Vail Mills

  • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
      Vail Mills I asked a visitor to my web-page about the waiting shelter in Vail Mills and if he
      knew when it was removed.  Here is the info he sent me...

      Gino

      ----------

      Hi Gino:
         Thanks for the comeback, as to your question on the old Vail Mills station, It had to be at the same time the new Rt 29 was changed. Our home sat just about where the traffic light is now.  When the new road went in, my home was moved South on the East side about an 1/8 of a mile and as I remember the station was moved when they installed the new drains for a little creekbed. It would have been handy right now, for this is where the foot and bike trail end at Rt 30 and 29 intersection.  I truthfully don't know if the station was torn down or if someone had removed it intact. We were so busy in having our house moved, everything was in a termoil. We have been in the area 57 years,and have seen many changes. Oh yes, ther was a siding right in front of where the new info station is and the lumber Co, on top of the hill used to unload the boxcars of lumber there. Also
      the Feed and coal station in Broadalbin used the freight facilities just about every day.
           Enough already, this is getting to look like a book.
                                                     I hope I was of some help.  Stan

      From: "Stan Czelusniak" <buffie@...>
      Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 21:01:36 -0500
      To: <gino@...>
      Subject: FJG News

       Hi Gino:
            Having just scanned your article on the old FJG Railroad, it brings back many memories.  My Wife and Daughters used to ride it from Vail Mills To Gloversville to go shopping while I was at work. They still talk about the fun ride it was as it rocked and screeched on its way.  My early home was right across Rt. 30 from the little train station.
             Thanks again for the pleasant memories.
                                                                        truly, Stan Czelusniak  (buffie@...)