Re: [FJGRailroad] Electric locomotives

  • Malcolm Horton
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2002

      Concerning electrics on the Hoosac Tunnel, this tunnel is 4.75 miles long and took 24 years to build (1851-1875). There was an obvious problem with smoke when hard working steam locomotives passed thru. When electric locomotive technolgy became available, the tunnel was electrified. The fires on the steam locomotives could be banked and the electric locomotives could pull the trains thru the tunnel. The electric power source came from a hydroelectric plant on the river at the east end of the tunnel. It was 25 cycles. I knew the GE engineer who had designed the generators.

      Malcolm Horton

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2002
        While we are on electrics, do we have any experts on the Electrics
        through the Hoosac Tunnel on the Boston And Maine ? How about electrics
        from Harmon to Grand Central ?

        Steve Myers
        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
      • glenn_j_williams
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2002
          --- In FJGRailroad@y..., Knixrule1@j... wrote:
          > While we are on electrics, do we have any experts on the Electrics
          > through the Hoosac Tunnel on the Boston And Maine ? How about
          > electrics from Harmon to Grand Central ?
          >

          > Steve Myers

          Steve,

          I don't consider myself an expert on the NYC motors but I was
          certainly around them enough in the late 50s and early 60s.

          A large number of NYC websites with good references to them abound.

          Glenn
        • Knixrule1@juno.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2002
            I think the number of men that died during her construction was 136, in a
            history book from the 1800's that I read stated that 136 Irish men died
            building the Hoosac, a small price to pay for a 43/4 mile tunnel. It was
            also the first place to use tri nitro glycerine in the U.S. Dr. Mowbray
            set up a factory close to the tunnel to manufacture the nitro. There are
            some explosive stories to read with the use of nitro glycerene at the
            Hoosac.

            Steve Myers