer him is about the water falls that
        I've seen in Cayadutta postcards. That's located right near where
        the old ROW crosses Route 30. I'm not really sure where the park
        itself was, or where the station was located. Anybody want to
        give us their Cayadutta Park Info? How about when the park was
        laid to rest? I believe it was built around 1893. Also, what's
        the name of the creek that runs through there, I know it's not the
        Cayadutta. A nice thing about the Cayadutta Electric through there,
        you can trace it all the way from Fonda up to Old Post Road. There
        are still some ties left in the roadbed...

        Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
        http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/