Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Engine #14

  • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 5, 2001
      OK Walt, I'm not too good with the math of modeling. If the original
      lettering was 5 inches, what would it be on an HO scale engine? You
      say it was silver and not white? What about the 14 on the cab? That
      wasn't white?

      Gino

      > From: "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@...>

      > Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Engine #14

      > Gino
      >
      > I would guess that the lettering is 4", maybe 5", but no larger than
      > 5". Also, if I remember correctly, the lettering should be silver and
      > not white.
      >
      > Walt
    • Walt Danylak
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 5, 2001
        --- In FJGRailroad@y..., Gino And Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@c...> wrote:
        OK Walt, I'm not too good with the math of modeling. If the original
        lettering was 5 inches, what would it be on an HO scale engine? You
        say it was silver and not white? What about the 14 on the cab? That
        wasn't white?

        Gino

        Gino,

        To determine the size you need divide 1 by 87.1. This will give the
        actual size of 1" in HO scale (.01148"). Then multiply the result
        (.01148") by the number of inches you need. If you want 5" in HO it
        would be .057405". I don't know if anyone offers true HO scale
        lettering. I suggest you try Champ. If you can't find true HO
        lettering, try using 3/64" lettering. This is a little more than 4"
        in HO scale.

        This rule applies to all scales. For N divide 1 by 160, for S divide
        1 by 64 and for O divide 1 by 48.

        As I said, I think, I'm not positive, the lettering was silver. This
        would include all lettering and numbers.

        Walt