Gloversville Turntable

  • Malcolm Horton
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 20, 2001
      I recall visiting the Gloversville turntable with my father on a Sunday afternoon in 1936 0r 1937. A Mr. English was tending the fires in the locomotives and, as with many such jobs, he was lonely. Dad knew him. He ran the turntable around to the proper track for a locomotive which had some steam pressure in it and brought out the locomotive for us to admire. I got to ride it back into the round house (I was 13 or 14 years old at the time). The turntable was operated by an electric motor which got its power from the nearby 600 volt trolley line. There was a drum controller in the cab of the turntable which allowed the turntable to be operated in either direction. After the trolleys were abandoned in 1938, there was no direct current available so the turntable had to be repowered. I vaguely remember hearing that it got its power either from steam or compressed air from the locomotive to be turned, however I never checked this out personally.

      Malcolm Horton

    • Randy & Lorraine
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 21, 2001
        Thanks Malcolm  I have heard the turntable was electrified by the guy's in the shops now I have it from two good sources!
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 22, 2001
          There are several photos that show the electrical wiring coming to the
          table. The knowledge of when it was discontinued is new and I thank you for
          that Malcomb. When I was there in the early sixties my knowledge was that
          the table had a compressed air motor. I do not know at this time when it
          was installed.

          PKL

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 22, 2004
            Hi All,

            Anybody know the length of the Gloversville Turntable?

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 22, 2004
              Believe it to have been 65 feet.

              PKL

              >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
              >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Gloversville Turntable
              >Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:53:17 -0400
              >
              >Hi All,
              >
              >Anybody know the length of the Gloversville Turntable?
              >
              >Paul :-)

            • Saul Kalbfeld
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 23, 2010
                Why was the Gloversville turntable abandoned when there was still usefulness? It's not like it was a high maintenance asset and it could have supported the weight of the S-2 switchers.
                Saul
              • Malcolm Horton
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 23, 2010
                  It was powered with 600 volts direct current which was not available when the trolley system was abandoned.

                  Mal Horton

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 23, 2010
                    Hello Saul,  I can think of two reasons and one of them I believe is the correct one:  there was a problem with the air motor or there was a problem with the bearing.  It was moved as late as 1961 when old coach 16 was hauled out of the south roundhouse (IIRC they had to bull it).   At some point, later fifties IIRC, the lead track was realigned to meet the middle stall of the north engine house across the table where I believe the 202 was kept.

                    Following the destruction of the snow plow the need to use the three turntables no longer existed.

                    PKL

                    To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                    From: fjgbus@...
                    Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 09:25:21 -0500

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 23, 2010
                      The thing was in shambles in the late 1980s; the pit filled with water; the ties on the center beam were rotted to the point it was possible to fall through them... if there were still any ties on it (I can't remember).  I don't have a photo of it, it was so buried in the weeds.

                      -Aaron

                    • amx990
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 26, 2010
                        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Keller <akeller_1979@...> wrote:

                        > The thing was in shambles in the late 1980s; the pit filled with water; the ties on the center beam were rotted to the point it was possible to fall through them... if there were still any ties on it (I can't remember). I don't have a photo of it, it was so buried in the weeds.
                        >
                        > -Aaron

                        Does anyone know what color(s) the 2 engine houses were painted? Was thinking of modeling that scene in HO using the 1928 ICC photos.

                        Bob
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 26, 2010
                          The photos I have show a drab brownish color in later years, sort of like the color of ATSF cattle cars.

                          Was the building originally red?

                          -Aaron

                        • Gordon Davis
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 27, 2010
                            They were a barn red however in a much-weathered state in the 1950s.
                            Gordon

                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 27, 2010
                              Yes.

                              PKL