Trolleys to Schenectady

  • Malcolm Horton
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 27, 2001
      Walt,

      Per your request, I have been checking up on Norman Wurz  who wrote the "Memories of the FJ&G" article which I put on a newsletter recently.

      I found Norman's son Bruce (Phone (518) 399-9313) who was very cooperative. Norman died several years ago. Bruce will look thru Normans things ASAP and will call me back describing what he finds. I suggested that Norman may have kept a scrapbook with the various newpaper articles to which he had contributed. I offered to scan them a make them available to all of our members. Bruce did not recall any collection of pictures on the FJ&G.

      Bruce mentioned the late Len Killian, who lived near Washout Road and who had an extensive  slide collection with a lot of pictures of the FJ&G trolleys. He phoned Len's widow and found that his collections had bee sold "to a trolley museum in Connecticut". Perhaps we can find which trolley museum and can then learn more about them. She did'nt recall the name of the museum.

      Bruce said that he and his dad saw Killian's pictures shortly before his dad died and that his dad could name all the sites and the people in them.

      Do you want to persue this further?

      I will let you know of anything that Bruce finds after going thru his dad's papers.

      Malcolm Horton

    • psefton@crosslink.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1 12:33 PM
        The big trolley museum in Connecticut is the Shore Line Trolley Museum in East Haven, which has over 100 trolley cars and an archive which it is digitally imaging. It has a site at www.bera.org

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1 2:15 PM
          What is the Trolley museum in Maine?  Isn't that some kind of "Shore" Trolley Museum?
          I hear that one is pretty good!

          Gino.dicarlo@...
          Digital Assembly
          Quad Imaging Saratoga
          (518) 581-4276

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 1 4:25 PM
            --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
            > What is the Trolley museum in Maine? Isn't that some kind
            > of "Shore" Trolley Museum?
            > I hear that one is pretty good!

            Gino,

            That's the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunk(port), ME. Fabulous
            place, with the greatest collection of traction books I've ever seen.

            In addition to the Branford museum, there is also the museum at
            Warehouse Point, CT, which is smaller but has some unique rolling
            stock.

            Glenn
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 1 4:58 PM