Color Scheme and Numbering of 340

  • Walt Danylak
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 3, 2001
      Does anyone know what the color scheme of #340 was when it arrived in
      1938? Also, does anyone know why the number 340 was used? A number
      such as 210 or 300 would seem to make for sense than 340.

      Walt
    • Glenn Williams
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 4, 2001
        --- In FJGRailroad@e..., "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@c...> wrote:
        > Does anyone know what the color scheme of #340 was when it arrived
        in
        > 1938? Also, does anyone know why the number 340 was used? A number
        > such as 210 or 300 would seem to make for sense than 340.
        >
        > Walt

        Walt,

        I seem to recall 340 was the number it had when acquired from the
        H&BTM, but I cannot remember who told me.

        Glenn
      • Walt Danylak
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 4, 2001
          --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Glenn Williams" <103424.2304@c...> wrote:
          --- In FJGRailroad@e..., "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@c...> wrote:
          Does anyone know what the color scheme of #340 was when it arrived
          in 1938? Also, does anyone know why the number 340 was used? A number
          such as 210 or 300 would seem to make for sense than 340.

          Walt

          Walt,

          I seem to recall 340 was the number it had when acquired from the
          H&BTM, but I cannot remember who told me.

          Glenn

          Glenn,

          The number 340 was on the car when it arrived, but it did NOT, let me
          repeat that, did NOT come from the Huntington & Broad Top Mountain!
          I'm still tracking down where the 340 came from. I hope to have some
          photos in the near future. As for color, I assume it was painted and
          lettered the same as the Brill gas cars (200-202): dark green body,
          red roof and yellow/gold lettering and stripes. I've never talked
          with anyone that knows for sure.

          Walt
        • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 5, 2001
            Walt,

            Are you saying that the 340 was dark green when it arrived at the FJG?

            Gino

            > From: "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@...>

            > Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Color Scheme and Numbering of 340
            >

            > Glenn,
            >
            > The number 340 was on the car when it arrived, but it did NOT, let me
            > repeat that, did NOT come from the Huntington & Broad Top Mountain!
            > I'm still tracking down where the 340 came from. I hope to have some
            > photos in the near future. As for color, I assume it was painted and
            > lettered the same as the Brill gas cars (200-202): dark green body,
            > red roof and yellow/gold lettering and stripes. I've never talked
            > with anyone that knows for sure.
            >
            > Walt
          • Walt Danylak
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 5, 2001
              --- In FJGRailroad@y..., Gino And Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@c...> wrote:
              Walt,

              Are you saying that the 340 was dark green when it arrived at the FJG?

              Gino

              Gino,

              Yes. 340 wasn't painted orange and yellow until after 20 & 21 arrived.

              Take a look at Ebay item 1152075013. This is the paint scheme the 340
              had when it arrived.

              Walt
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 7, 2001
                Walt,

                I knew the 340 wasn't Orange until after it's crash with Number 20, I just
                didn't think it was
                great when it arrived. I've seen color photos of it in it's original color,
                It looked more brown,
                but it could've been a bad photo!

                > ----------

              • Walt Danylak
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 7, 2001
                  --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
                  Walt,

                  I knew the 340 wasn't Orange until after it's crash with Number 20, I
                  just didn't think it was great when it arrived. I've seen color
                  photos of it in it's original color, It looked more brown, but it
                  could've been a bad photo!

                  Gino,

                  The 340 was orange & yellow when it had the accident with 20. I'm
                  guessing it was repainted orange & yellow shortly after 20 arrived,
                  but I have no proof of that. The 340 also had a minor repainting in
                  its original paint scheme. The name was condensed so it wasn't split
                  as it was when it first arrived.

                  Walt
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 7, 2001
                    With the pictures I have of the accident, you really can't tell what the
                    paint scheme is!
                    I didn't think they repainted it until it was being fixed because of the
                    accident...

                    > ----------
                    > From: Walt Danylak
                    >
                    > Gino,
                    >
                    > The 340 was orange & yellow when it had the accident with 20. I'm
                    > guessing it was repainted orange & yellow shortly after 20 arrived,
                    > but I have no proof of that. The 340 also had a minor repainting in
                    > its original paint scheme. The name was condensed so it wasn't split
                    > as it was when it first arrived.
                    >
                    > Walt

                  • Glenn Williams
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 7, 2001
                      > > From: Walt Danylak
                      > >
                      > > Gino,
                      > >
                      > > The 340 was orange & yellow when it had the accident with 20. I'm
                      > > guessing it was repainted orange & yellow shortly after 20
                      > > arrived, but I have no proof of that. The 340 also had a minor
                      > > repainting in its original paint scheme. The name was condensed
                      > > so it wasn't split as it was when it first arrived.
                      > >
                      > > Walt

                      Walt,

                      Things are getting interesting. There is a shot in Steam & Trolley
                      Days of 340 at the Gloversville depot (around page 6?) decked out in
                      what we are referring to as 'the original paint scheme,' with a
                      zebra-striped end.

                      Is it the 'original original' or the 'revised original'? [grin]
                      Another dating technique discovered!

                      Glenn
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 7, 2001
                        It came to the FJG with the zebra stripes, right?

                        > ----------
                        > From: Glenn Williams
                        >

                        > Walt,
                        >
                        > Things are getting interesting. There is a shot in Steam & Trolley
                        > Days of 340 at the Gloversville depot (around page 6?) decked out in
                        > what we are referring to as 'the original paint scheme,' with a
                        > zebra-striped end.
                        >
                        > Is it the 'original original' or the 'revised original'? [grin]
                        > Another dating technique discovered!
                        >
                        > Glenn

                      • Walt Danylak
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 7, 2001
                          From: Walt Danylak

                          Walt,

                          Things are getting interesting. There is a shot in Steam & Trolley
                          Days of 340 at the Gloversville depot (around page 6?) decked out in
                          what we are referring to as 'the original paint scheme,' with a
                          zebra-striped end.

                          Is it the 'original original' or the 'revised original'? [grin]
                          Another dating technique discovered!

                          Glenn

                          Glenn,

                          Don't have the Steam & Trolley Days book handy. Check out ebay
                          #1152075013. This is the "original original" scheme. Note that the
                          words Fonda and Gloversville are split. On the "revised original"
                          the words are not split.

                          Walt
                        • Howard Reed
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 7, 2001

                            “Don't have the Steam & Trolley Days book handy. Check out ebay
                            #1152075013. This is the "original original" scheme. Note that the
                            words Fonda and Gloversville are split. On the "revised original"
                            the words are not split.

                            Walt”

                            Is it possible that the lettering on the original 340 was lettered on way on one side and differently on the other? In other could it be that Fonda and Gloversville were split on one side of the car and together on the other side????

                            Just an idea!

                            Howard Reed

                            5 High Street

                            Oneonta, NY 13820-1715

                            reedhe@...

                            (607)432-5870

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 7, 2001
                              Gino,

                              Olive Drab would appear brown in some light. Black and white on the ends.

                              Paul

                              >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                              >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                              >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: Color Scheme and Numbering of 340
                              >Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 08:05:42 -0500
                              >
                              >Walt,
                              >
                              >I knew the 340 wasn't Orange until after it's crash with Number 20, I just
                              >didn't think it was
                              >great when it arrived. I've seen color photos of it in it's original
                              >color,
                              >It looked more brown,
                              >but it could've been a bad photo!
                              >
                              > > ----------

                            • Walt Danylak
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 7, 2001
                                Walt

                                Is it possible that the lettering on the original 340 was lettered on
                                way on one side and differently on the other? In other could it be
                                that Fonda and Gloversville were split on one side of the car and
                                together on the other side????

                                Just an idea!

                                Howard Reed

                                Howard,

                                It's possible, but I don't think so. Most of the photos of 340 show
                                only the left side. Very few were taken from the right side due to
                                the way the car was operated. Most of the time the right side was
                                next to a station. I'll have to check my photos and let you know.

                                Walt
                              • Richard A. Finn
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 8, 2001
                                  good morning all

                                  Here are two different views of the same side of 340 from eBay.

                                  http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1149486959

                                  http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1152075013

                                  Rich

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 8, 2001
                                    In FJGRailroad@y..., "Glenn Williams" <103424.2304@c...> wrote:
                                    Walt,

                                    Things are getting interesting. There is a shot in Steam & Trolley
                                    Days of 340 at the Gloversville depot (around page 6?) decked out in
                                    what we are referring to as 'the original paint scheme,' with a
                                    zebra-striped end.

                                    Is it the 'original original' or the 'revised original'? [grin]
                                    Another dating technique discovered!

                                    Glenn

                                    Glenn & Others,

                                    The photo in Steam & Trolley Days is the "original original" paint
                                    scheme. I have a photo of 340 taken in the early 1940's, I think, and
                                    all the lettering is between the two baggage doors. I'll see if I can
                                    get the photo scanned and post in the Files section.

                                    Walt
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 8, 2001
                                      I have a set that shows the car apparently in new paint, no blemish under
                                      the window as in that one eBay shot, outside the paint shop and a front end
                                      shot. I believe these to be taken shortly after arrival and evidence the
                                      split words FON (door) DA JOHNSTOWN & GLOVERS (door) VILLE. The ampersand
                                      was used on both old paint schemes. I have a shot of the right side in the
                                      old paint but am unable to make out the lettering.

                                      In the traction colors the word AND was used and on the left side the
                                      lettering was FONDA JOHNSTOWN AND (door) GLOVERSVILLE, while on the right
                                      side it was FONDA (door) JOHNSTOWN AND GLOVERSVILLE. Lettering started
                                      behind the front baggage door.

                                      Have not been able to track down a repaint date as yet. But it was in
                                      traction colors when hit by the 20.

                                      PKL