FJ&G Schedule questions re:1954

  • pklarner@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22 11:00 AM
      This question appeared in digest number 8 from Paul Charland. Let me see if this sheds some light . I am not at my home thus don't have access to the ETT's, however the schedule stayed pretty much the same for years, and where the schedule varied he operation was essentially the same. As you recall the FJ&G handled mail and express business until some time in the late fifties and the mail after the express was gone until either late 1964 or early 1965. This was accomplished using gas car 340 or a diesel and combine, when the 340 was on the mend. (The 201 was held for back up service for a number of years but I don't recall ever seeing it operate, for what that's worth).

      The first train down in the mornig was the gas car. It went to the station picked up mail and express from the NYC then went back to Gloversville station where it unloaded into truck for distribution to the Gloversville Post Office. Iremember seeing the FJ&G trucks lined up behing the Post Office. Whether they took the mail from there to the other former stations or directly off the gas car I don't know. I do not know if the Johnstown mail was taken off at Johnstiown or delivered from Gloversville.

      The gas car made three daily round trips, morning, noon and evening.

      During this period I believe the railroad had three regular road crews: gas car, hill, and Broadalbin. I don't know when they came to work so let me speculate as a basis for obtaining clarification. The B and gas car crews were probably on duty first as those two trains left town earliest. Next came the hill crew which would gather their cars and head south to pick up the interchange. This freight which went down later in the morning, came back to Johnstown, went down again then came back to Gloversville. The Broadalbin took the mixed to Broadalbin, returned to Gloversville, worked the local traffic. Now this is where I am real cloudy. Something has me believing the Gloversville crew went to Johnstown and swapped cars with the "hill" crew, which the "hill" crew took down on their second trip. The hill crew did the Johnstown work the Broadalbin crew did the Gloversville work. The express crew made three trips to Fonda and return.

      The spare board consisted of the truck and bus drivers and who else I'm not aware. They belonged to the same union. Those employees who handled Steam trains prior to the trucks and busses retained their union membership and seniority what changed was the mode. Those employees who operated the trolleys retained their organization and operated the busses where the trolleys formerly operated. I don't know if these crafts interchanged.

      If there ever was a strictly Gloversville yard crew I don't know when it ceased to function. The jobs came off with the retirements of the people who ran them or so it seems. In the sixties there was just one crew backed up by the truck drivers. Some of the truck drivers had Maintenance of Way seniority, which would help show how men were kept working. Takes us back to an age when companies cared about their social obligations and not just the stock price. When the mail business was lost there was just one employee driving who had MOW seniority. Another was a trainman, later becoming the engineer,and I suppose the others were regretably laid off. This was a good company, owned by people with a local interest other than what the state, and community could put in their pocket.

      The FJ&G, like another company I worked for, were not the same after they were sold. The track may run in the same location, but to employees and other observers who knew both, the new company is not the old.

      That's too much. Clarification is welcome. I regret that was not around to talk to some of the former employeesduring the seventies. So if you know some of the blanks please help.

      Paul