Re: New member with a few questions

  • fusco@baldcom.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 25, 2001
      Dear Mark:
      Welcome.
      Pictures of 102 are far and few between. There's a 1982 shot of
      it working the LASB in the Susquehanna book "Shortlines to Stackpacks"
      in the old DO maroon with gold cigar band paint scheme. I don't ever
      recall seeing a picture of it in SusieQ yellow jacket livery. The
      book has it stored as of l987. The 4th edition (l99l) of Ed Lewis'
      American Shortline Guide does not list it on the Susquehanna roster,
      so it was probably scrapped between l987 and l991.
      The August 1983 edition of Rails Northeast magazine has two
      pictures of the FJ&G's LOAM X-01 spreader. It was a flat car with a
      Jordan spreader mounted mid-car and a wooden cab on the end to house
      the operator.
      Caboose 3 never worked the FJG in silver. It was painted silver
      just before its move to Honesdale. Aluminum paint is a cheap,
      effective wood primer (I've used it on my garage), so that's my guess
      as to how it ended up silver in G-ville before the trip to Pa.
      ---Andy Fusco
    • mark_jacob2000@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 31, 2001
        Andy,
        Any other FJ&G info or photos in this issue, or is it just the two
        shots of the spreader? I may try to get a hold of a copy.

        Mark Jacob

        .

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 31, 2001
          The issue of Rails Northeast with the FJG article has other shots in it as
          well!
          Some good shots too if I may add! If you can find it somewhere, grab it!

          Gino

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 31, 2001
            Hey, I forgot to mention this too! I came across some great pictures of
            Delaware Otsego
            equipment on the FJG. I'm talking all kinds of track equipment that I never
            thought was
            brought up to Gloversville. If anyone is interested in seeing these shots,
            please let me
            know! I also have some shots of Walter Rich's "President's Coach" parked
            near the
            Gloversville freight house! You'd never think that made it's way to
            Gloversville!

            Gino

          • mark_jacob2000@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 31, 2001
              Gino,
              Any shots of DO equipment on the FJ&G would be of interest. Although
              I do not model FJ&G I model other DO rr's in the early 80s so most
              anything DO is of interest. Box cars, passenger equipment, MOW,
              locomotives, etc. I know I would love to see most of this stuff, so
              if you feel like doing some scanning sometime...:). Now if only I
              could find someone with more info and photos of the LASB!

              Mark
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 31, 2001
                Mark,

                I think I have some LASB marked boxcars, but those are probably abundant!
                I'll look through what else I have! I also have several shots of Number 103
                stenciled LASB! That's the way she arrived on the FJG! Is the LASB the
                only
                DO railroad you model? You don't model the CNYK or CACV, do you?

                Gino

                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 31, 2001
                  Mark,

                  I'm sure you know of the Model Railroader issue from 1988/1989ish that
                  covers LASB. The article was done by Harold Russell; same guy who did the
                  FJ&G article.

                  From: mark_jacob2000@... <mark_jacob2000@...>
                  To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                  Date: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 4:15 PM
                  Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: FJ&G Spreader

                • fusco@baldcom.net
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 1, 2001
                    Dear Mark:
                    Like Gino says, its got a major article and numerous photos
                    devoted to the FJ&G. Nice documentation of the last days of our
                    favorite railroad. If you can find a copy, go for it. ---Andy

                  • mark_jacob2000@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 1, 2001
                      Gino,
                      I model the SOuthern Tier Line from Port Jervis to Binghamton in the
                      early '80s. This includes the LASB at LAckawaxen and the NYS&W
                      Binghamton yard. Those are the only DO properties I model. However,
                      being as DO equipment got moved around, and the interchange freight
                      cars roamed freely, I can use most any DO equipment. On some of it I
                      will be stretching things a bit (I built a model of the FJ&G flanger,
                      which as far as I know was never used on LASB or NYS&W- but, it would
                      be palusible for it to have been moved to one of these lines in 1984
                      after FJ&G shut down). So basically I model any DO locomotives that
                      were used on LASB or NYS&W Northern Div., any company service cars
                      likewise, most of the pasenger/business cars, and of course, any
                      NYS&W, CACV, LASB, or FJ&G freight cars.
                    • mark_jacob2000@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 1, 2001
                        Gino,
                        Shots of LASB boxcars would be welcome, I have several but there is a
                        lot of variety in the DO boxcar fleet so yours may show some
                        variations that I don't have. Also, any closer-up shots of that
                        maroon boxcar coupled to the business car? Keep 'em coming, there's
                        some cool stuff in the equipment shots you've posted so far!

                        Mark
                      • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 1, 2001
                          Yes Mark, there will be plenty more pictures to come! Speaking of which,
                          what the heck was that maroon car hooked up to the President's Coach?

                          Gino

                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 1, 2001
                            Probably a power car. No HEP on the FJ&G.

                            PKL

                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 5, 2001
                              Paul,

                              What is a HEP?

                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 5, 2001
                                HEP refers to Head End Power. All cars hauled by Amtrak must either be set
                                up to use it, or at least pass it through. What it refers to is the
                                changeover in the 70's from axle generated with battery back-up electric in
                                the cars to power supplied from a separate generator on the locomotive and
                                provided to the coaches through high voltage cables running down each side
                                of the consist. Significant in this changeover was the elimination of steam
                                as the primary method of heating the cars, a carryover from the days of
                                steam locomotives. This resulted in a tremendous savings in the cost of
                                cars and maintenance, but required a complete new fleet. There are still a
                                few steam heated cars in Canada and on the shortlines but there are very few
                                locomotives equipped with working steam generators. The steam genny room
                                became the toilet room of many first and second generation diesels. Now you
                                know what was in the short hood of those Geep and Alco RS units used in
                                passenger service.

                                In Canada and probably out in the US west too, I don't know, the steam
                                generator car became the choice as the old gennys in the diesels wore out or
                                weren't there. This looks like a steam generator car, but probably carried
                                an electric generator set and a number of tools and spare parts, which are
                                no longer in general supply. VRS has a car for this purpose. The passenger
                                (commute) operation out of Burlington VT uses a genny car to provide
                                electricity for lights and heat too I suspect. I wouldn't expect anyone,
                                except an FRN group, to bother with steam. It's a pain in the neck and
                                dangerous.

                                Did you ever notice in steam era photos of passenger trains the wisp of
                                steam coming out the rear of the trains. This was deliberate. If you
                                didn't let the steam escape out the rear of the line, it would condense and
                                freeze up the cars. Steam was the best there was at the time and it was
                                plentiful. It took an entire new passenger car fleet to eventually do away
                                with steam heat. All the "Heritage" cars you see on Amtrak trains have been
                                rebuilt to electric heat, a prospect out of the reach of the individual
                                railroads in the fifties and sixties who could never make enough profit on
                                passeners to justify being the first to make the change. AC generation had
                                a hand in the changeover too I believe but I don't know enough about it's
                                development. It is possible get a lot more AC power than DC from the same
                                size generator which may have been a factor. This was a prime reason
                                locomotives went to AC generators in the seventies but it took another
                                twenty years to get AC successfully to the rails.

                                The previous has been loose change - it's all much more involved. Get hold
                                of one of the "Car and Locomotive Cyclopedias"from the sixties or seventies.
                                They are the best source for information on the industry.

                                PKL

                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 5, 2001
                                  --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "paul larner" <pklarner@h...> wrote:
                                  > HEP refers to Head End Power.
                                  > [snip]
                                  > PKL

                                  Paul,

                                  Great summary.

                                  As for steam being dangerous, I recall workers on the NP would dread
                                  working on passenger steam lines during the winter. If a line would
                                  freeze up, and they would draw straws to determine who would go and
                                  beat on the hose coupling with a ball-peen hammer. Then there's the
                                  matter of condensation, especially if a breeze is blowing.

                                  Glenn
                                • mwilber@webtv.net
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 5, 2001
                                    Thanks Paul;I didnt know what is was either.Mark