FJ&G Photos

  • Walt Danylak
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 2, 2001
      Hello Group:

      In my search for FJ&G photos, I came across a well known supplier of
      railroad photos, Harold K. Vollrath. He has been selling photos for
      several years and is well known throughout the railfan and model
      railroad worlds.

      Anyway, he lists the following FJ&G photos:

      #3 - 4-4-0 - Left Side - G'ville 1909
      #8 - 4-4-0 - Right Side - G'ville 1945
      #8 - 4-4-0 - Left Side - G'ville 1940
      #9 - 4-4-0 - Right Side - G'ville 1945
      #9 - 4-4-0 - Left Side - G'ville 1940
      #11 - 0-8-0 - Right Side - G'ville 1940
      #12 - 2-6-0 - Right Side - G'ville 1932
      #14 - 0-6-0 - Left Side - G'ville 1935

      I think these are common views, but I don't know that for sure. I
      believe the photo of #12 is the same one that was just on Ebay.

      His prices are very reasonable. He offers 2 sizes: 5x8 for $3.00 and
      8x10 for $4.00. Add $3.00 shipping per order. His address is:

      Harold K. Vollrath
      1000 West 97th Terrace
      Kansas City, MO 64114-3800

      Walt
    • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 3, 2001
        Those are the best prices I've seen!

        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 23, 2003
          I did not know the FJ&G sent thier engine to Colonie. What were the
          circumstances ?

          >From: "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@...>
          >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G Photos
          >Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 11:52:04 -0000
          >
          >Speaking of photos, does anyone in the group have the negative of
          >either 20 or 21 at the D&H shops in Colonie? I saw this photo a few
          >years ago, but I don't remember who had it.
          >
          >Walt

          Has one of the new viruses infected your computer? Find out with a FREE
          online computer virus scan from McAfee. Take the FreeScan now!
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 23, 2003
            Didn't they send out the S2s to have new flanges?

            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 23, 2003
              This is just a curiousity thing, but did ALCO or do EMD and GE for that
              matter, cast thier own wheels or buy them from someone

              >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
              >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G Photos
              >Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:36:00 -0600
              >
              >Didn't they send out the S2s to have new flanges?
              >
              >Gino

              online games and music with a high-speed Internet connection! Prices start
              at less than $1 a day average. https://broadband.msn.com (Prices may vary
              by service area.)
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 23, 2003
                Perhaps new wheels or traction motors. I remember a story of one of the
                locomotives being sent out for repair but had to be set off a Yosts. Seems
                they were necessarily geared for 35 mph; not a problem on the FJ&G with its
                low maximum permissible speed and steep grade. NYC though tried to haul it
                a bit faster. This could be the time. Probably mid to late fifties. One
                of them was sent out in the early 60's but I can't recall where. Somewhere
                I have photos of it being hauled back into Gloversville as part of the
                regular train. This may have been a repair necessary after the derailment
                behind the M&K Market in the early sixties. The 20 was never the same after
                this; I think the frame suffered some misalignment that couldn't be repaired
                economically, but didn't render the locomotive useless under its
                circumstances.

                PKL

                >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G Photos
                >Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:36:00 -0600
                >
                >Didn't they send out the S2s to have new flanges?
                >
                >Gino

                Share holiday photos without swamping your Inbox. Get MSN Extra Storage
                now! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 23, 2003
                  Well by the time that I was able to get to the FJ&G to ask questions, The 21
                  had departed the property and I distinctly remember being told that the 21
                  had simply worn out......

                  >From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
                  >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G Photos
                  >Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 20:21:07 -0500
                  >
                  >Perhaps new wheels or traction motors. I remember a story of one of the
                  >locomotives being sent out for repair but had to be set off a Yosts. Seems
                  >they were necessarily geared for 35 mph; not a problem on the FJ&G with its
                  >low maximum permissible speed and steep grade. NYC though tried to haul it
                  >a bit faster. This could be the time. Probably mid to late fifties. One
                  >of them was sent out in the early 60's but I can't recall where. Somewhere
                  >I have photos of it being hauled back into Gloversville as part of the
                  >regular train. This may have been a repair necessary after the derailment
                  >behind the M&K Market in the early sixties. The 20 was never the same
                  >after
                  >this; I think the frame suffered some misalignment that couldn't be
                  >repaired
                  >economically, but didn't render the locomotive useless under its
                  >circumstances.
                  >
                  >PKL
                  >
                  > >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                  > >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                  > >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G Photos
                  > >Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:36:00 -0600
                  > >
                  > >Didn't they send out the S2s to have new flanges?
                  > >
                  > >Gino

                  Is there a gadget-lover on your gift list? MSN Shopping has lined up some
                  good bets! http://shopping.msn.com
                • Walt Danylak
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 24, 2003
                    --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "joseph Klapkowski"
                    <riverlinejoe@h...> wrote:
                    I did not know the FJ&G sent thier engine to Colonie. What were the
                    circumstances ?

                    I don't know for sure why either 20 or 21 was sent to Colonie. The
                    1962 Annual Report states that major repairs were done on one of the
                    locomotives. The FJ&G had a relationship with the D&H, purchased a
                    caboose and flanger from them, so maybe when major work was needed on
                    a locomotive, they chose the D&H rather than the NYC. At this point
                    in time, D&H's roster was 100% Alco. Why the locomotive wasn't sent
                    directly to Alco for repairs, I don't know, unless it was cheaper to
                    use the D&H.

                    Walt
                  • mwilber@webtv.net
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 25, 2003
                      Gino- Another Thankgiving is upon us. Where are you putting your coats
                      this year? Mark