Re: [FJGRailroad] newspaper blurbs

    Message 1 of 58 , Jan 2, 2002
      The missing link in the chain of electric railroads across the state of New
      York was between Johnstown and Little Falls. Though a railroad was planned
      several times over the years for this coridor one was never built.
      Initially the link was a steam railroad to connect the Fitchburg with the
      road's south from Utica to carry coal to New England, independent of the D&H
      (predecessor) and NYC interests (the Fitchburg branch line that became the
      S&S was part of this plan). Construction of the NYWS&B in 1883 made this
      route unnecessary, though it's subsequent inclusion under the NYC umbrella
      kept the idea alive. Shortly after the turn of the century (20th) electric
      investors also schemed to connect the Ballston Terminal with Little Falls
      through Vail's Mills, Johnston and west. This line was allied with the
      Mountain Lake Electric which was to secure a route into and through
      Gloversville fully intemding to provide competition to the FJ&G. They
      secured a rout through Gloversville via Bleeker St. and somehow, not sure
      right now, south toward Johnstown. There was also to be a link to Amsterdam
      from the Broadalbin area. I have seen the engineers route map which I
      bvelieve is filed at the county building in Johnstown. Financing blew the
      plan apart among other things.

      The FJ&G was also involved in their own plan to fill the void with their
      Johnstown and Little Falls Railroad.

      The idea died finally in the early twenties as the automobile showed it
      would eat up all the trolley's potential.

      Interesting that Hees continued to invest the FJ&G in electric expansion
      when he was an early advocate of the automobile and should have seen it's
      potential. (That was acted on by Henry Ford) Hees should have built the
      FJ&G turnpike to Schenectady rather than a trolley road; it would have been
      more viable than the trolley in the long run and avoided the reorganization
      between 1932 and 1943. Think of this and you will understand what the real
      business of he and his co-investors was.

      PKL

      Message 58 of 58 , Jan 8, 2002
        Good one Rich!! Mark