Train Wreck

  • Walt Danylak
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 2, 2001
      --- In FJGRailroad@y..., mwilber@w... wrote:
      We had another major derailment on our Syracuse line thursday night.
      Nine car lengths of track completely gone. Total of 10 cars that
      derailed. Hazmat car (propane) in a creek without its wheels, one
      upside down, 2 or three on its side,and the rest upright but facing
      different directions. Also lumber is scattered around like
      toothpicks. It was in a hamlet called Messengerville;halfway between
      Cortland and Marathon NY. I havent seen it yet,I worked the Utica
      side yesterday. Maybe Andy or Walt may have something in their local
      paper. Mark

      Mark,

      There was a brief mention on the news last night about the wreck, but
      no more details that what you said. No mention of the wreck in either
      yesterdays or this mornings Post Standard. I did not see the Herald
      Journal last night, so I don't know if they wrote anything about the
      wreck. If I see, hear or read any other info, I'll let you know.

      Walt
    • Randy & Lorraine
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 2, 2001
        It would be fun to see how long the letters last??
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 2, 2001
          At least they are clean words!You dont find too many words on the cars
          that are 3 letters or less;and/or 5 letters or more! Mark
        • Randy & Lorraine
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 4, 2001
            Most of what I see are encrypted??but some are quite straight forward!

          • mwilber@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 2, 2002
              Just heard of a train wreck in Altoona,Pa. tonight which involved 3
              different trains.Details sketchy but sounds like the first train hit a
              track dept. equipment causing the train to derail into a second
              train,and causing that to wreck into a third train.Im just getting
              pieces from other railfans on the net.Maybe someone may know more about
              this than me. Mark
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 3, 2002
                Wow, yeah I saw it on the news this morning. My son told me from the living
                room that NS hoppers were on fire. I didn't know what he was talking about
                until I saw a bunch of Norfolk Southern hoppers derailed with a fire nearby.
                Quite the wreck...

                Gino

              • Knixrule1@juno.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 3, 2002
                  Please tell me that it was a NS train and not CSX??!!

                  Steve

                  .

                  .

                  .

                  .
                  Guilford has gotten rid of its carmen and now makes the train crew
                  inspect the train before they leave East Deerfield, Mellon loves to make
                  a name for himself. So much for all those news articles that I read
                  about him being loving, compassionate, and a philanthropist back in the
                  early eighties when he wanted to buy the B&M,D&H,MEC lines.

                  Steve Myers

                  .

                  .

                  .

                  .

                  .

                  .
                  On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 06:50:41 -0600 "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                  writes:
                  > Wow, yeah I saw it on the news this morning. My son told me from the
                  > living
                  > room that NS hoppers were on fire. I didn't know what he was
                  > talking about
                  > until I saw a bunch of Norfolk Southern hoppers derailed with a fire
                  > nearby.
                  > Quite the wreck...
                  >
                  > Gino
                  >
                  > > ----------

                  GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                  http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                • dowens15228
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 3, 2002
                    More pictures of the wreck are available on www.WJACTV.com, a nearby -
                    Johnstown, PA - including some overhead shots.

                    Dan Owens
                  • dowens15228
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 3, 2002
                      The trailer/container train was NS. I haven't read who owned the 2
                      other trains that hit it.

                      More info this AM on wrta.com.

                      Dan Owens