Rand Warner 1956

  • Walt Danylak
    Message 1 of 7 , May 14, 2001
      Here is part 4 from Rand's journal:

      1956

      Spring – Buses and franchises go to Mohawk Valley Transit, Inc. of
      Utica for $40,000. Mayfield-Broadalbin–Northville buses gone.
      Remaining buses: Gloversville and Johnstown, local and belt.
      Gloversville-Amsterdam-Schenectady and Amsterdam belts sold to MVT,
      Inc. which is now operating these routes.

      May 24 – Judson Zimmer retires as president, will continue as
      director. New setup: Samuel Rothschild, non-active president; Howard
      C. Miller, vice president, general manager & treasurer; Lydon F.
      Maider, secretary; Hugh H. Smith, assistant secretary.

      August 4 – Gas car #340 in trouble, GE switcher brought it up to
      Glove City Coal Co. Men looking over power truck.

      September 4 – Passenger service to Broadalbin has been suspended
      (July). New spur constructed in back of Wagner's Market for unloading
      into hopper. Materials for arterial highway.

      September 8 – First of cement hopper cars observed on new spur for
      arterial highway.

      September 9 – Took a tour of railroad yard in Gloversville:

      ROLLING STOCK
      #21 Combine converted to all baggage – one seat for crew, not in
      present use.
      #22 Combine in south roundhouse – in good shape
      #17 Coach full of old tools, in south roundhouse, rough shape.
      #10 Flanger, in good shape, sets on old trolley line exit, near
      turntable.
      #1 4-wheel caboose does not appear to be in immediate use, by plow.
      #2 8-wheel caboose being used on both Broadalbin and Fonda runs.
      Plow needs paint, same old place.
      #30 380 hp GE switcher in machine shop.
      #21 1000 ho Alco switcher in machine shop.
      #21 1000 hp Alco switcher in use.
      #40-41 50 ton flat cars in same old place.
      #202 Small baggage car with Mack motor & drive, seems to be gone??
      #340 300 hp gas electric baggage-mail car in use.

      BUILDINGS & GROUNDS
      Main passenger-baggage station unchanged.
      Freight house – new office being added on north end, otherwise
      unchanged.
      Wood Bus garage – empty except for stored cardboard carton stock.
      Paint Shop – empty except for old Mack tow-bus & Broadalbin bus
      rebuilt for baggage, mail and freight.
      Carpenter Shop – several Gloversville belt line busses being stored,
      must be leased by MVT? Or left over.
      Machine Shop – idle, but as usual, being used to shed diesels.
      Store Room (back of machine shop) – chock-full, but locked up.
      North Roundhouse – almost completely empty, fair shape, one track
      gone (202's).
      South Roundhouse - #22 and #17, in rough shape, unlocked.
      Sheds – behind south roundhouse, gone.
      Section House – south of south roundhouse, appears unused

      General appearance of yards indicates all available scrap iron has
      been removed. All tracks are quite weed-grown. Couple of old busses
      set out behind carpenter shop. All steam facilities (coal, ashes,
      water) completely gone.

      October 14 – Saw combine 22 and baggage 21 on passing track at Fonda.
      Apparently as a result of some fan trip, or else 340 is in shops.

      October 28 – Baggage 21 and combine 22 used together on mail run when
      340 is not available. Setting on plow tracks.

      Walt
    • Richard W. Ryall
      Message 2 of 7 , May 14, 2001
        Walt, this is very interesting. dick

        Walt Danylak wrote:

> [...]
        > Machine Shop – idle, but as usual, being used to shed diesels.
        > Store Room (back of machine shop) – chock-full, but locked up.
        > North Roundhouse – almost completely empty, fair shape, one track
        > gone (202's).
        > South Roundhouse - #22 and #17, in rough shape, unlocked.
        > Sheds – behind south roundhouse, gone.
        > Section House – south of south roundhouse, appears unused
        >
        > General appearance of yards indicates all available scrap iron has
        > been removed. All tracks are quite weed-grown. Couple of old busses
        > set out behind carpenter shop. All steam facilities (coal, ashes,
        > water) completely gone.
        >
        > October 14 – Saw combine 22 and baggage 21 on passing track at Fonda.
        > Apparently as a result of some fan trip, or else 340 is in shops.
        >
        > October 28 – Baggage 21 and combine 22 used together on mail run when
        > 340 is not available. Setting on plow tracks.

      • Walt Danylak
        Message 3 of 7 , May 14, 2001
          --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Richard W. Ryall" <dryall@m...> wrote:
          Walt, this is very interesting. dick

          Dick,

          It gets more interesting in the next few years. Rand has notes about
          letters that he received from Howard Cole and others. They subjects
          cover everything.

          Walt
          Message 4 of 7 , May 17, 2001
            Walt,

            This stuff is great!!! You don't think Rand would mind if I used some of
            this info in my FJG-Chronology?

            Gino

            Message 5 of 7 , May 19, 2001
              --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
              Walt,

              This stuff is great!!! You don't think Rand would mind if I used
              some of this info in my FJG-Chronology?

              Gino

              Gino,

              I'm sure Rand wouldn't mind, just please give him a credit line
              somwhere. The more I read over the journal, the more I enjoy it.
              There's still plenty of information coming. The journal doesn't end
              until 1976!

              Walt
              Message 6 of 7 , May 19, 2001
                Walt,

                I will definitely include Rand in the credits! I don't know about the rest
                of the guys, but I eagerly
                await each installment of this stuff! Can't wait for the next! This is the
                kind of FJG info that never
                made a book, but is good info to have! I noticed in "Steam & Trolley Days"
                that Randy put
                together Dave's Steam and Trolley Rosters! Great stuff!

                Message 7 of 7 , May 19, 2001
                  Let me correct my last message, RAND put together Dave's Roster, not any
                  Randy! My typo!

                  Gino