Re: '54 Time Table, I hope this works!!! Paul

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 23, 1999
      Thanks.

      I should bring my stuff down from home to here. I don't like to move it,
      but I'd at least have it for reference. I don't recall if I read it or not
      so I'll ask-- What is the interest you have in the FJ&G.. how acquired,
      interests, history, modeling artifact collecting etc.

      I grew up in G'ville and some how drifted toward an interest in railroads.
      FJ&G being the only show in town it became the first love and remains that
      way today. I left G'ville in 1967 forever in all practical purposes. Other
      than an occassional vist I was not able to do any research, talking and did
      not follow the demise of the railroad after Walter Rich bought it. I should
      say I came around once in a while but never to accomplish anything
      significant. My FJ&G is prior to 1974. Green PC box cars bought for per
      diem purposes and not primarily to serve the needs of local industry don't
      seem to fit for me. I believe the Thrall Door cars were used in Broadalbin,
      but they too were a hot item for a while in the freight car market likely
      being acquired for the high per diem they paid the owners. That was a period
      when speculators were into the freight car ownership market and they needed
      a railroad to carry the marks of their investment. Good business but not
      what the FJ&G was to my memory. When the market went bust around 1984, so
      did the FJ&G. State of NY put a lot of money into the pockets of the
      contract companies which installed 132 lb rail and gated crossings in Fulton
      county.

      Do you collect FJ&G artifacts. I'm looking for ETT 108, 109 and 110.
      I have earlier duplicates to swap if you or someone you know would have
      duplicates of these.

      Well I've got to et off the line now. Be back tomorrow.

      PKL

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 23, 1999
        I really knew nothing of the FJ&G until a series of articles appeared in Model
        Railroader back in '77. Being a modeler looking for the ultimate shortline to
        model, I was surprised at how much of a good thing this was (unfortunately all
        good thing come to an end, as they say). I was able to find a few more articles
        published by Trains magizine in 1960, a freind had received from a widow of a
        guy he know. The more I read, the more that I wanted to know. For years I have
        collected the odd Employees Time Table from a guy in Connecticut, Carl Loucks,
        and once in a very blue moon, one would appear for the FJ&G, and that's how I
        obtained ETT #100. There has been a few more that have popped up in his list,
        some were a little too expensive at the time, too bad. After reading the
        articles in the 1960 Trains magazine, I'm sure that I will model the FJ&G in the
        late '50's, when I get the right space to do it properly. Back in the mid
        '80's, I did make an attemp at modelling Fonda in HO. Even at 24ft long, it was
        too compressed for me. Entire blocks were gone, no little string of houses
        before the overpass, lost all the character that makes the place interesting.
        I'm also one of those operational freaks. With the FJ&G, you get to do it all,
        not just some little portion of a huge railroad.

        When I do get a scanner, I do have something to offer to the group, the ETT, and
        a series of photos showing everythig from the overpass to the enginehouse.
        Every building that was there, just after the railroad was shut down. For any
        of the modelers out there, this should help out a lot.

        That's about it for me, never got to see the line 'in the flesh', so after I
        got on the internet, I was able to find Gino's FJ&G pages, and the learning
        cycle started again.

        PKC

      • Stanleyb23@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 23, 1999
          In a message dated 8/23/99 20:09:32 Eastern Daylight Time,
          pklarner@... writes:

          << tried to open up the ETT but received gibberish. Suspect I don't have the
          correct program loaded in this machine. As I was reading the message in the
          digest it appears to have been edited. Did you receive a separate email
          with a longer message? >>
          The file appears to be in Quattro Pro version 7 or 8. I only have MS Excel
          97 at home and could not open it, although I can open older versions of
          Quattro.
          I am taking the file to work, where I have both Quattro Pro 8 and Excel 97
          available and I will open the file, save it in Excel format and then bring it
          home and upload it in that format and maybe the old Lotus 1-2-3 format, too.
          sometime tomorrow evening.

          -stan
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 24, 1999
            Great Stan,

            The file is in Corel Quattra Pro 7, if that helps at all. I wasn't sure if this
            was going to work, now I know!

            Paul

          • Stanleyb23@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 24, 1999
              In a message dated 8/24/99 08:00:49 Eastern Daylight Time,
              p.charlie@... writes:

              << Great Stan,

              The file is in Corel Quattra Pro 7, if that helps at all. I wasn't sure if
              this
              was going to work, now I know!

              Paul >>

              OK, here comes the fiile in Excel 97 attached to this msg.

              -stan
            • Stanleyb23@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 24, 1999
                p.charlie@... writes:

                << Great Stan,

                The file is in Corel Quattra Pro 7, if that helps at all. I wasn't sure if
                this
                was going to work, now I know!

                Paul >>

                ok, now this msg has the file attached in Lotus 1-2-3 and/or MS Works as a
                .wks file.

                -stan