LASB

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
      I'm either getting old or senile; I used to know a lot more about these
      things.

      I know for a fact that the FJ&G 20 worked the LASB when that line was first
      purchased by the State of Pennsylvania. Keep in mind (for those of you who
      don't know) that the LASB was, and still is, owned by the State. DO was
      just a designated operator.

      I also personally saw one of the GP18s on the LASB in the late 1980s.

      Either of the Marks - do you know when that Stourbridge Railroad runs its
      freight trains? I've been meaning to get down there for several years to
      photograph them.

      For some reason I think the 103 was in fact on the LASB for a time.

      A check at the Model Railroader article covering LASB (sometime in the Fall
      of 1988 or 1989ish) will offer more details. Also a look at "Susquehanna:
      Shortlines to Stackpacks" will help.

      I covered a story in West Winfield recently and didn't realize how much of
      the CNYK rail was still down. It looks like an exceptionally scenic line
      with lots of wide-open vistas. Too bad not that many people photographed
      it.

      -Aaron
    • mwilber@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
        Aaron-I use to live in W Winfield for 10 years
        while working out of Utica.Ran that line hundreds of times.Lots of
        stories on that line too. Mark
      • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2001
          Aaron,

          Where is there still rail on the CNYK? I know it isn't around Richfield
          Springs anymore! Is it still connected to the Susquehanna?

          Gino

        • mwilber@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2001
            Aaron-Winter was very rough on the CNY.Snowdrifts galore! In the town of
            Columbia,north of Richfield Spa.,was the worst.Ive seen trains twice get
            so stuck that it took trackmen 2 days to shovel the train out.At times
            our snowplow was ineffective because of too much snow.Plus the plow was
            so light that we use to derail it often.One time one of our crews hit a
            broken rail and forced the engine to flip over on its side.One employee
            was hurt.Same guy I work with everyday now.That incident happen in North
            Bridgewater. I still have the WKTV news broadcast on it. Mark