Cabooses

  • pklarner@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 23, 2001
      No. 3 is rotting away in Honesdale Pa. No. 2 is at Passumpsic VT
      and will be restored. Does anyone know for certain where No. 1 is?

      Last word I have is that it is in coastal NH perhaps along Rte 1 at
      the place of a wheeler dealer in used (scrap) rr equipment. I have
      no names or specific location.

      PKL
    • Randy & Lorraine
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 23, 2001
        Thought #3 sold on ebay??

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 23, 2001
          We're not so sure; feeling was it was a ringer that bid it up. When the id
          was tracked there was no record. Wasn't it "Farmall Frank" or something like
          that?

          When the No. 2 is done it will be done right. Same fellow tried to get the
          #1 but couldn't locate it.

          PKL

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 24, 2001
            Number 2 IS still around? I thought it disappeared after Shelburne? Where
            is this Passumpsic?

            Gino

          • 103424.2304@compuserve.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 24, 2001
              --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
              > Number 2 IS still around? I thought it disappeared after
              Shelburne?
              Where
              > is this Passumpsic?
              >
              > Gino

              Gino,

              Passumpsic is located south of St. Johnsbury, VT.

              If someone can give me a more definite location/dealer on where
              caboose #1 is in New Hampshire, I'll go look her up.

              Glenn
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 24, 2001
                That's a little town, wide spot on the highway, between Wells River and St.
                Johnsbury. We should take a trip over there one day soon. There is quite a
                collection of stuff there.

                PKL

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 24, 2001
                  That's the best I could get, Glenn. The man who may have it is one of these
                  junkies who buys and sells all kinds of things, large and small. He was
                  described as having a knack for making money. The name Clark was offered,
                  but he is reportedly not connected to the Clarks that run the trading post
                  or the Laconia operation. That doesn't mean it isn't so however. That's how
                  they made their money.

                  Supposedly along route 1. I haven't been over there in over twenty years,
                  but seems to me I rememer a junk operation on Rte 4 that could fit the bill
                  for a starter.

                  Paul

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 24, 2001
                    --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "paul larner" <pklarner@h...> wrote:
                    > That's the best I could get, Glenn. The man who may have it is one
                    > of these junkies who buys and sells all kinds of things, large and
                    > small. He was described as having a knack for making money. The
                    > name Clark was offered, but he is reportedly not connected to the
                    > Clarks that run the trading post or the Laconia operation. That
                    > doesn't mean it isn't so however. That's how they made their money.
                    >
                    > Supposedly along route 1. I haven't been over there in over twenty
                    > years, but seems to me I rememer a junk operation on Rte 4 that
                    > could fit the bill for a starter.
                    >
                    > Paul

                    Paul,

                    Thanx for the update - every piece of info helps.

                    What I know about US 1 along the NH seacoast you could put in your
                    ear, so it will be an interesting search.

                    US Route 4, on the other hand, is the main road between my house and
                    Portsmouth. Harding Metals in Northwood (where US 4 is known as
                    "Antique Alley") is one place I will check. A co-worker will do an
                    aerial recon the next time he's out.

                    Glenn
                  • 103424.2304@compuserve.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 22, 2001
                      --- In FJGRailroad@y..., 103424.2304@c... wrote:
                      > [snip}
                      >
                      > US Route 4, on the other hand, is the main road between my house
                      > and Portsmouth. Harding Metals in Northwood (where US 4 is known
                      > as "Antique Alley") is one place I will check. A co-worker will do
                      > an aerial recon the next time he's out.
                      >
                      > Glenn

                      Well, the friend did the aerial recon over US 4 recently but to no
                      avail. He's a railfan, too, and I had given him a pic of the
                      caboose, so he knew what to look for.

                      Glenn
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 22, 2001
                        Oh well. Hopefully I'll get a better idea "Where" it is in a while.

                        PKL

                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 22, 2001
                          --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "paul larner" <pklarner@h...> wrote:
                          > Oh well. Hopefully I'll get a better idea "Where" it is in a while.
                          >
                          > PKL

                          Paul,

                          Let me know, and I'll go looking.

                          Glenn
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 6, 2011
                            As we have discussed a few times over again, No. 3 was at Marshall Machinery in Honesdale, Pa., in the late 90s and very early 2000s.  It was sold.  I do not know where it went.  Dave Reffue and I went down and visited the owner of the equipment dealership, checked the caboose inside and out, and I took a few paint chips confirming that FJ&G orange was still underneath the red that had been applied in later years.  (The DO Blue was also there, as was the silver color it was painted when it left Gloversville.)

                            I suppose a first step would be to contact Marshall Machinery to see where it went.

                            http://marshall-machinery.com/

                            I am busy with school; anyone else who wants to make the contact is welcome.  Someone retired with time to drive around New England, perhaps?