Re: FJ&G Spreader

  • fusco@baldcom.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2001
      Dear Mark:
      Like Gino says, its got a major article and numerous photos
      devoted to the FJ&G. Nice documentation of the last days of our
      favorite railroad. If you can find a copy, go for it. ---Andy

    • mark_jacob2000@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2001
        Gino,
        I model the SOuthern Tier Line from Port Jervis to Binghamton in the
        early '80s. This includes the LASB at LAckawaxen and the NYS&W
        Binghamton yard. Those are the only DO properties I model. However,
        being as DO equipment got moved around, and the interchange freight
        cars roamed freely, I can use most any DO equipment. On some of it I
        will be stretching things a bit (I built a model of the FJ&G flanger,
        which as far as I know was never used on LASB or NYS&W- but, it would
        be palusible for it to have been moved to one of these lines in 1984
        after FJ&G shut down). So basically I model any DO locomotives that
        were used on LASB or NYS&W Northern Div., any company service cars
        likewise, most of the pasenger/business cars, and of course, any
        NYS&W, CACV, LASB, or FJ&G freight cars.
      • mark_jacob2000@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2001
          Gino,
          Shots of LASB boxcars would be welcome, I have several but there is a
          lot of variety in the DO boxcar fleet so yours may show some
          variations that I don't have. Also, any closer-up shots of that
          maroon boxcar coupled to the business car? Keep 'em coming, there's
          some cool stuff in the equipment shots you've posted so far!

          Mark
        • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 1, 2001
            Yes Mark, there will be plenty more pictures to come! Speaking of which,
            what the heck was that maroon car hooked up to the President's Coach?

            Gino

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 1, 2001
              Probably a power car. No HEP on the FJ&G.

              PKL

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 5, 2001
                Paul,

                What is a HEP?

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 5, 2001
                  HEP refers to Head End Power. All cars hauled by Amtrak must either be set
                  up to use it, or at least pass it through. What it refers to is the
                  changeover in the 70's from axle generated with battery back-up electric in
                  the cars to power supplied from a separate generator on the locomotive and
                  provided to the coaches through high voltage cables running down each side
                  of the consist. Significant in this changeover was the elimination of steam
                  as the primary method of heating the cars, a carryover from the days of
                  steam locomotives. This resulted in a tremendous savings in the cost of
                  cars and maintenance, but required a complete new fleet. There are still a
                  few steam heated cars in Canada and on the shortlines but there are very few
                  locomotives equipped with working steam generators. The steam genny room
                  became the toilet room of many first and second generation diesels. Now you
                  know what was in the short hood of those Geep and Alco RS units used in
                  passenger service.

                  In Canada and probably out in the US west too, I don't know, the steam
                  generator car became the choice as the old gennys in the diesels wore out or
                  weren't there. This looks like a steam generator car, but probably carried
                  an electric generator set and a number of tools and spare parts, which are
                  no longer in general supply. VRS has a car for this purpose. The passenger
                  (commute) operation out of Burlington VT uses a genny car to provide
                  electricity for lights and heat too I suspect. I wouldn't expect anyone,
                  except an FRN group, to bother with steam. It's a pain in the neck and
                  dangerous.

                  Did you ever notice in steam era photos of passenger trains the wisp of
                  steam coming out the rear of the trains. This was deliberate. If you
                  didn't let the steam escape out the rear of the line, it would condense and
                  freeze up the cars. Steam was the best there was at the time and it was
                  plentiful. It took an entire new passenger car fleet to eventually do away
                  with steam heat. All the "Heritage" cars you see on Amtrak trains have been
                  rebuilt to electric heat, a prospect out of the reach of the individual
                  railroads in the fifties and sixties who could never make enough profit on
                  passeners to justify being the first to make the change. AC generation had
                  a hand in the changeover too I believe but I don't know enough about it's
                  development. It is possible get a lot more AC power than DC from the same
                  size generator which may have been a factor. This was a prime reason
                  locomotives went to AC generators in the seventies but it took another
                  twenty years to get AC successfully to the rails.

                  The previous has been loose change - it's all much more involved. Get hold
                  of one of the "Car and Locomotive Cyclopedias"from the sixties or seventies.
                  They are the best source for information on the industry.

                  PKL

                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 5, 2001
                    --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "paul larner" <pklarner@h...> wrote:
                    > HEP refers to Head End Power.
                    > [snip]
                    > PKL

                    Paul,

                    Great summary.

                    As for steam being dangerous, I recall workers on the NP would dread
                    working on passenger steam lines during the winter. If a line would
                    freeze up, and they would draw straws to determine who would go and
                    beat on the hose coupling with a ball-peen hammer. Then there's the
                    matter of condensation, especially if a breeze is blowing.

                    Glenn
                  • mwilber@webtv.net
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 5, 2001
                      Thanks Paul;I didnt know what is was either.Mark