Re: Color Scheme and Numbering of 340

  • Walt Danylak
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 4, 2001
      --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Glenn Williams" <103424.2304@c...> wrote:
      --- In FJGRailroad@e..., "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@c...> wrote:
      Does anyone know what the color scheme of #340 was when it arrived
      in 1938? Also, does anyone know why the number 340 was used? A number
      such as 210 or 300 would seem to make for sense than 340.

      Walt

      Walt,

      I seem to recall 340 was the number it had when acquired from the
      H&BTM, but I cannot remember who told me.

      Glenn

      Glenn,

      The number 340 was on the car when it arrived, but it did NOT, let me
      repeat that, did NOT come from the Huntington & Broad Top Mountain!
      I'm still tracking down where the 340 came from. I hope to have some
      photos in the near future. As for color, I assume it was painted and
      lettered the same as the Brill gas cars (200-202): dark green body,
      red roof and yellow/gold lettering and stripes. I've never talked
      with anyone that knows for sure.

      Walt
    • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 5, 2001
        Walt,

        Are you saying that the 340 was dark green when it arrived at the FJG?

        Gino

        > From: "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@...>

        > Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Color Scheme and Numbering of 340
        >

        > Glenn,
        >
        > The number 340 was on the car when it arrived, but it did NOT, let me
        > repeat that, did NOT come from the Huntington & Broad Top Mountain!
        > I'm still tracking down where the 340 came from. I hope to have some
        > photos in the near future. As for color, I assume it was painted and
        > lettered the same as the Brill gas cars (200-202): dark green body,
        > red roof and yellow/gold lettering and stripes. I've never talked
        > with anyone that knows for sure.
        >
        > Walt
      • Walt Danylak
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 5, 2001
          --- In FJGRailroad@y..., Gino And Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@c...> wrote:
          Walt,

          Are you saying that the 340 was dark green when it arrived at the FJG?

          Gino

          Gino,

          Yes. 340 wasn't painted orange and yellow until after 20 & 21 arrived.

          Take a look at Ebay item 1152075013. This is the paint scheme the 340
          had when it arrived.

          Walt
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 7, 2001
            Walt,

            I knew the 340 wasn't Orange until after it's crash with Number 20, I just
            didn't think it was
            great when it arrived. I've seen color photos of it in it's original color,
            It looked more brown,
            but it could've been a bad photo!

            > ----------

          • Walt Danylak
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 7, 2001
              --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
              Walt,

              I knew the 340 wasn't Orange until after it's crash with Number 20, I
              just didn't think it was great when it arrived. I've seen color
              photos of it in it's original color, It looked more brown, but it
              could've been a bad photo!

              Gino,

              The 340 was orange & yellow when it had the accident with 20. I'm
              guessing it was repainted orange & yellow shortly after 20 arrived,
              but I have no proof of that. The 340 also had a minor repainting in
              its original paint scheme. The name was condensed so it wasn't split
              as it was when it first arrived.

              Walt
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 7, 2001
                With the pictures I have of the accident, you really can't tell what the
                paint scheme is!
                I didn't think they repainted it until it was being fixed because of the
                accident...

                > ----------
                > From: Walt Danylak
                >
                > Gino,
                >
                > The 340 was orange & yellow when it had the accident with 20. I'm
                > guessing it was repainted orange & yellow shortly after 20 arrived,
                > but I have no proof of that. The 340 also had a minor repainting in
                > its original paint scheme. The name was condensed so it wasn't split
                > as it was when it first arrived.
                >
                > Walt

              • Glenn Williams
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 7, 2001
                  > > From: Walt Danylak
                  > >
                  > > Gino,
                  > >
                  > > The 340 was orange & yellow when it had the accident with 20. I'm
                  > > guessing it was repainted orange & yellow shortly after 20
                  > > arrived, but I have no proof of that. The 340 also had a minor
                  > > repainting in its original paint scheme. The name was condensed
                  > > so it wasn't split as it was when it first arrived.
                  > >
                  > > Walt

                  Walt,

                  Things are getting interesting. There is a shot in Steam & Trolley
                  Days of 340 at the Gloversville depot (around page 6?) decked out in
                  what we are referring to as 'the original paint scheme,' with a
                  zebra-striped end.

                  Is it the 'original original' or the 'revised original'? [grin]
                  Another dating technique discovered!

                  Glenn
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 7, 2001
                    It came to the FJG with the zebra stripes, right?

                    > ----------
                    > From: Glenn Williams
                    >

                    > Walt,
                    >
                    > Things are getting interesting. There is a shot in Steam & Trolley
                    > Days of 340 at the Gloversville depot (around page 6?) decked out in
                    > what we are referring to as 'the original paint scheme,' with a
                    > zebra-striped end.
                    >
                    > Is it the 'original original' or the 'revised original'? [grin]
                    > Another dating technique discovered!
                    >
                    > Glenn

                  • Walt Danylak
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 7, 2001
                      From: Walt Danylak

                      Walt,

                      Things are getting interesting. There is a shot in Steam & Trolley
                      Days of 340 at the Gloversville depot (around page 6?) decked out in
                      what we are referring to as 'the original paint scheme,' with a
                      zebra-striped end.

                      Is it the 'original original' or the 'revised original'? [grin]
                      Another dating technique discovered!

                      Glenn

                      Glenn,

                      Don't have the Steam & Trolley Days book handy. Check out ebay
                      #1152075013. This is the "original original" scheme. Note that the
                      words Fonda and Gloversville are split. On the "revised original"
                      the words are not split.

                      Walt
                    • Howard Reed
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 7, 2001

                        “Don't have the Steam & Trolley Days book handy. Check out ebay
                        #1152075013. This is the "original original" scheme. Note that the
                        words Fonda and Gloversville are split. On the "revised original"
                        the words are not split.

                        Walt”

                        Is it possible that the lettering on the original 340 was lettered on way on one side and differently on the other? In other could it be that Fonda and Gloversville were split on one side of the car and together on the other side????

                        Just an idea!

                        Howard Reed

                        5 High Street

                        Oneonta, NY 13820-1715

                        reedhe@...

                        (607)432-5870

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 7, 2001
                          Gino,

                          Olive Drab would appear brown in some light. Black and white on the ends.

                          Paul

                          >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                          >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                          >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: Color Scheme and Numbering of 340
                          >Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 08:05:42 -0500
                          >
                          >Walt,
                          >
                          >I knew the 340 wasn't Orange until after it's crash with Number 20, I just
                          >didn't think it was
                          >great when it arrived. I've seen color photos of it in it's original
                          >color,
                          >It looked more brown,
                          >but it could've been a bad photo!
                          >
                          > > ----------

                        • Walt Danylak
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 7, 2001
                            Walt

                            Is it possible that the lettering on the original 340 was lettered on
                            way on one side and differently on the other? In other could it be
                            that Fonda and Gloversville were split on one side of the car and
                            together on the other side????

                            Just an idea!

                            Howard Reed

                            Howard,

                            It's possible, but I don't think so. Most of the photos of 340 show
                            only the left side. Very few were taken from the right side due to
                            the way the car was operated. Most of the time the right side was
                            next to a station. I'll have to check my photos and let you know.

                            Walt
                          • Richard A. Finn
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 8, 2001
                              good morning all

                              Here are two different views of the same side of 340 from eBay.

                              http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1149486959

                              http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1152075013

                              Rich

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 8, 2001
                                In FJGRailroad@y..., "Glenn Williams" <103424.2304@c...> wrote:
                                Walt,

                                Things are getting interesting. There is a shot in Steam & Trolley
                                Days of 340 at the Gloversville depot (around page 6?) decked out in
                                what we are referring to as 'the original paint scheme,' with a
                                zebra-striped end.

                                Is it the 'original original' or the 'revised original'? [grin]
                                Another dating technique discovered!

                                Glenn

                                Glenn & Others,

                                The photo in Steam & Trolley Days is the "original original" paint
                                scheme. I have a photo of 340 taken in the early 1940's, I think, and
                                all the lettering is between the two baggage doors. I'll see if I can
                                get the photo scanned and post in the Files section.

                                Walt
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 8, 2001
                                  I have a set that shows the car apparently in new paint, no blemish under
                                  the window as in that one eBay shot, outside the paint shop and a front end
                                  shot. I believe these to be taken shortly after arrival and evidence the
                                  split words FON (door) DA JOHNSTOWN & GLOVERS (door) VILLE. The ampersand
                                  was used on both old paint schemes. I have a shot of the right side in the
                                  old paint but am unable to make out the lettering.

                                  In the traction colors the word AND was used and on the left side the
                                  lettering was FONDA JOHNSTOWN AND (door) GLOVERSVILLE, while on the right
                                  side it was FONDA (door) JOHNSTOWN AND GLOVERSVILLE. Lettering started
                                  behind the front baggage door.

                                  Have not been able to track down a repaint date as yet. But it was in
                                  traction colors when hit by the 20.

                                  PKL