Re: Cabooses

  • 103424.2304@compuserve.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 24, 2001
      --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "paul larner" <pklarner@h...> wrote:
      > That's the best I could get, Glenn. The man who may have it is one
      > of these junkies who buys and sells all kinds of things, large and
      > small. He was described as having a knack for making money. The
      > name Clark was offered, but he is reportedly not connected to the
      > Clarks that run the trading post or the Laconia operation. That
      > doesn't mean it isn't so however. That's how they made their money.
      >
      > Supposedly along route 1. I haven't been over there in over twenty
      > years, but seems to me I rememer a junk operation on Rte 4 that
      > could fit the bill for a starter.
      >
      > Paul

      Paul,

      Thanx for the update - every piece of info helps.

      What I know about US 1 along the NH seacoast you could put in your
      ear, so it will be an interesting search.

      US Route 4, on the other hand, is the main road between my house and
      Portsmouth. Harding Metals in Northwood (where US 4 is known as
      "Antique Alley") is one place I will check. A co-worker will do an
      aerial recon the next time he's out.

      Glenn
    • 103424.2304@compuserve.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 22, 2001
        --- In FJGRailroad@y..., 103424.2304@c... wrote:
        > [snip}
        >
        > US Route 4, on the other hand, is the main road between my house
        > and Portsmouth. Harding Metals in Northwood (where US 4 is known
        > as "Antique Alley") is one place I will check. A co-worker will do
        > an aerial recon the next time he's out.
        >
        > Glenn

        Well, the friend did the aerial recon over US 4 recently but to no
        avail. He's a railfan, too, and I had given him a pic of the
        caboose, so he knew what to look for.

        Glenn
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 22, 2001
          Oh well. Hopefully I'll get a better idea "Where" it is in a while.

          PKL

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 22, 2001
            --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "paul larner" <pklarner@h...> wrote:
            > Oh well. Hopefully I'll get a better idea "Where" it is in a while.
            >
            > PKL

            Paul,

            Let me know, and I'll go looking.

            Glenn
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 6, 2011
              As we have discussed a few times over again, No. 3 was at Marshall Machinery in Honesdale, Pa., in the late 90s and very early 2000s.  It was sold.  I do not know where it went.  Dave Reffue and I went down and visited the owner of the equipment dealership, checked the caboose inside and out, and I took a few paint chips confirming that FJ&G orange was still underneath the red that had been applied in later years.  (The DO Blue was also there, as was the silver color it was painted when it left Gloversville.)

              I suppose a first step would be to contact Marshall Machinery to see where it went.

              http://marshall-machinery.com/

              I am busy with school; anyone else who wants to make the contact is welcome.  Someone retired with time to drive around New England, perhaps?