Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: FJ&G Spreader

  • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2001
      Yes Mark, there will be plenty more pictures to come! Speaking of which,
      what the heck was that maroon car hooked up to the President's Coach?

      Gino

      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2001
        Probably a power car. No HEP on the FJ&G.

        PKL

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 5, 2001
          Paul,

          What is a HEP?

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 5, 2001
            HEP refers to Head End Power. All cars hauled by Amtrak must either be set
            up to use it, or at least pass it through. What it refers to is the
            changeover in the 70's from axle generated with battery back-up electric in
            the cars to power supplied from a separate generator on the locomotive and
            provided to the coaches through high voltage cables running down each side
            of the consist. Significant in this changeover was the elimination of steam
            as the primary method of heating the cars, a carryover from the days of
            steam locomotives. This resulted in a tremendous savings in the cost of
            cars and maintenance, but required a complete new fleet. There are still a
            few steam heated cars in Canada and on the shortlines but there are very few
            locomotives equipped with working steam generators. The steam genny room
            became the toilet room of many first and second generation diesels. Now you
            know what was in the short hood of those Geep and Alco RS units used in
            passenger service.

            In Canada and probably out in the US west too, I don't know, the steam
            generator car became the choice as the old gennys in the diesels wore out or
            weren't there. This looks like a steam generator car, but probably carried
            an electric generator set and a number of tools and spare parts, which are
            no longer in general supply. VRS has a car for this purpose. The passenger
            (commute) operation out of Burlington VT uses a genny car to provide
            electricity for lights and heat too I suspect. I wouldn't expect anyone,
            except an FRN group, to bother with steam. It's a pain in the neck and
            dangerous.

            Did you ever notice in steam era photos of passenger trains the wisp of
            steam coming out the rear of the trains. This was deliberate. If you
            didn't let the steam escape out the rear of the line, it would condense and
            freeze up the cars. Steam was the best there was at the time and it was
            plentiful. It took an entire new passenger car fleet to eventually do away
            with steam heat. All the "Heritage" cars you see on Amtrak trains have been
            rebuilt to electric heat, a prospect out of the reach of the individual
            railroads in the fifties and sixties who could never make enough profit on
            passeners to justify being the first to make the change. AC generation had
            a hand in the changeover too I believe but I don't know enough about it's
            development. It is possible get a lot more AC power than DC from the same
            size generator which may have been a factor. This was a prime reason
            locomotives went to AC generators in the seventies but it took another
            twenty years to get AC successfully to the rails.

            The previous has been loose change - it's all much more involved. Get hold
            of one of the "Car and Locomotive Cyclopedias"from the sixties or seventies.
            They are the best source for information on the industry.

            PKL

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 5, 2001
              --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "paul larner" <pklarner@h...> wrote:
              > HEP refers to Head End Power.
              > [snip]
              > PKL

              Paul,

              Great summary.

              As for steam being dangerous, I recall workers on the NP would dread
              working on passenger steam lines during the winter. If a line would
              freeze up, and they would draw straws to determine who would go and
              beat on the hose coupling with a ball-peen hammer. Then there's the
              matter of condensation, especially if a breeze is blowing.

              Glenn
            • mwilber@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 5, 2001
                Thanks Paul;I didnt know what is was either.Mark