Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Color Scheme and Numbering of 340

  • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 5 7:11 AM
      Walt,

      Are you saying that the 340 was dark green when it arrived at the FJG?

      Gino

      > From: "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@...>

      > Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Color Scheme and Numbering of 340
      >

      > Glenn,
      >
      > The number 340 was on the car when it arrived, but it did NOT, let me
      > repeat that, did NOT come from the Huntington & Broad Top Mountain!
      > I'm still tracking down where the 340 came from. I hope to have some
      > photos in the near future. As for color, I assume it was painted and
      > lettered the same as the Brill gas cars (200-202): dark green body,
      > red roof and yellow/gold lettering and stripes. I've never talked
      > with anyone that knows for sure.
      >
      > Walt
    • Walt Danylak
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 5 3:50 PM
        --- In FJGRailroad@y..., Gino And Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@c...> wrote:
        Walt,

        Are you saying that the 340 was dark green when it arrived at the FJG?

        Gino

        Gino,

        Yes. 340 wasn't painted orange and yellow until after 20 & 21 arrived.

        Take a look at Ebay item 1152075013. This is the paint scheme the 340
        had when it arrived.

        Walt
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 7 6:05 AM
          Walt,

          I knew the 340 wasn't Orange until after it's crash with Number 20, I just
          didn't think it was
          great when it arrived. I've seen color photos of it in it's original color,
          It looked more brown,
          but it could've been a bad photo!

          > ----------

        • Walt Danylak
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 7 8:06 AM
            --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
            Walt,

            I knew the 340 wasn't Orange until after it's crash with Number 20, I
            just didn't think it was great when it arrived. I've seen color
            photos of it in it's original color, It looked more brown, but it
            could've been a bad photo!

            Gino,

            The 340 was orange & yellow when it had the accident with 20. I'm
            guessing it was repainted orange & yellow shortly after 20 arrived,
            but I have no proof of that. The 340 also had a minor repainting in
            its original paint scheme. The name was condensed so it wasn't split
            as it was when it first arrived.

            Walt
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 7 8:12 AM
              With the pictures I have of the accident, you really can't tell what the
              paint scheme is!
              I didn't think they repainted it until it was being fixed because of the
              accident...

              > ----------
              > From: Walt Danylak
              >
              > Gino,
              >
              > The 340 was orange & yellow when it had the accident with 20. I'm
              > guessing it was repainted orange & yellow shortly after 20 arrived,
              > but I have no proof of that. The 340 also had a minor repainting in
              > its original paint scheme. The name was condensed so it wasn't split
              > as it was when it first arrived.
              >
              > Walt

            • Glenn Williams
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 7 8:35 AM
                > > From: Walt Danylak
                > >
                > > Gino,
                > >
                > > The 340 was orange & yellow when it had the accident with 20. I'm
                > > guessing it was repainted orange & yellow shortly after 20
                > > arrived, but I have no proof of that. The 340 also had a minor
                > > repainting in its original paint scheme. The name was condensed
                > > so it wasn't split as it was when it first arrived.
                > >
                > > Walt

                Walt,

                Things are getting interesting. There is a shot in Steam & Trolley
                Days of 340 at the Gloversville depot (around page 6?) decked out in
                what we are referring to as 'the original paint scheme,' with a
                zebra-striped end.

                Is it the 'original original' or the 'revised original'? [grin]
                Another dating technique discovered!

                Glenn
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 7 8:40 AM
                  It came to the FJG with the zebra stripes, right?

                  > ----------
                  > From: Glenn Williams
                  >

                  > Walt,
                  >
                  > Things are getting interesting. There is a shot in Steam & Trolley
                  > Days of 340 at the Gloversville depot (around page 6?) decked out in
                  > what we are referring to as 'the original paint scheme,' with a
                  > zebra-striped end.
                  >
                  > Is it the 'original original' or the 'revised original'? [grin]
                  > Another dating technique discovered!
                  >
                  > Glenn

                • Walt Danylak
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 7 10:37 AM
                    From: Walt Danylak

                    Walt,

                    Things are getting interesting. There is a shot in Steam & Trolley
                    Days of 340 at the Gloversville depot (around page 6?) decked out in
                    what we are referring to as 'the original paint scheme,' with a
                    zebra-striped end.

                    Is it the 'original original' or the 'revised original'? [grin]
                    Another dating technique discovered!

                    Glenn

                    Glenn,

                    Don't have the Steam & Trolley Days book handy. Check out ebay
                    #1152075013. This is the "original original" scheme. Note that the
                    words Fonda and Gloversville are split. On the "revised original"
                    the words are not split.

                    Walt
                  • Howard Reed
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 7 10:55 AM

                      “Don't have the Steam & Trolley Days book handy. Check out ebay
                      #1152075013. This is the "original original" scheme. Note that the
                      words Fonda and Gloversville are split. On the "revised original"
                      the words are not split.

                      Walt”

                      Is it possible that the lettering on the original 340 was lettered on way on one side and differently on the other? In other could it be that Fonda and Gloversville were split on one side of the car and together on the other side????

                      Just an idea!

                      Howard Reed

                      5 High Street

                      Oneonta, NY 13820-1715

                      reedhe@...

                      (607)432-5870

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 7 2:28 PM
                        Gino,

                        Olive Drab would appear brown in some light. Black and white on the ends.

                        Paul

                        >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                        >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                        >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: Color Scheme and Numbering of 340
                        >Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 08:05:42 -0500
                        >
                        >Walt,
                        >
                        >I knew the 340 wasn't Orange until after it's crash with Number 20, I just
                        >didn't think it was
                        >great when it arrived. I've seen color photos of it in it's original
                        >color,
                        >It looked more brown,
                        >but it could've been a bad photo!
                        >
                        > > ----------

                      • Walt Danylak
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 7 4:07 PM
                          Walt

                          Is it possible that the lettering on the original 340 was lettered on
                          way on one side and differently on the other? In other could it be
                          that Fonda and Gloversville were split on one side of the car and
                          together on the other side????

                          Just an idea!

                          Howard Reed

                          Howard,

                          It's possible, but I don't think so. Most of the photos of 340 show
                          only the left side. Very few were taken from the right side due to
                          the way the car was operated. Most of the time the right side was
                          next to a station. I'll have to check my photos and let you know.

                          Walt
                        • Richard A. Finn
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 8 8:37 AM
                            good morning all

                            Here are two different views of the same side of 340 from eBay.

                            http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1149486959

                            http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1152075013

                            Rich

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 8 6:09 PM
                              In FJGRailroad@y..., "Glenn Williams" <103424.2304@c...> wrote:
                              Walt,

                              Things are getting interesting. There is a shot in Steam & Trolley
                              Days of 340 at the Gloversville depot (around page 6?) decked out in
                              what we are referring to as 'the original paint scheme,' with a
                              zebra-striped end.

                              Is it the 'original original' or the 'revised original'? [grin]
                              Another dating technique discovered!

                              Glenn

                              Glenn & Others,

                              The photo in Steam & Trolley Days is the "original original" paint
                              scheme. I have a photo of 340 taken in the early 1940's, I think, and
                              all the lettering is between the two baggage doors. I'll see if I can
                              get the photo scanned and post in the Files section.

                              Walt
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 8 8:36 PM
                                I have a set that shows the car apparently in new paint, no blemish under
                                the window as in that one eBay shot, outside the paint shop and a front end
                                shot. I believe these to be taken shortly after arrival and evidence the
                                split words FON (door) DA JOHNSTOWN & GLOVERS (door) VILLE. The ampersand
                                was used on both old paint schemes. I have a shot of the right side in the
                                old paint but am unable to make out the lettering.

                                In the traction colors the word AND was used and on the left side the
                                lettering was FONDA JOHNSTOWN AND (door) GLOVERSVILLE, while on the right
                                side it was FONDA (door) JOHNSTOWN AND GLOVERSVILLE. Lettering started
                                behind the front baggage door.

                                Have not been able to track down a repaint date as yet. But it was in
                                traction colors when hit by the 20.

                                PKL