Walt

  • Randy & Lorraine Decker
    Message 1 of 11 , May 15, 2001
      That log book/diary is a wonderful piece of recorded history!! Great find
      Walt!! great information for the Big Book!!!
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 22, 2005
        Hi guys,

        Our friend and fellow FJ&G Historian Walt Danylak is in the hospital
        and under the
        weather. It would really be great if everyone on this list would say
        a little prayer for
        Walt and to just keep him in your thoughts! If anyone would like to
        drop him a line
        and say, get well soon, just pass it on to me at fjgrailroad@...
        and I'll send
        it along to him!

        Thanks,

        www.ginosrailpage.com
        www.fjgrr.org
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 18, 2005
          I hate to post the bad news, but our friend and fellow FJ&G Historian Walt Danylak has passed
          away.  Walt has been sick for the past few months, but news of his death has come as a big
          shock.  We will miss  Walt's vast knowledge of the FJ&G and The New York Central Railroads.
          Most of all we will miss a great friend.

          Rest in Peace our good friend...

          I will post info on his wake and funeral as soon as they are available.

          --
          www.ginosrailpage.com
          www.fjgrr.org
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 18, 2005
            I'm sorry to hear this, even a Canuck from up north knew of Walt. Back
            about 1986 Walt tried to organize a Fonda, Johnstown, and Gloversville
            Historical Society and posted a small message in Model Railroader (or
            maybe it was Trains). From what he told me on the phone a year or so
            later, he was expecting a half dozen "locals" to respond and was a bit
            overwhelmed with more then fifty... even one guy from Canada!

            Paul

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 18, 2005
              Gino,

              The viewing will be at the Ferguson Funeral Home, 215 South Main Street,
              North Syracuse NY. Tuesday September 20, 2-4 and 7-9. Do not send flowers
              until the obit hits the papers because their is expected to be a request for
              donations in lieu of flowers, of that I am unable to be more specific.

              PKL

              >From: Gino's Railpage <fjgrailroad@...>
              >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Walt
              >Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 21:30:10 -0400
              >
              >I hate to post the bad news, but our friend and fellow FJ&G Historian Walt
              >Danylak has passed
              >away. Walt has been sick for the past few months, but news of his death has
              >come as a big
              >shock. We will miss Walt's vast knowledge of the FJ&G and The New York
              >Central Railroads.
              >Most of all we will miss a great friend.
              >
              >Rest in Peace our good friend...
              >
              >I will post info on his wake and funeral as soon as they are available.
              >
              >--
              >www.ginosrailpage.com <http://www.ginosrailpage.com>
              >www.fjgrr.org <http://www.fjgrr.org>
            • Glenn J. Williams
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 19, 2005
                --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Gino's Railpage
                <fjgrailroad@g...>
                wrote:
                > I hate to post the bad news, but our friend and fellow FJ&G
                > Historian Walt Danylak has passed away. Walt has been sick for
                > the past few months, but news of his death has come as a big
                > shock. We will miss Walt's vast knowledge of the FJ&G and The
                > New York Central Railroads. Most of all we will miss a great friend.
                >
                > Rest in Peace our good friend...
                >
                > I will post info on his wake and funeral as soon as they are
                > available.

                This is such sad news. I will miss Walt, as I know we all will.

                Glenn
              • stevefjg30
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 19, 2005
                  When I recived the call last night I was in shock. I'm deeply saddend
                  to here of Walt's passing. He was a friend and a great historian.
                  Walt always had a smile and a joke to tell. This year at the get
                  together it didn't seem right without him there. The fun of digging
                  in the woods for old FJ&G stuff. Looking for date nails and him
                  always teasing Gino & me about the DO not being the FJ&G.These are a
                  few of the many great memories I have of Walt. I owe alot of my love
                  to the FJ&G to Walt,Paul & Gino. They have always been there to
                  answer my questions that sometimes seemed silly. But they always were
                  there to help.

                  Walt I will miss you Dearly

                  Stephen LaMora

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 19, 2005
                    Great idea Steve!

                    A little memorial right here on the web! Walt was the guy who knew
                    everything
                    About the FJ&G. If there was something about it, a magazine article,
                    fact, he
                    Had it. It is a big bummer not to have someone with his knowledge
                    around
                    Anymore. Too special to say! Walt set me straight on so many things.
                    He did
                    A little editing on my web-page which really helped out. What good is
                    it to
                    Have the info posted if it wasn't right!

                    I know I'll think of something else as soon as I close out this message.
                    Don't know if I ever mentioned it, but the fact that he set up a table
                    at
                    The Albany train show (Just for education, not sales)always impressed
                    me.
                    He was hoping to draw people to our group, but most of all he wanted to
                    stir
                    Interest in the line as well. How great is that!

                    Gino
                    Missing Walt already!

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 19, 2005
                      Walt was the first guy I met from the group.I ran into him at a model
                      railroad show in Utica.He will be missed. Mark
                    • andrewsfusco
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 20, 2005
                        I just returned from Walt's calling hours. It
                        was pretty magnificant, a tribute to the FJ&G
                        and to Walt at the same time.

                        The florist did an incredible arrangement of
                        #8 with tender in black mums. It was the
                        centerpiece of the flowers. Walt was flanked
                        by a table, at left, with a color metal etching
                        of #9 with passenger consist at the G-ville
                        station, and an enlargement of a roster shot of
                        #21 that Walt had taken; plus, at right, a
                        computer screen of this group's homepage asking for
                        donations in lieu of flowers to www.
                        fjgrr.org.

                        The photo array in the hallway had numerous
                        pictures of Walt, plus the builder's photo
                        of #20 and two color snapshots of #21 which
                        Walt had taken. All and all, very cool.

                        As an aside, allow me to relate just how much
                        it meant to Walt to be part of this group. He
                        had been very burned by how his attempt to
                        organize an FJG preservation group in the late
                        '80s had turned out. No point in going into
                        details here, but it was a bad deal and, for awhile,
                        Walt actually stopped going to train shows, hanging
                        more with his S gauge friends instead, because of the
                        FJ&G fallout, than to go to public shows. This
                        group gave him a second wind, a renewed spirit.
                        You guys really meant a ton to him.

                        A lot of us know much about the FJ&G. But there
                        are precious few real experts. And now we've
                        lost one. God bless you Walt.---Andy

                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 21, 2005
                          Well said Andy! So glad you could make it. Paul Larner, Charlie
                          Vosburg
                          And myself attended the early calling hours and like you said, it was
                          A tribute to the FJ&G and to Walt. His family couldn't express how much
                          Our group of people really meant a lot to Walt. Like you said, it
                          rekindled
                          His passion in the FJ&G. I've been forwarded the groups messages to
                          Walt's
                          Family and they all appreciate the nice things that have been said here
                          About Walt!