Re: FJ&G Spreader

  • mark_jacob2000@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2001
      Gino,
      Shots of LASB boxcars would be welcome, I have several but there is a
      lot of variety in the DO boxcar fleet so yours may show some
      variations that I don't have. Also, any closer-up shots of that
      maroon boxcar coupled to the business car? Keep 'em coming, there's
      some cool stuff in the equipment shots you've posted so far!

      Mark
    • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2001
        Yes Mark, there will be plenty more pictures to come! Speaking of which,
        what the heck was that maroon car hooked up to the President's Coach?

        Gino

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2001
          Probably a power car. No HEP on the FJ&G.

          PKL

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 5, 2001
            Paul,

            What is a HEP?

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 5, 2001
              HEP refers to Head End Power. All cars hauled by Amtrak must either be set
              up to use it, or at least pass it through. What it refers to is the
              changeover in the 70's from axle generated with battery back-up electric in
              the cars to power supplied from a separate generator on the locomotive and
              provided to the coaches through high voltage cables running down each side
              of the consist. Significant in this changeover was the elimination of steam
              as the primary method of heating the cars, a carryover from the days of
              steam locomotives. This resulted in a tremendous savings in the cost of
              cars and maintenance, but required a complete new fleet. There are still a
              few steam heated cars in Canada and on the shortlines but there are very few
              locomotives equipped with working steam generators. The steam genny room
              became the toilet room of many first and second generation diesels. Now you
              know what was in the short hood of those Geep and Alco RS units used in
              passenger service.

              In Canada and probably out in the US west too, I don't know, the steam
              generator car became the choice as the old gennys in the diesels wore out or
              weren't there. This looks like a steam generator car, but probably carried
              an electric generator set and a number of tools and spare parts, which are
              no longer in general supply. VRS has a car for this purpose. The passenger
              (commute) operation out of Burlington VT uses a genny car to provide
              electricity for lights and heat too I suspect. I wouldn't expect anyone,
              except an FRN group, to bother with steam. It's a pain in the neck and
              dangerous.

              Did you ever notice in steam era photos of passenger trains the wisp of
              steam coming out the rear of the trains. This was deliberate. If you
              didn't let the steam escape out the rear of the line, it would condense and
              freeze up the cars. Steam was the best there was at the time and it was
              plentiful. It took an entire new passenger car fleet to eventually do away
              with steam heat. All the "Heritage" cars you see on Amtrak trains have been
              rebuilt to electric heat, a prospect out of the reach of the individual
              railroads in the fifties and sixties who could never make enough profit on
              passeners to justify being the first to make the change. AC generation had
              a hand in the changeover too I believe but I don't know enough about it's
              development. It is possible get a lot more AC power than DC from the same
              size generator which may have been a factor. This was a prime reason
              locomotives went to AC generators in the seventies but it took another
              twenty years to get AC successfully to the rails.

              The previous has been loose change - it's all much more involved. Get hold
              of one of the "Car and Locomotive Cyclopedias"from the sixties or seventies.
              They are the best source for information on the industry.

              PKL

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 5, 2001
                --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "paul larner" <pklarner@h...> wrote:
                > HEP refers to Head End Power.
                > [snip]
                > PKL

                Paul,

                Great summary.

                As for steam being dangerous, I recall workers on the NP would dread
                working on passenger steam lines during the winter. If a line would
                freeze up, and they would draw straws to determine who would go and
                beat on the hose coupling with a ball-peen hammer. Then there's the
                matter of condensation, especially if a breeze is blowing.

                Glenn
              • mwilber@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 5, 2001
                  Thanks Paul;I didnt know what is was either.Mark