Re: Engine #14

  • Walt Danylak
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 5, 2001
      --- In FJGRailroad@y..., Gino And Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@c...> wrote:
      Hi guys,

      In going through some of my old model trains, I found an 0-6-0 that
      looks a lot like 14. I'm gonna put a 14 on the cab, but I want to put
      Fonda Johnstown and Gloversville on the tender. Does anyone know what
      size decals I'd have to use to do this?

      Gino

      I would guess that the lettering is 4", maybe 5", but no larger than
      5". Also, if I remember correctly, the lettering should be silver and
      not white.

      Walt
    • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 5, 2001
        OK Walt, I'm not too good with the math of modeling. If the original
        lettering was 5 inches, what would it be on an HO scale engine? You
        say it was silver and not white? What about the 14 on the cab? That
        wasn't white?

        Gino

        > From: "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@...>

        > Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Engine #14

        > Gino
        >
        > I would guess that the lettering is 4", maybe 5", but no larger than
        > 5". Also, if I remember correctly, the lettering should be silver and
        > not white.
        >
        > Walt
      • Walt Danylak
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 5, 2001
          --- In FJGRailroad@y..., Gino And Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@c...> wrote:
          OK Walt, I'm not too good with the math of modeling. If the original
          lettering was 5 inches, what would it be on an HO scale engine? You
          say it was silver and not white? What about the 14 on the cab? That
          wasn't white?

          Gino

          Gino,

          To determine the size you need divide 1 by 87.1. This will give the
          actual size of 1" in HO scale (.01148"). Then multiply the result
          (.01148") by the number of inches you need. If you want 5" in HO it
          would be .057405". I don't know if anyone offers true HO scale
          lettering. I suggest you try Champ. If you can't find true HO
          lettering, try using 3/64" lettering. This is a little more than 4"
          in HO scale.

          This rule applies to all scales. For N divide 1 by 160, for S divide
          1 by 64 and for O divide 1 by 48.

          As I said, I think, I'm not positive, the lettering was silver. This
          would include all lettering and numbers.

          Walt