I was there and looking!!

  • mwilber@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 4, 2001
      Gino- I saw a few Buffalo Bills hats,but none with pins on them.I also
      was looking for Walt.I ran into a few friends with NYSW and Adirondack
      Senic but not the FJG.I'll try again at the Egg. Mark
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 4, 2001
        We were there in force (3). Dave Refue, my wife and I; I have tickets 2006
        and 2007 (started at 2001). Even wore my FJ&G cap which I usually don't do.
        Stayed till about 12:30 and didn't see anyone else either.

        I won't go again though, it was not nearly as good a show as the Albany
        show. Too much attention to model layouts and too few dealers (even of
        modelling items), though I understand a couple didn't show up (it will take
        more than a couple to perk it up). It still lacks the depth of the Albany
        and Springfield shows. Even Bob's Photos wasn't there though we did manage
        to find a few new shots of our favorite road among the four photo sellers.
        Was a time when these club shows were an opportunity for the members to
        offer their duplicates and tired of's to the rest of the crowd while using
        the middle man in the trade (uncle sam) as the vehicle for completing a
        trade (purchase) of something new they wanted. Seems now everything is
        dealers and professional vendors, few amateurs.

        As an aside for those who can remember the Edaville shows. They started
        primarily with collectibles and gradually went to models. As more models
        moved in and the collectibles decreased, the crowds became less and that
        show eventually died. Perhaps someone from the area can be more informative
        and correct as to the real cause of its demise but that's how a few of us
        outsiders from Vermont, who went each year, perceived it. Unfortunately the
        hobby has expanded while the supply of collectibles has remained the same or
        decreased by going into museums, never to be seen. The cost of collectibles
        may still be modest in some areas but it's tough to find affordable stuff of
        any rarity (not impossible). Even the photos were realistically priced,
        except for the ALCO group which asked three times what any of the others was
        asking - $11.00 vs. $3.00 to $3.75. Why?

        I guess it's easier and more lucrative to sell on eBay than it is to pack,
        tote, unpack, hope, repack, tote and store.

        Overall it was a good day; had great luck on the way home in Little Falls
        and Fort Plain.

        PKL

        >From: mwilber@...
        >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [FJGRailroad] I was there and looking!!
        >Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 14:51:14 -0500 (EST)
        >
        >Gino- I saw a few Buffalo Bills hats,but none with pins on them.I also
        >was looking for Walt.I ran into a few friends with NYSW and Adirondack
        >Senic but not the FJG.I'll try again at the Egg. Mark

      • Walt Danylak
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 4, 2001
          --- In FJGRailroad@y..., mwilber@w... wrote:
          Gino- I saw a few Buffalo Bills hats,but none with pins on them.I also
          was looking for Walt.I ran into a few friends with NYSW and Adirondack
          Senic but not the FJG.I'll try again at the Egg. Mark

          Mark & Paul,

          I was also there. Arrived about 11:00. Did not see any of the FJ&G
          group. I did find one of the Bev-Bel HO FJ&G (DO) blue box cars.
          Talked with a few of the photo dealers I know and they said they sold
          a number of FJ&G photos, I would guess to Paul, Dave and/or Gino, if
          he was there. We won't have a problem meeting at the Egg. Most
          everyone stops by my FJ&G display table.

          Walt
        • mwilber@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 4, 2001
            Hey Walt-Not to be funny but were you standing in the middle of the
            Center of Progress building eating an ice cream cone at about 1130? But
            I didnt know if that was you or not. Mark
          • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 5, 2001
              Walt,

              I just missed you at the S-Gauge display! I did run into Dave Reffue though
              and he told me I just missed Paul Larner! I looked all over for a Suzy-Q
              hat Mark and didn't see you! I thought the show was awesome! I can't
              believe it was in 2 buildings! I do wish there were more books and
              pictures, but the modeling end was fabulous!!! The Adirondack Scenic
              Railroad was
              selling a VHS tape of their run from Thendara to Lake Placid and I bought
              that! It is a great tape!!! Maybe we'll hook up with some other people at
              the Albany show!

            • mwilber@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 5, 2001
                Gino-What day in Dec is it?Youre right about the lay outs.I wish there
                were more railroads there to be represented.But mostly my grandson
                enjoyed seeing all the little trains,so it made my day. Mark
                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 5, 2001
                  Speaking of the Bev-Bel HO FJG/DO cars, I may have mentioned before that one
                  of the cars
                  they are offering is numbered the same as one of the real ones that was set
                  on fire behind
                  Coleco in 1983. I have some more pictures of the after-fire remains of that
                  car if anyone
                  is interested in customizing theirs so it looks like the real deal! A
                  little brown and black
                  paint and you could give your car a special touch! I picked up another one
                  at the show so
                  I can make it look like the burned out deal!

                  Gino

                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 5, 2001
                    Mark,

                    Your grandson didn't take a ride in the train they had there and climb out
                    when it went through
                    the tunnel, did he? My son was getting dragged around by the thing! Thank
                    God he didn't break
                    anything! Yeah, there were some awesome layouts there! My son really liked
                    the O-Scale
                    McDonalds Train! Hey, I asked the old guy at the On-Track booth if he'd
                    seen you and he said
                    that he hadn't seen you in years! He didn't know I meant at the show!

                    Gino

                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 5, 2001
                      Gino-Can you customize an odor? Cant forget that plastic smell from
                      those plastic parts that was stored in that car. Mark
                    • mwilber@webtv.net
                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 5, 2001
                        Yea that was George Mead.He is a voluntary woker for us on the On-Track
                        as a passenger conductor.He gave me a free hat at the show.He didnt
                        mention anything about someone asking about me.Did you see the layout
                        where they had a small camera built in the engine ,and as the train went
                        around the layout you could watch it on the TV screen?It was in the area
                        where the Leatherstocking group had their display. Mark
                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 5, 2001
                          I didn't see the Leatherstocking Group! Were they in the room near the ALCO
                          group?
                          I meant to get in there, but never got to it! The large N-Scale layout they
                          had with the
                          working Little Falls lock and the drive-in movie was unbelievable!!! I'd
                          love to do N-Scale,
                          but I find it hard to decal HO, I could never do it any smaller!!!

                          Gino

                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 5, 2001
                            Did you smell it when it was burning? It was on fire at Patch Road, but the
                            smoke
                            was blowing all the way past the Arterial (Route 30a) and up to my house on
                            East
                            State street! I thought it was something hazardous for sure!

                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 5, 2001
                              Sorry that was George Reed not Mead.George Mead was General in the Civil
                              War. Mark
                            • mwilber@webtv.net
                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 5, 2001
                                Gino-Thats where it was. My wife saw the drive-in movie deal.I missed
                                that one. Mark
                              • mwilber@webtv.net
                                Message 15 of 29 , Nov 5, 2001
                                  Was the drive-in screen suppose to represent the old "Rancho" drive-in
                                  near Palentine Bridge or did Little Falls have one? Mark
                                • mwilber@webtv.net
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 5, 2001
                                    Just smelled it the next day at work. Mark
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 5, 2001
                                      Ah, El-Rancho Drive In! I love that place! Me and my station wagon were
                                      there every
                                      weekend 20 years ago! No, I think the Little Falls part of the display was
                                      all the way
                                      on the other side! I don't think the drive-in was anything in particular!
                                      The Little Falls
                                      Lock was pretty neat, but they had UP diesels running by it!

                                      Gino

                                    • fusco@baldcom.net
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Nov 5, 2001
                                        Dear Gino. Walt, Paul, Mark et.al
                                        Well, it looks like we all managed to miss each other. I was
                                        there from 12:30 to 6 o'clock closing Sat. Couldn't get there earlier
                                        because the piano tuner was here from 11 to Noon...sorry. I had on my
                                        FJG hat AND shirt and realized early on that it was gonna be hard to
                                        find people 'cause you're always looking DOWN at display tables.
                                        First time ever I've missed Walt at a show, but Charlie Brown said you
                                        were there. The fact that we were all missing each other had the guy
                                        at the Alco Builders Photos table in stitches----"You're all coming by
                                        here in ones and twos and none of you can find the other," he laughed.
                                        Best FJ &G day he's ever had.
                                        I found a slide of #20 on the LASB. And did you guys see the B&Ws
                                        of that NYC wreck in Amsterdam, NY? I was born in Amsterdam and never
                                        heard of that bad boy. Does anybody know the story?
                                        Paul, I've never been to the Egg and if its 12/1--12/2 I won't
                                        make it this year 'cause Adam is racing indoors at the Niagara Falls
                                        Convention Center. But on your say-so if its that much better than
                                        Syracuse, I'm going the first chance I get. ---Andy Fusco

                                        --- In FJGRailroad@y..., Gino And Kelly DiCarlo......
                                      • mwilber@webtv.net
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Nov 5, 2001
                                          I think the next time maybe if we all wore pink hats maybe we just could
                                          find each other. Mark
                                        • mwilber@webtv.net
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Nov 5, 2001
                                            Andy-You couldnt have missed me,I was the one wearing a railroad hat.
                                            Mark
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Nov 5, 2001
                                              WHAT?? Mickey D's french fries vs. chili vs. Bud vs. Coors or the common
                                              bean. That odor can be customized. Been written and joked about for years
                                              but you definitely gave it a new twist.

                                              PKL

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Nov 5, 2001
                                                Andy, you have to understand, I'm not a modeller ( I was going to say a
                                                "model person" but was afraid where that would go). Gino had a great time
                                                and I expect many others did too. I look for ETT, pics, books and hardware
                                                which were shy and largely not there. If I had my grandsons with me they
                                                would have od'd on the layouts; they were very good. I go to buy though,
                                                not look, so my perspective may seem jaded to those of us who create these
                                                masterpieces.

                                                The Egg show has had a good mix of everything in past years. Something for
                                                everyone.

                                                I've always worked with the real thing, stopped my modeling plans shortly
                                                after going to work full time for MeC. Still have the Fonda, Gloversville
                                                and Northville yards laid out on modules in my garage at St. Albans.
                                                Thought perhaps Randy could use them in the box car or put them up to the
                                                Fulton Cty museum on Kingsboro Ave., if they finally do a RR room. If they
                                                are usd to operate, they will have to be reconfigured for electricity so may
                                                be of no value except as a static display.

                                                PKL

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Nov 5, 2001
                                                  We could have some black helium balloons created with the FJ&G logo on them
                                                  in sunshine yellow. Tie them to our wrists.

                                                  PKL

                                                  >From: mwilber@...
                                                  >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                                  >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: I was there and looking!!
                                                  >Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 21:58:10 -0500 (EST)
                                                  >
                                                  >I think the next time maybe if we all wore pink hats maybe we just could
                                                  >find each other. Mark

                                                • Dick Ryall
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Nov 5, 2001
                                                    How about Mickey Mouse Ears, might help......dick

                                                    mwilber@... wrote:

                                                    > I think the next time maybe if we all wore pink hats maybe we just could
                                                    > find each other. Mark

                                                  • Dick Ryall
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Nov 5, 2001
                                                      You guys sound like the Keystone Cops, what ever they were, good thing
                                                      your not FBI. dick

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Nov 5, 2001
                                                        with the mickey mouse ears and pink what evers you guys would sure look
                                                        cute...dick

                                                        paul larner wrote:

                                                        > We could have some black helium balloons created with the FJ&G logo on them
                                                        > in sunshine yellow. Tie them to our wrists.
                                                        >
                                                        > PKL
                                                        >
                                                        > >From: mwilber@...
                                                        > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                                        > >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: I was there and looking!!
                                                        > >Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 21:58:10 -0500 (EST)
                                                        > >
                                                        > >I think the next time maybe if we all wore pink hats maybe we just could
                                                        > >find each other. Mark

                                                      • Dick Ryall
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Nov 5, 2001
                                                          I`m not a model person either,but I have a large collection of Pentrex
                                                          train tapes, also some guy from New Jersey with Conrail fron down state
                                                          to the West, with a couple shots of Fonda, and St. Johnsville. dick

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Nov 5, 2001
                                                            If you ate all of that crap you need more than a twist......dick

                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Nov 6, 2001
                                                              Andy,

                                                              You found a slide? I looked everywhere for slides and found none!!