Re: [FJGRailroad] urban rail transport

  • Knixrule1@juno.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 3, 2002
      I loved the Washington DC system when it was new, rode it a lot, Bostons
      T service is cool, but of course Im a B & M fan, bring back the RDC's.
      While I lived in Philly last year, they told me hardly anyone rides their
      rails except tourists.

      Steve M.
      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
    • Lee Morelli

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 3, 2002
          I visited my niece who was in Philly waiting for a heart transplant
          in fall of 2000. My impression was that the line to the airport was
          heavily used. But it may be that like so many other systems, the
          locals only use it during rush hour.

          Dan Owens
        • Knixrule1@juno.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 4, 2002
            RDC, Rail Diesel Car, self propelled passenger car to save money rather
            than run a whole passenger train. The B & M owned the largest fleet of
            RDC's. You could ride an RDC from Troy, NY to Boston.

            Steve M.
            GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
          • Dick Ryall
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 4, 2002
              You can now ride about 500 miles north of Vancover B.C. on BC Rails Budd
              cars, in regular service out of Vancover,have done it...

              Knixrule1@... wrote:

              > RDC, Rail Diesel Car, self propelled passenger car to save money rather
              > than run a whole passenger train. The B & M owned the largest fleet of
              > RDC's. You could ride an RDC from Troy, NY to Boston.
              >
              > Steve M.
              > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
              > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

            • Lee Morelli
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 5, 2002
                How recently could you do ride an RDC to Boston?

                > RDC, Rail Diesel Car, self propelled passenger car to save money rather
                > than run a whole passenger train. The B & M owned the largest fleet of
                > RDC's. You could ride an RDC from Troy, NY to Boston.
                >
                > Steve M.
              • cf76triumph
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 5, 2002
                  There were enough Gloversville and Johnstown people working at GE in
                  the 1950's to easily fill several RDC cars between there and the GE
                  works in Schenectady. RDC's were pretty light. FJG rail could have
                  supported them. I just wonder how they would do climbing out of the
                  valley.
                  Saul

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 6, 2002
                    Heck, in the 50's they could have run gas car 202! They would have
                    had to get to the NYC then switch over to the West Shore to get to
                    GE I think!

                  • Knixrule1@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 6, 2002
                      I think 1958 was the end , the tracks from Johnsonville to Troy are all
                      gone now, but the Johnsonville tower and station remain.

                      Steve

                      On Sat, 05 Jan 2002 16:15:11 -0500 "Lee Morelli"
                      <Morelli@...> writes:
                      > How recently could you do ride an RDC to Boston?
                      >
                      > > RDC, Rail Diesel Car, self propelled passenger car to save money
                      > rather
                      > > than run a whole passenger train. The B & M owned the largest
                      > fleet of
                      > > RDC's. You could ride an RDC from Troy, NY to Boston.
                      > >
                      > > Steve M.

                      > http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

                      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                    • stevefjg20
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 6, 2002
                        ---Hey Steve don't forget the roundhouse on Middleburgh ST in Troy
                        you can still see were the hostler oh so many years ago put a steam
                        engine through the back of the roundhouse.Go by it almost every day i
                        hate going up hossic st.Makes for a nice detour.

                        Steve

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 6, 2002
                          Steve,

                          Where is that roundhouse? Paul Larner and I went by there, but
                          he couldn't remember where it was!!! There are also some bridges
                          still in on the old B & M between Troy and Johnsonville! Here's
                          a question, when was the B & M abandoned out of Troy?

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 6, 2002
                            Steve,

                            I knew the tracks were gone, but I saw a few highway bridges that were the B
                            & M.
                            Speaking of bridges, did you notice that they took out the NYC & HR RR Nott
                            Street
                            bridge in Schenectady? It's so weird not seeing a bridge over there! When
                            did that
                            disapear?

                            Gino

                            > ----------

                          • stevefjg20
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 6, 2002
                              ---I'll take you there Gino when you come down and i'll show you
                              whats left if you want.I can show you were it ran through Troy most
                              of the way to Johnsonville.The last passenger train was run Jan 18
                              1958 Freight i don't know but i know Steve M would know.The tracks
                              were taken up in the early 70's if my memories serve me right Steve
                              would know that one to.

                              Steve

                              In
                              FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
                              > Steve,
                              >
                              > Where is that roundhouse? Paul Larner and I went by there, but
                              > he couldn't remember where it was!!! There are also some bridges
                              > still in on the old B & M between Troy and Johnsonville! Here's
                              > a question, when was the B & M abandoned out of Troy?
                              >
                              > Gino

                            • Lee Morelli
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 7, 2002
                                Where is Johnsonville?

                                >>> Knixrule1@... 1/6/02 11:43:18 AM >>>

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 7, 2002
                                  Johnsonville is east of Mechanicville, a little town.