caboose

  • Randy & Lorraine
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 10, 2001
      Hey guy's I just talked with Mr. William Krug he is the current owner of
      the car in question he say's he would love to see this go to a group like
      ours that would care for it in the manner we have planned ?? he also say's
      he would certainly help with taking payments and also keeping it at his
      location for a few months while the Money is raised for it's relocation?? I
      told him if it was bought ()which is unlikely) we may not be able to have it
      moved until late fall and he did not have a problem with this at all ??
      Just to let you guy's know You know I will help all I can on this end for
      the location!! Good luck you guy's had better figure on diggin deep for
      this one sure wish I could help with this as well but money has never been
      my nor my families strong point!! I have been living week to week lately
      asnd my free time is limited at best. I hope to make one of these meetings
      but until I get off the second shift my hands are tied !! I think in the
      futue the flanger that sit's here in Northville may become available ? and
      moving it certainly would not be the project this one will be??
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 10, 2001
        I'm concerned about the ringer aspect. However, Randy you know who to talk
        to at the city. Talk to them Monday AM to see what they can do, will permit
        to be done, or want no part of. I expect be free the next three days and
        perhaps Gino and I can join you to get this thing in perspective. This is
        better than the remains of the flanger, at least, except for the stove it
        appears to be all there.

        When you talked to the guy what was his take on the bidding and did he
        consider donating and taking a tax write off which might be better than the
        money if he has a business. Really need to feel whether he is shilling this
        thing.

        Gino talk to us, oh keeper of the flame.

        Paul

        >From: "Randy & Lorraine" <rldecker@...>
        >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [FJGRailroad] caboose
        >Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 10:58:16 -0400
        >
        >Hey guy's I just talked with Mr. William Krug he is the current owner of
        >the car in question he say's he would love to see this go to a group like
        >ours that would care for it in the manner we have planned ?? he also say's
        >he would certainly help with taking payments and also keeping it at his
        >location for a few months while the Money is raised for it's relocation??
        >told him if it was bought ()which is unlikely) we may not be able to have
        >it
        >moved until late fall and he did not have a problem with this at all ??
        >Just to let you guy's know You know I will help all I can on this end for
        >the location!! Good luck you guy's had better figure on diggin deep for
        >this one sure wish I could help with this as well but money has never
        >been
        >my nor my families strong point!! I have been living week to week lately
        >asnd my free time is limited at best. I hope to make one of these meetings
        >but until I get off the second shift my hands are tied !! I think in
        >the
        >futue the flanger that sit's here in Northville may become available ? and
        >moving it certainly would not be the project this one will be??

      • Walt Danylak
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 10, 2001
          --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Randy & Lorraine" <rldecker@s...> wrote:
          Hey guy's I just talked with Mr. William Krug he is the current
          owner of the car in question ...

          I just received the following email response:

          FROM: "Aaron M Sverduk" (computer@...)
          SUBJECT: RE: Question for seller -- Item #1151815790
          DATE: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 16:25:08

          I will email you tomorrow about 6

          Your ad mentioned you know the s/n of the caboose. Would
          you please let me know what it is.

          I don't know if "Aaron M Sverduk" is a real name or not. Just
          thought I would pass along the info.

          Walt
        • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 11, 2001
            I am ready to help in anyway possible for this Caboose! I would be killer
            to have it sitting behind that boxcar!!! From the pictures, it looks like
            it's in pretty good shape!!! Like Randy, I too don't have the money to
            put up! I'd have to sell my body and we'd get about .25 cents for that!
            We've got to make this happen! If we get the caboose and the Flanger, it's
            only natural we get the 44 toner to set in front of them!!!

            > From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>

            > I'm concerned about the ringer aspect. However, Randy you know who to talk
            > to at the city. Talk to them Monday AM to see what they can do, will permit
            > to be done, or want no part of. I expect be free the next three days and
            > perhaps Gino and I can join you to get this thing in perspective. This is
            > better than the remains of the flanger, at least, except for the stove it
            > appears to be all there.
            >
            > When you talked to the guy what was his take on the bidding and did he
            > consider donating and taking a tax write off which might be better than the
            > money if he has a business. Really need to feel whether he is shilling this
            > thing.
            >
            > Gino talk to us, oh keeper of the flame.
            >
            > Paul

          • Randy & Lorraine
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 11, 2001
              Paul I am confused?? Ringer Aspect?? and the City?? is someone buying
              this?? I sure do not want to ask the mayor anything unless I am sure one or
              more of you guy's really wants to buy this?? Let me know ASAP?? I called
              this guy through Honesdale Penn. I did not realize this was on Ebay until
              later?? to bad I bet he would have sold it for a very reasonable price to
              our group!!!!

              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 11, 2001
                Randy,

                I understand this thing has been for sale for a while but the interest or
                money couldn't be raised. What we need to know is will the city accept it
                or at least, is the thought of the thing coming back to town favorable.
                Obviously no-one can make a decision for a whole committee, but they can be
                influential with their favor or disfavor. I was hoping to get over to see
                Abe or Gene today but couldn't get out. Maybe tomorrow. Could pole council
                members for their opinions. If its negative any further effort for public
                display would be a waste of time.

                We need more money than has been pledged or this won't happen this time
                around, but at least it is not likely to be destroyed yet.

              • Randy & Lorraine
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 11, 2001
                  I did not realize it had been up for sale until now no matter really money
                  is always an issue?? but I see no way to get the answers together in the
                  time allotted?? I am sure if their is a pledge made that would ensure the
                  car would be painted and if the cost to the city was minimal their would be
                  little or no real opposition to this car coming back here?? but this is
                  academic, right? $ 4,000 plus another $4,000 to move it is not within the
                  means of this group at this time? perhaps in the future another possibility
                  will present itself?? for now projects continue?? would have been nice
                  though!!

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 12, 2001
                    Ah, means are relative to the goal. If one of my girls wasn't getting
                    maried in September there would be another active bidder. Unfortunately the
                    rest of the summer will be a little slow for me. At least it doesn't appear
                    it will be destroyed. I gather the guy is under some need to move it from
                    where it is.

                    PKL

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 12, 2001
                      He say's it is in his Yard and the trucks are down at his machinery
                      business?? he just wants it gone now it has been used for his kids as a
                      play-house for some time?? bet he boughtr it from Honesdale for a song??
                      Ohh Well

                      Message 10 of 22 , May 11 7:01 PM
                        This is going to sound kinda wacky, but does anyone out there know of a wood
                        caboose thats in deplorable condition that has metal end rails and a ladder
                        with a door and coupola thats in decent shape ? I am thinking about putting
                        something up in my yard that resembles a caboose. I recently built a shed
                        and have put a pair of markers up on it. It looks neat!
                        Also looking for a Piper font and burner for a CP marker.

                        it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
                      • Dean R. Pausley
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 11 3:15 PM
                          As I was eading west bound on rt. 5 into Amsterdam my head swung around just in time to see a green caboose on the end of an east bound freight. Haven't seen one in a long time. I was going to turn around on the end but got into traffic. This was not the old caboose the use on the cut up the hill. Sort of a PennCentral/PL&E jade green.

                          Dean Pausley
                        • Stephen G. Myers
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 17 4:37 PM
                            It was a DODX caboose.

                              Steve Myers

                            On Wed, 11 May 2005 18:15:43 -0400 "Dean R. Pausley" <dpausle1@...> writes:
                            As I was eading west bound on rt. 5 into Amsterdam my head swung around just in time to see a green caboose on the end of an east bound freight. Haven't seen one in a long time. I was going to turn around on the end but got into traffic. This was not the old caboose the use on the cut up the hill. Sort of a PennCentral/PL&E jade green.

                            Dean Pausley

                            Visit Gino's Railpage at
                            Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
                            http://www.lostlandmarks.org

                            Message 13 of 22 , May 18 2:49 PM
                              Steve:
                                        Thank you. Were there other DoD cars in the consist?

                              Dean P.
                              Brunswick
                            • Stephen G. Myers

                                Message 15 of 22 , May 19 3:43 PM
                                  Steve:
                                          Such a short stay. I was born in Selkirk and grew up there. So much history under my feet back in the fiftes but just too young to know what I was witnessing.

                                  Youth is wasted on the young.
                                  Dean Pausley

                                • Stephen G. Myers

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 15, 2006
                                      Anyone know where i might be able to find a caboose. Would prefer a car on
                                      an active rail line. Preferably with rollerbearings
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 16, 2006
                                        Hi Joe,

                                        On page 99 of the April 2006 Trains magazine there is an ad for 20 ex-CR
                                        NE-6 cabeese for sale... like these from Atlas only bigger and a tad
                                        more expensive:

                                        http://www.atlasrr.com/Images/HOFreightCars/hone6caboose/6306-1.jpg

                                        The price is $8500, and appear to be on their own trucks.

                                        "Located in PA,
                                        Trucking available,
                                        For more information
                                        phone (717) 426-4919"

                                        Paul :-)

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Mar 16, 2006
                                          I talked to that guy. They all have friction bearing trucks. Conrail would
                                          not hanfdle them in interchange.

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Mar 16, 2006
                                            Hi Joe,

                                            Conrail won't handle their own cabeese... hmm, maybe they are trying to
                                            tell you something!

                                            Click on this Google image search and you will see many cabeese for sale:

                                            http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=caboose%20for%20sale&btnG=Search&sa=N&tab=wi

                                            You would have to look at the photos or contact the people to see if
                                            they are still for sale or equipped with roller bearings, but it's a start.

                                            Paul :-)

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Mar 16, 2006
                                              Joe in reality it might be cheaper to truck it anyway. The railroads don't
                                              care to handle these kind of moves because they get in the way of the real
                                              money today.

                                              PKL

                                              >From: "joseph Klapkowski" <riverlinejoe@...>
                                              >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                              >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] caboose
                                              >Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 15:49:34 +0000
                                              >
                                              >I talked to that guy. They all have friction bearing trucks. Conrail would
                                              >not hanfdle them in interchange.
                                              >

                                              > >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
                                              > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                              > >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] caboose
                                              > >Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 07:17:04 -0500
                                              > >
                                              > >Hi Joe,
                                              > >
                                              > >On page 99 of the April 2006 Trains magazine there is an ad for 20 ex-CR
                                              > >NE-6 cabeese for sale... like these from Atlas only bigger and a tad
                                              > >more expensive:
                                              > >
                                              > >http://www.atlasrr.com/Images/HOFreightCars/hone6caboose/6306-1.jpg
                                              > >
                                              > >The price is $8500, and appear to be on their own trucks.
                                              > >
                                              > >"Located in PA,
                                              > >Trucking available,
                                              > >For more information
                                              > >phone (717) 426-4919"
                                              > >
                                              > >Paul :-)
                                              > >
                                              > >joseph Klapkowski wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > > Anyone know where i might be able to find a caboose. Would prefer a
                                              >car
                                              > >on
                                              > > > an active rail line. Preferably with rollerbearings

                                            • oleroadslug
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Mar 16, 2006
                                                Is the midwest to far to consider? Trucked, we got them.

                                                Wouldn't CP's asset management group be able to assist?

                                                Bob Schoneman
                                                Appleton, WI