Re: [FJGRailroad] Question: Electric Division Operation - Cars 51 - 53

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 9, 2001
      Hello Glenn,

      Glad to see you willing to help get this caboose. I trust Randy will make
      an effort with his contacts at the city to have a spot for it next to the
      box car and maybe help in the acquisition. The following answers to your
      questions come from ETT No. 38, November 25,1917.

      Re question one: I cannot say what the cars always did but all their
      scheduled trips swung into the Johnstown station where they dropped their
      mail and Johnstown baggage. The back line was used only for extra and work
      movements after the Market Street line was completed. When the parallel
      line from Market Street to the Gloversville steam station was completed the
      back line would have been impracticable for regular movements as they would
      buck the current of traffic at Kings Jct and thereafter need orders to run
      to further north.

      Question two: If they did by this timetable they operated as Extras.
      There is no scheduled baggage movement east of Sulphur Spring Jct. The last
      daily accomodation train arived Schenectady at 1:39 and departed for
      Amsterdam at 1:45; not enough time to make a quick trip to Albany. The
      first car to Fonda of the day originated at the carbarn at 5:53 and was
      followed by the first passenger car at 5:58. It's a safe bet this car
      brought up the daily papers from New York City and Albany. In No. 41 of
      Sept. 25, 1921 the early morning bag was no longer scheduled.

      Question three: Meets were scheduled and made at any of the three turnouts
      south of Sulphur Springs, (there were only two daily scheduled meets south
      of the Junction, one at Middle turnout and another at Cayadutta Park, in
      this timetable. Sulphur Spring, Moore's turnout, Middle turnout, Cayadutta
      Park, Fonda.

      PKL