Perspective Distortion

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2000
      Lens mechanics can alter the shape of buildings' depth, width and height.
      Actually, height and depth are the easiest to distort through the use of
      wide-angle lenses. Wide-angles "expand" space while telephotos "compress"
      it.

      I have some examples of perspective distortion (as the phenomenon is called)
      in pictures I've taken myself. If anyone is interested, I can scan them and
      post them to the site.

      From what I've seen, a lot of early postcards were taken with wide-angle
      lenses. Take, for instance, a rather popular view of the Kingsboro Hotel in
      Gloversville. You'd think the place was a mile tall!

      Even the shots of the old Windsor Hotel make it look much longer than the
      space where it used to fit.

      From: Randy & Lorraine Decker <rldecker@...>
      To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
      Date: Thursday, January 27, 2000 7:53 AM