Re: Gloversville Depot

  • 103424.2304@compuserve.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2001
      --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "paul larner" <pklarner@h...> wrote:
      > Joel, Do you have a copy of Bob Nimke's book on the Connecticut
      > River Railroads (actually there were maybe ten of them)? One is on
      > the Peterborough branch - lots of photos (Ithink diagrams also)and
      > Bob was interested in the industries served by the railroads about
      > which he published. He usually gave of synopsis of the traffic
      > patterns and service as well. I'm sorry I can't give you a better
      > description of the volume and it's material; most of my books and I
      > are widely separated. Don't believe he went so far away from the
      > river as Gardner though.
      >
      > PKL

      Joel,

      I second Paul's recommendation. Personally, I have little on the B&M
      outside of some B&MRRHS magazines and books, two early 60s Official
      Guides, and Bob Nimke's book on the Claremont branch.

      Another source would be the Yahoo groups on the B&M. There are
      several around, including at least devoted to modelling.

      Glenn
    • support@wordsystems.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2001
        Walt:

        Thanks for the info on the Model Railroader article, and especially
        the dimensions of the Gloversville station. I was getting very close
        to "counting bricks" in the photographs.

        When we measured the Coal House, it was about 360' long. I estimated
        that the HO scale model would be about 49" long. Avery large model ,
        perhaps too large without modification, but worthwhile attempting.

        Dan Owens

        --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@c...> wrote:
        > --- In FJGRailroad@y..., support@w... wrote:
        > ... Last summer my wife and I crawled around the Coal House,
        > sketching, photographing, measuring beams, and trying to capture
        the
        > construction details of the building and of the 2 trestles
        > inside. ...
        >
        > Dan,
        >
        > The November 1979 Model Railroader has an excellent drawing of the
        > FCC Co. coal house including photos. If I remember correctly, it
        was
        > 300' long not counting the upgrade approach distance. It would make
        > an impressive model in any scale.
        >
        > The Gloversville station is about 150' long including the covered
        > platform area to the north and about 35' wide.
        >
        > I hope to model both to scale in S scale (1/64, 3/16" = 1'). The
        coal
        > house would be about 5' long and the station about 2 1/2' long.
        Some
        > day maybe.
        >
        > Walt
      • Joel Norman
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 2, 2001
          PKL..........Nimke books never coved the the Peterboro branch as I have most
          of them..
          Joel
          > Joel, Do you have a copy of Bob Nimke's book on the Connecticut River
          > Railroads (actually there were maybe ten of them)? One is on the
          > Peterborough branch - lots of photos (Ithink diagrams also)and Bob was
          > interested in the industries served by the railroads about which he
          > published. He usually gave of synopsis of the traffic patterns and
          service
          > as well. I'm sorry I can't give you a better description of the volume
          and
          > it's material; most of my books and I are widely separated. Don't believe
          > he went so far away from the river as Gardner though.
          >
          > PKL
          >

          > >From: "Joel Norman" <olcdiv@...>
          > >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
          > >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Gloversville Depot
          > >Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 19:48:22 -0500
          > >
          > >GLENN...Your the answer to a virgins prayer!!! Im a BM modeler who also
          > >likes the FJG(having worked in the area for the E-L and CR)but Im a 99%
          BM

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 2, 2001
            Hmmm. I thought sure there were photos in one of them of Peterborough. I am
            not near them so I can't verify. Also it is possible he covered P from the
            perspective of the Ashuelot through Keene and Elmwood Jct., and then again
            it may be in another book. I do recall when I saw the photos that it was a
            bit far afield from the Conn River and regretting not going over there
            during the years I was in Portland to photograph the end of service in that
            area.

            Sorry I can't be more help today.

            PKL