WTEN Tower in Broadalbin

  • skalbfel@ix.netcom.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 16, 2001
      For Roland...
      Do you have any pictures or knowledge of the WTEN tower arriving or
      departing on flat cars? When I worked at the station in the mid
      sixties, the chief engineer had told me that the 1300 foot tower was
      moved in and out of the site in 50' sections. That would have been
      quite a train. Maybe this story isn't true but I've heard it from more
      than one source over the years.
      Saul
      Message 2 of 3 , May 16, 2001
        Somewhere there are pictures of the gons with the tower sections, maybe I
        have some here; if so I'll post a couple - no promises though I can't say if
        I have them - Randy might have a set too.. They were loaded at the Vail
        Mills spur. A friend and myself climbed up 24 and 23 sections rspectively
        of that tower before we were caught. It was new and quite an attraction and
        the fence hadn't been put up yet. There was one tech there in the building
        and a bunch of us kids at the base. My buddy and I decided we would climb
        the ladder to the top. Needless to say we hardly made it a quarter of the
        way up but I still remember the fantastic view.

        He was pissed when we came down and from hindsight of today I suspect he was
        more than a little relieved we didn't freeze up there or worse fall. I
        remember his comment that had we fallen they would have to pick us up with a
        blotter.

        PKL

        >From: skalbfel@...
        >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [FJGRailroad] WTEN Tower in Broadalbin
        >Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 23:53:24 -0000
        >
        >For Roland...
        >Do you have any pictures or knowledge of the WTEN tower arriving or
        >departing on flat cars? When I worked at the station in the mid
        >sixties, the chief engineer had told me that the 1300 foot tower was
        >moved in and out of the site in 50' sections. That would have been
        >quite a train. Maybe this story isn't true but I've heard it from more
        >than one source over the years.
        >Saul

      • Roland Bowers
        Message 3 of 3 , May 17, 2001
          Saul,

          I remember visiting the site, while it was under construction. I can't
          confirm how it got there. It was in Vails Mills and could have been
          delivered by rail, but not on my years at Boadalbin. If it was brought in on
          flat cars all at one time, that indeed wouldchave been some train. I'll
          contact Red Morey and see if he knows.