RE: [FJGRailroad] Trolley Accident at Hagaman

    Message 1 of 15 , May 2, 2001
      I'm sure there many accidents like this that didn't make the books! Anyone
      remember the
      story I posted last year about an accident with an Accommodation Car near
      the Glenville
      boarder? It happened about 1903 and a guy was run over on his way home from
      the night
      shift? I wanna say the family sued the railroad and that didn't make any of
      the books!

      Message 2 of 15 , May 3, 2001
        Johnstown library is the repository of several needed items for a FJ&G
        history. Unfortunately you need a bundle of money to copy it on their
        copier or a huge amount of time to hand copy. They also possess a critical
        piece of the newspaper record of the railroad. Critical in that they have
        the only copies of any local papers from 1876. Unfortunately they are
        unavailable for use until the state gets around to putting them on
        microfilm. Which means they may not be seen in any reasonable amount of
        time since the sdtate has a huge backlog and are not on any priority.

        PKL

        Message 3 of 15 , May 4, 2001
          have you seen those pen-size min-scanners ? they hook to a laptop
          > Johnstown library is the repository of several needed items for a FJ&G
          > history. Unfortunately you need a bundle of money to copy it on their
          > copier or a huge amount of time to hand copy. They also possess a
          critical
          > piece of the newspaper record of the railroad. Critical in that they have
          > the only copies of any local papers from 1876. Unfortunately they are
          > unavailable for use until the state gets around to putting them on
          > microfilm. Which means they may not be seen in any reasonable amount of
          > time since the sdtate has a huge backlog and are not on any priority.
          >
          > PKL
          >

          > >From: psefton@...
          > >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
          > >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Trolley Accident at Hagaman
          > >Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 22:44:16 -0400
          > >
          > >Last summer I was looking through a clipping folder at the Johnstown
          > >Library
          > >and I noticed an account of a fatal trolley accident in 1900 in Hagaman
          > >that
          > >I've never seen mentioned anywhere else. It was an account of the
          horrible
          > >death by infection of a woman who had suffered a ruptured bladder when
          she
          > >was struck by a flying bench in a trolley collision. No mention in
          Trolleys
          > >Down The Mohawk.

          http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

        • Randy & Lorraine Decker
          Message 4 of 15 , May 4, 2001
            Pete I am looking for a small scanner like that that stores the info?? so
            it can be downloaded later?? have they made this yet or is this CIA stuff??
            any idea's??

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 15 , May 5, 2001
              Don't all those scanners still require a CPU to hold the data?

              I was going to borrow my wife's laptop and go over with one of my flatbeds.
              She hasn't brought it down for me to borrow yet. Thanks for the reminder.
              The state had no objection to copying this way either, though they will copy
              anything you need very reasonably. Johnstown Library wants to make a quick
              buck off their copier, either a quarter or thirty-five cents a copy, which
              is highway robbery for Johnstown.

              The NYPL charges twenty five or thirty five depending what you're copying.
              But that's NYC and you almost expect to get taken for a ride down there.
              The state charges ten cents a copy and will do books etc. for a fee. I
              think I paid them about $70.00 to copy the early employee records. I pay
              Kinko four cents and have done a whole bunch there (that's why).

              PKL

              Message 6 of 15 , May 5, 2001
                Yes I would guess so ?? But I think there is a version that has the storage
                attached ? and then you plug it in when full and download?? Must be
                expensive? if it even exhisits?? Paul where did you find early FJ&G
                records in NYC?? if you don't mind me asking?? Thanks

                Message 7 of 15 , May 6, 2001
                  The records in NYC are at the NYPL but those relate to maps and drawings.
                  They also have the some newspapers and directories but I used them
                  secondarily while I was laying over. The Commissioner's reports are at the
                  B&T division on Madison and 34th and there is other stuff.

                  My primary library usage is at the NYSL in Albany. They've got all the
                  newspapers except the most important piece plus epemera in the Archives
                  section. It can all be copied and it is a heck of a lot cheaper than at
                  NYC.

                  I need yet to copy the payroll records from 1917 through the mid forties.
                  There's a lot of stuff there and they will do it for a reasonable price.

                  A scanner wouldn't be of any service for that material. They have several
                  photographs though which would be ideal for a scanner or you can have them
                  professionally copied by one of their photographers - big bucks and the
                  copier would probably use digital copying techniques anyway. Not much film
                  work anymore and getting less and less.

                  Glad you got that Sacandaga booklet. Who's elbe, L. B. ? Somebody over
                  your way? I expect to bid the FJ&G key eventually, will depend on how that
                  Lake Champlain and Moriah lock and key goes. It's one of the very early
                  keys by T. Slaight and shows long use. Would like to track down the
                  employee owner. Haven't yet found a key made by Miller.

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 6, 2001
                    Where does the Johnstown Library come off charging that much for
                    a copy? What crooks!!! I copied the whole history of the Little
                    Falls and Dolgeville Railroad at 15 cents a copy at the Ilion
                    Public Library! I thought that was a good deal! The Saratoga and
                    Schenectady libraries only charge 15 cents!!!

                    Gino.dicarlo@...
                    Digital Assembly
                    Quad Imaging Saratoga
                    (518) 581-4276

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 6, 2001
                      --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
                      Where does the Johnstown Library come off charging that much for
                      a copy? What crooks!!! I copied the whole history of the Little
                      Falls and Dolgeville Railroad at 15 cents a copy at the Ilion
                      Public Library! I thought that was a good deal! The Saratoga and
                      Schenectady libraries only charge 15 cents!!!

                      Gino

                      Gino,

                      Try the Leader Herald, 75 cents per copy!

                      Walt
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 6, 2001
                        Highway robbery Walt!!!

                        Gino.dicarlo@...
                        Digital Assembly
                        Quad Imaging Saratoga
                        (518) 581-4276

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 8, 2001
                          Wow Paul, it says you sent this message Sunday Morning! I thought my
                          messages were getting
                          delayed!

                          Gino

                          > ----------
                          > From: paul larner
                          >

                          > The records in NYC are at the NYPL but those relate to maps and drawings.
                          >
                          > They also have the some newspapers and directories but I used them
                          > secondarily while I was laying over. The Commissioner's reports are at
                          > the
                          > B&T division on Madison and 34th and there is other stuff.
                          >
                          > My primary library usage is at the NYSL in Albany. They've got all the
                          > newspapers except the most important piece plus epemera in the Archives
                          > section. It can all be copied and it is a heck of a lot cheaper than at
                          > NYC.
                          >
                          > I need yet to copy the payroll records from 1917 through the mid forties.
                          >
                          > There's a lot of stuff there and they will do it for a reasonable price.
                          >
                          > A scanner wouldn't be of any service for that material. They have several
                          >
                          > photographs though which would be ideal for a scanner or you can have them
                          >
                          > professionally copied by one of their photographers - big bucks and the
                          > copier would probably use digital copying techniques anyway. Not much
                          > film
                          > work anymore and getting less and less.
                          >
                          > Glad you got that Sacandaga booklet. Who's elbe, L. B. ? Somebody over
                          > your way? I expect to bid the FJ&G key eventually, will depend on how
                          > that
                          > Lake Champlain and Moriah lock and key goes. It's one of the very early
                          > keys by T. Slaight and shows long use. Would like to track down the
                          > employee owner. Haven't yet found a key made by Miller.
                          >
                          > PKL

                        • Randy & Lorraine Decker
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 8, 2001
                            I have copied with my camera most of what they had at the archives
                            concerning the FJ&G Good to here the Johnstown Library has some of the 1876
                            records?? I would like to get one of the keys aspecially the old looking
                            one tapered barrel like the one I sold you?? I am sure the reserve is very
                            high and I most likely will not reach it but hey they can't be worth to
                            awfull much I tried to sell an odd FJ&G lock with tag & key?? and it only
                            went to $175?? if the keys go over $125 then there must be some reason my
                            lock was not bid?? we will see??

                          • mwilber@webtv.net
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 8, 2001
                              Paul-Just curious.When you take the trips to NYC,do you layover for 8
                              hours,or deadhead back by cab or train,or bring a train back within the
                              12 hours ,or do they respite you?I think Mike Waterman runs from Buffalo
                              to Syracuse,then respite for the minimum of 4 hours,then runs back
                              Syracuse to Buffalo.Two days pay for one day of work. Not bad.I havent
                              seen him in a while,so I dont know if gets to Selkirk at all. Mark
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 8, 2001
                                Mike stays on the west end of our territory. To NYC we do a bit of all
                                that. Some jobs take rest, most turn within four hours and others deadhead
                                one way or the other. Extra jobs may work down, up or both ways depending
                                on what's to be moved. It is good work.

                                Paul