Glovers

  • psefton@crosslink.net
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2001
      Wish I'd gotten to see Pete Gray. I was just reading about him in a book
      about the St. Louis Browns. As a teamate said, "he could run faster than a
      scalded dog". And despite having had his arm amputated at the shoulder, he
      was almost impossible to strike out---in the big leagues he struck out 11
      times in 77 games.

      Did you ever meet the old-time big leaguer who lived in Gloversville named
      George Burns ? An outfielder, he played in the majors for 15 seasons in the
      'teens and '20's, mainly for John McGraw's Giants, and led the National
      League in runs scored 5 or 6 times. I understand he retired to Gloversville
      and died there in 1966.
    • Roland Bowers
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
        Pete Gray, with his well developed one arm was an excellent bunter, and as
        you say, he could run like a scalded dog and he also could hit for power. I
        saw him hit one out of the Glovers park and even though he was the enemy,
        the Glovers fans including myself gave him a standing ovation. The year
        before he played with Browns, he led the Southern Association in batting
        averages.

        I once met George Burns. He ran a pool parlor on South Main Street. I also
        knew Bud Holmes, a Gloversville native who was an outfielder with the Boston
        Red Sox when Babe Ruth played for Boston.

        Gloversville had a working agreement with Pittsburgh and I saw the
        Pittsburgh Pirates play an exhibition game in Glovers Park. The major
        leaguers all batted cross handed so they wouldn't run up the score too much.

        > Wish I'd gotten to see Pete Gray. I was just reading about him in a book
        > about the St. Louis Browns. As a teamate said, "he could run faster than a
        > scalded dog". And despite having had his arm amputated at the shoulder, he
        > was almost impossible to strike out---in the big leagues he struck out 11
        > times in 77 games.
        >
        > Did you ever meet the old-time big leaguer who lived in Gloversville named
        > George Burns ? An outfielder, he played in the majors for 15 seasons in
        the
        > 'teens and '20's, mainly for John McGraw's Giants, and led the National
        > League in runs scored 5 or 6 times. I understand he retired to
        Gloversville
        > and died there in 1966.

        http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

      • Randy & Lorraine
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
          Hey Guy's does any one know if George Burns from Gloversville got his start
          in the local minor leagues??

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • psefton@crosslink.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2001
            I think Pete Gray may still be with us. At least, as of a year or so ago, he
            was living in the house he was born in in the Pennsylvania coal country.
            Doesn't own a phone and largely refuses to talk baseball.

            What was George Burns like? I would picture him as a rather rugged character
            if he played 10 years for John McGraw. One of his teamates was Christy
            Mathewson, who once stayed in Northville. At the Red Schoolhouse Museum,
            they have a 1912 registration book from the Northville House Hotel, which
            still stands on Main Street. It shows that Christy Mathewson and an
            entourage checked in for about a week in the late fall, probably on a
            hunting trip. Hope it helped him get over a heartbreaking Giants World
            series loss to the Red Sox that year, in which he went 0-2 despite a 1.57
            earned run average.