Re: [FJGRailroad] Glovers

  • Roland Bowers
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
      Pete Gray, with his well developed one arm was an excellent bunter, and as
      you say, he could run like a scalded dog and he also could hit for power. I
      saw him hit one out of the Glovers park and even though he was the enemy,
      the Glovers fans including myself gave him a standing ovation. The year
      before he played with Browns, he led the Southern Association in batting
      averages.

      I once met George Burns. He ran a pool parlor on South Main Street. I also
      knew Bud Holmes, a Gloversville native who was an outfielder with the Boston
      Red Sox when Babe Ruth played for Boston.

      Gloversville had a working agreement with Pittsburgh and I saw the
      Pittsburgh Pirates play an exhibition game in Glovers Park. The major
      leaguers all batted cross handed so they wouldn't run up the score too much.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
        Hey Guy's does any one know if George Burns from Gloversville got his start
        in the local minor leagues??

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • psefton@crosslink.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2001
          I think Pete Gray may still be with us. At least, as of a year or so ago, he
          was living in the house he was born in in the Pennsylvania coal country.
          Doesn't own a phone and largely refuses to talk baseball.

          What was George Burns like? I would picture him as a rather rugged character
          if he played 10 years for John McGraw. One of his teamates was Christy
          Mathewson, who once stayed in Northville. At the Red Schoolhouse Museum,
          they have a 1912 registration book from the Northville House Hotel, which
          still stands on Main Street. It shows that Christy Mathewson and an
          entourage checked in for about a week in the late fall, probably on a
          hunting trip. Hope it helped him get over a heartbreaking Giants World
          series loss to the Red Sox that year, in which he went 0-2 despite a 1.57
          earned run average.