Membership

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6 5:47 AM
      Wow guys!

      Our membership numbers have been growing and growing lately! I think we've
      picked up
      5 new members this week!!! Hey you new guys out there, lets hear from you!
      We'd love
      to hear why you joined this group and what's your interests in railroads and
      the FJG!!!
      Don't be shy! We're all just regular guys here and there's no reason to not
      introduce
      yourselves! My name is Gino DiCarlo and I have been a fan of the FJG since
      1979. I enjoy
      collecting FJG memorabilia and have had a web-page for the FJG since 1996!
      I am a
      graphic artist from Saratoga Springs, New York and have a wife and two
      beautiful sons!
      I am originally from Schenectady and moved to Gloversville when I was 16
      years old.
      I have been a railfan since I was knee-high and grew up watching the D&H
      going through
      my back yard in Schenectady, New York! I love New York Railroads, but am a
      railfan in
      general! Of course, my main love is the FJG and it is my intention to keep
      the memory
      of the FJG alive and well! As far as I'm concerned, the FJG has been reborn
      in Walt's Club,
      my web-page and this Email group!!!

      There, now that wasn't too hard, was it? I'm sure I sounded like a big geek
      there, but I just
      want to show all the members out there who haven't introduced themselves how
      easy it
      is to talk to this group!!! Let's hear from you!

      Thanks,

      Gino DiCarlo
      FJG Web Master
      FJG Email Group Moderator
    • ka2hsu@juno.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6 12:40 PM
        Hi everyone

        I'm a newcomer to the Group but an old time FJ&G fan. I was born and
        raised in Broadalbin, high school graduate in 1937, college degrees in
        1941, 1947, and 1950, and 4 1/2 years of service with Uncle Sam. My
        parents left Broadalbin in 1959 after the family closed the Broadalbin
        Knitting Company a few years before. After a career in the university,
        government, Army reserve (Brig. Gen.) and association management worlds I
        retired in 1987. Barbara (Gloversville girl nee Hine) and I have five
        children scattered around the globe and 8 grandchildren. We live in
        Little Silver, New Jersey, but often manage to visit back in the home
        area on genealogy trips. Our ancestors came to the Albany, Schenectady,
        Mohawk Valley, Sacandaga, and Saratoga regions starting in the 1600s.

        The FJ&G was a favorite with me since I was 5 in 1925. I just discovered
        this group and all the wonderful things that have been going on to revive
        the FJ&G and am pleased to become part of the effort. I used to go down
        to meet the morning train at the Broadalbin Depot, watch the steam engine
        shuffle the cars into and out of the Knitting Company yards and the
        warehouse next to the station, help turn the engine around on the
        turntable, and then help the post office man push the two-wheeled cart
        with the bags of mail up the street to the post office.

        Then there was the "gas car" on which we rode back and forth to
        Gloversville and up to Sacandaga Park for the Baptist Church annual
        picnic. In 1944 I was on a sleeper passing through Chicago when I spotted
        out of my window flatcars with FJ&G trolleys on them headed west. Was
        this when the "bullets" were shipped to Salt Lake City?

        I have had an interest in trains ever since my earliest days, have
        travelled on many all over the world over the years, and have visited
        many train museums. It is great to be able to focus back on my first
        railroad which holds so many memories.

        Rogers B. Finch
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6 12:48 PM
          Hi Rogers!

          Once again, welcome to the group! So glad you introduced yourself! I have
          sent you
          a message from home, this is my work address! So glad you found us and
          we're glad
          to have you! As for the Bullet Cars, they were shipped out by flat car in
          early 1939!
          Once again welcome and don't be shy about sharing some Broadalbin stories
          with us!

          Gino DiCarlo
          Group Moderator

          > ----------
          > From: ka2hsu@...
          > Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Membership
          >
          > Hi everyone
          >
          > I'm a newcomer to the Group but an old time FJ&G fan. I was born and
          > raised in Broadalbin, high school graduate in 1937, college degrees in
          > 1941, 1947, and 1950, and 4 1/2 years of service with Uncle Sam.

          Rogers B. Finch
        • Walt Danylak
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 7 9:21 AM
            --- In FJGRailroad@y..., ka2hsu@j... wrote:
            Hi everyone

            ... In 1944 I was on a sleeper passing through Chicago when I spotted
            out of my window flatcars with FJ&G trolleys on them headed west. Was
            this when the "bullets" were shipped to Salt Lake City?

            Rogers,

            Glad to have aboard!

            The bullets were shipped in 1939, at least from Gloversville. I think
            they were first returned to Brill for an overhaul, but I'm not sure
            about that. Regardless, it shouldn't have taken 5 years to overhaul
            them.

            Depending on how flat cars you saw, it might have been the #176 &
            #177 going to Portland. I'm not sure just what date these cars were
            shipped, but I think it was some time in the 1940's.

            Please feel free to share any of your boyhood stories about the FJ&G
            with the group. If you have any questions concerning the FJ&G or
            Fulton County in general, don't be afraid to ask. I can't guarantee
            you we'll always have an answer, but we'll try our best.

            Once again, glad to have you with us.

            Walt
          • ka2hsu@juno.com