1976 Boxcar Project

    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2001
      Andy Fusco asked me off line about the boxcar project of 1976 in which
      a logo representing Fulton and Montgomery Counties would be painted
      on the 238 boxcars the FJF aquired the previous year. Here are the details!

      The article appeared in the 4/16/76 issue of the Leader. The title of the
      article
      is "Project of Putting County Stencil on FJ&G Cars Stalled." From what you
      can
      guess by the title, it looks like it never went anywhere! According to the
      article, The
      Fulton County Chamber of Commerce sponsored a contest to design the logo
      which would appear on the boxcars! The intention was to stencil all 238 FJG
      cars! Only 5 cars were ever painted, this must be the cars that Walt was
      refering
      to! It says in the article that the economy was booming and that the cars
      were
      never sitting around long. They would arrive on the line one day, then be
      loaded and
      shipped out the next! A combination of weather and time was the factor for
      the project
      stalling!