Coal on the FJG

  • cf76triumph
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2001
      I've been quiet for a while. I got a few days behind reading messages
      and couldn't catch up. I'd like to work on a list of who the coal
      customers were that received carload shipments. Paul mentioned that on
      Foster St. alone there were several coal customers. Did someone say a
      while back that during WWII when the mills were going around the clock
      the air was pretty dirty from all the coal being burned. Happy New
      Year to All!
      Saul Kalbfeld
      West Bloomfield, Michigan
    • stevefjg20
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 31, 2001
        ---Hi Saul good to hear from you again,that sounds like a good idea
        dise any body know if anybody in Johnstown got car load shipments of
        coal?

        Steve

        In FJGRailroad@y..., "cf76triumph" <skalbfel@i...> wrote:

        > I'd like to work on a list of who the coal
        > customers were that received carload shipments. Paul mentioned that
        on
        > Foster St. alone there were several coal customers. Did someone say
        > while back that during WWII when the mills were going around the
        clock
        > the air was pretty dirty from all the coal being burned. Happy New
        > Year to All!
        > Saul Kalbfeld
        > West Bloomfield, Michigan
      • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 31, 2001
          There must have been a ton of coal customers in Fulton County! Coal
          was big business for the FJG!!! I'm sure all the tanneries used it
          and I'm sure every other business did too! Johnstown had a coal
          barn off of Washington Street and in their Johnstown Yards so I'm
          sure many local Johnstown businesses got it! That's not even talking
          about people who got coal too! I think most houses used coal for heat!
          Gloversville had the coal house in the Gloversville Yards, both ends
          and there was the coal silos off of Kingsboro and the coal house
          off of 11th Ave in Gloversville. Right across from Jones and Naughton!

          Gino

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 31, 2001
            There were several coal dealers in Johnstown with their own sidings. Can't
            list now because I have to get to 291 at 4:30 but remind me.

            PKL