FJG Boxcars

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2001
      Here are some emails Paul Charland sent to the group a while back concerning
      the FJG's
      fleet of boxcars....

      If it helps any, the 1980 ORER shows the FJ&G with 204 cars and the LASB
      with 89.

      The boxcars that the FJ&G picked up from the PC were nothing special.
      Externally, these would look like your off the shelf steam era cars
      available from Micro-Trains. The 50' cars had Superior six panel doors, not
      too sure about the 40 footers. The FJ&G had two sets of all door boxcars,
      the 29000 and 40000 series. One was Thrall, the other Pacific Car and
      Foundry as I remember. The light blue 29000s probably were just leased, and
      eventually turned up wearing USLX reporting marks. The dark blue 40000
      series stayed with the FJ&G, but also served on other DO railroads.

      The Thrall cars were basically really strong ends and a stronger then normal
      roof with doors. The two outer doors were sliding doors not unlike a
      regular boxcar, with the two center doors being plug doors. Any two or
      three doors could be opened at one time to access up to half the car at a
      time, two to open the center of the car, and three to open either end.

      "End of Car Cushioned" refers to the way the couplers are attached to the
      frame, they are on a long sprung assembly (Evens cushioning system uses
      hydraulics instead of springs) so that any impact will be reduced and
      therefore reduce the chance of the cargo shifting and damaging the end of
      the car or the cargo.

      I may be wrong but the lumber being loaded in Broadalbin appears to be rough
      cut pine, probably being sent out to become furniture or finished lumber.
      Whatever it was, it was not finished lumber, a shot in the '79 MR article
      shows one of the cars being loaded and the length of the lumber in the
      bundle is staggered, common for rough sawn lumber.

      Here's one from Paul Larner...

      The 238 box cars were acquired from PC about March 1975. 138 50 footers and
      100 40 footers. A note says "owned by Harvey Ind. Inc. Jena, L.A. and
      subject to a security interest of Chemical Bank. Recorded with the I.C.C. as
      owned by Harvey Enterprises, Inc. Huntington , N. Y. etc.

      Local story was they were owned by FJ&G and used to offset the cost of using
      other railroads cars. Darn another thread to trace - Harvey Enterprises,
      Inc. Guess I'll finally have to make that trip to the secretary of state's
      office.