Re: Color Scheme and Numbering of 340

  • Walt Danylak
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 5, 2001
      --- In FJGRailroad@y..., Gino And Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@c...> wrote:
      Walt,

      Are you saying that the 340 was dark green when it arrived at the FJG?

      Gino

      Gino,

      Yes. 340 wasn't painted orange and yellow until after 20 & 21 arrived.

      Take a look at Ebay item 1152075013. This is the paint scheme the 340
      had when it arrived.

      Walt
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 7, 2001
        Walt,

        I knew the 340 wasn't Orange until after it's crash with Number 20, I just
        didn't think it was
        great when it arrived. I've seen color photos of it in it's original color,
        It looked more brown,
        but it could've been a bad photo!

        > ----------

      • Walt Danylak
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 7, 2001
          --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
          Walt,

          I knew the 340 wasn't Orange until after it's crash with Number 20, I
          just didn't think it was great when it arrived. I've seen color
          photos of it in it's original color, It looked more brown, but it
          could've been a bad photo!

          Gino,

          The 340 was orange & yellow when it had the accident with 20. I'm
          guessing it was repainted orange & yellow shortly after 20 arrived,
          but I have no proof of that. The 340 also had a minor repainting in
          its original paint scheme. The name was condensed so it wasn't split
          as it was when it first arrived.

          Walt
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 7, 2001
            With the pictures I have of the accident, you really can't tell what the
            paint scheme is!
            I didn't think they repainted it until it was being fixed because of the
            accident...

            > ----------
            > From: Walt Danylak
            >
            > Gino,
            >
            > The 340 was orange & yellow when it had the accident with 20. I'm
            > guessing it was repainted orange & yellow shortly after 20 arrived,
            > but I have no proof of that. The 340 also had a minor repainting in
            > its original paint scheme. The name was condensed so it wasn't split
            > as it was when it first arrived.
            >
            > Walt

          • Glenn Williams
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 7, 2001
              > > From: Walt Danylak
              > >
              > > Gino,
              > >
              > > The 340 was orange & yellow when it had the accident with 20. I'm
              > > guessing it was repainted orange & yellow shortly after 20
              > > arrived, but I have no proof of that. The 340 also had a minor
              > > repainting in its original paint scheme. The name was condensed
              > > so it wasn't split as it was when it first arrived.
              > >
              > > Walt

              Walt,

              Things are getting interesting. There is a shot in Steam & Trolley
              Days of 340 at the Gloversville depot (around page 6?) decked out in
              what we are referring to as 'the original paint scheme,' with a
              zebra-striped end.

              Is it the 'original original' or the 'revised original'? [grin]
              Another dating technique discovered!

              Glenn
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 7, 2001
                It came to the FJG with the zebra stripes, right?

                > ----------
                > From: Glenn Williams
                >

                > Walt,
                >
                > Things are getting interesting. There is a shot in Steam & Trolley
                > Days of 340 at the Gloversville depot (around page 6?) decked out in
                > what we are referring to as 'the original paint scheme,' with a
                > zebra-striped end.
                >
                > Is it the 'original original' or the 'revised original'? [grin]
                > Another dating technique discovered!
                >
                > Glenn

              • Walt Danylak
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 7, 2001
                  From: Walt Danylak

                  Walt,

                  Things are getting interesting. There is a shot in Steam & Trolley
                  Days of 340 at the Gloversville depot (around page 6?) decked out in
                  what we are referring to as 'the original paint scheme,' with a
                  zebra-striped end.

                  Is it the 'original original' or the 'revised original'? [grin]
                  Another dating technique discovered!

                  Glenn

                  Glenn,

                  Don't have the Steam & Trolley Days book handy. Check out ebay
                  #1152075013. This is the "original original" scheme. Note that the
                  words Fonda and Gloversville are split. On the "revised original"
                  the words are not split.

                  Walt
                • Howard Reed
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 7, 2001

                    “Don't have the Steam & Trolley Days book handy. Check out ebay
                    #1152075013. This is the "original original" scheme. Note that the
                    words Fonda and Gloversville are split. On the "revised original"
                    the words are not split.

                    Walt”

                    Is it possible that the lettering on the original 340 was lettered on way on one side and differently on the other? In other could it be that Fonda and Gloversville were split on one side of the car and together on the other side????

                    Just an idea!

                    Howard Reed

                    5 High Street

                    Oneonta, NY 13820-1715

                    reedhe@...

                    (607)432-5870

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 7, 2001
                      Gino,

                      Olive Drab would appear brown in some light. Black and white on the ends.

                      Paul

                      >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                      >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                      >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: Color Scheme and Numbering of 340
                      >Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 08:05:42 -0500
                      >
                      >Walt,
                      >
                      >I knew the 340 wasn't Orange until after it's crash with Number 20, I just
                      >didn't think it was
                      >great when it arrived. I've seen color photos of it in it's original
                      >color,
                      >It looked more brown,
                      >but it could've been a bad photo!
                      >
                      > > ----------

                    • Walt Danylak
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 7, 2001
                        Walt

                        Is it possible that the lettering on the original 340 was lettered on
                        way on one side and differently on the other? In other could it be
                        that Fonda and Gloversville were split on one side of the car and
                        together on the other side????

                        Just an idea!

                        Howard Reed

                        Howard,

                        It's possible, but I don't think so. Most of the photos of 340 show
                        only the left side. Very few were taken from the right side due to
                        the way the car was operated. Most of the time the right side was
                        next to a station. I'll have to check my photos and let you know.

                        Walt
                      • Richard A. Finn
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 8, 2001
                          good morning all

                          Here are two different views of the same side of 340 from eBay.

                          http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1149486959

                          http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1152075013

                          Rich

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 8, 2001
                            In FJGRailroad@y..., "Glenn Williams" <103424.2304@c...> wrote:
                            Walt,

                            Things are getting interesting. There is a shot in Steam & Trolley
                            Days of 340 at the Gloversville depot (around page 6?) decked out in
                            what we are referring to as 'the original paint scheme,' with a
                            zebra-striped end.

                            Is it the 'original original' or the 'revised original'? [grin]
                            Another dating technique discovered!

                            Glenn

                            Glenn & Others,

                            The photo in Steam & Trolley Days is the "original original" paint
                            scheme. I have a photo of 340 taken in the early 1940's, I think, and
                            all the lettering is between the two baggage doors. I'll see if I can
                            get the photo scanned and post in the Files section.

                            Walt
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 8, 2001
                              I have a set that shows the car apparently in new paint, no blemish under
                              the window as in that one eBay shot, outside the paint shop and a front end
                              shot. I believe these to be taken shortly after arrival and evidence the
                              split words FON (door) DA JOHNSTOWN & GLOVERS (door) VILLE. The ampersand
                              was used on both old paint schemes. I have a shot of the right side in the
                              old paint but am unable to make out the lettering.

                              In the traction colors the word AND was used and on the left side the
                              lettering was FONDA JOHNSTOWN AND (door) GLOVERSVILLE, while on the right
                              side it was FONDA (door) JOHNSTOWN AND GLOVERSVILLE. Lettering started
                              behind the front baggage door.

                              Have not been able to track down a repaint date as yet. But it was in
                              traction colors when hit by the 20.

                              PKL