Re: Connection to FJ&G?

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 1999
      p.charlie@...

      FJ&G, other that as a model railroader. Back in the �80's I was looking
      for a shortline to model, and while looking through old magazines, came
      across an article in a �77 Model Railroader. It was a series of
      articles written by Harold Russell on the FJ&G. Thirty customers in
      twenty miles, the bulk of the tonnage going up a stiff grade, light
      power, and a connection to a busy mainline, all added up to a pretty
      interesting little railroad.

      A couple of months later, a modeler friend of mine got a set of 1960
      Trains magazines, and there was an excellent article an on the FJ&G,
      including a bit of passenger service, and some more on the history of
      the railroad. I was surprised to read about the little shortline that
      had done everything that the big guys were doing, freight, passenger,
      electric, buses, and highway freight. Since then, I've been a fan.

      Unfortunately, by the time I figured all this out, the railroad was
      meeting it's untimely death. I never got a chance to see it in the
      flesh, and have only managed to collect a few articles, and an employees
      time table, 1954, which I plan on e-mailing the group as soon as I find
      out how to do that.

      So, for the most part, I am here to learn. If I can contribute, I will.

      Paul Charland