Re: [FJGRailroad] Glovers

  • psefton@crosslink.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2001
      I think Pete Gray may still be with us. At least, as of a year or so ago, he
      was living in the house he was born in in the Pennsylvania coal country.
      Doesn't own a phone and largely refuses to talk baseball.

      What was George Burns like? I would picture him as a rather rugged character
      if he played 10 years for John McGraw. One of his teamates was Christy
      Mathewson, who once stayed in Northville. At the Red Schoolhouse Museum,
      they have a 1912 registration book from the Northville House Hotel, which
      still stands on Main Street. It shows that Christy Mathewson and an
      entourage checked in for about a week in the late fall, probably on a
      hunting trip. Hope it helped him get over a heartbreaking Giants World
      series loss to the Red Sox that year, in which he went 0-2 despite a 1.57
      earned run average.