Re: [FJGRailroad] Electric Division - Limited vs. Accommodation

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 28, 2001
      Refering to the June 29, 1930 Employee timetable: For the most part the
      accommodations operated between Amsterdam and Schenectady, with Amsterdam
      crews, former Amsterdam Street Railway. The exception were two eastbounds
      from Gloversville at 5:02 and 5:57 a.m. and four in the evening at 8:03,
      9:03, 10:30 and 11:56, the latter appears to have tied up at Amsterdam.
      During the rest of the day only limited cars operated between Gloversville
      and Schenectady on the hour from 7:17 a.m. to 7:17 p.m. A note says that
      specified Limited trains will make Accommodation stops except Saturday and
      Sunday. Soooo... it doesn't look like there was much of a distinction
      except for the designation and type of car.

      I would say from looking at this time table that if you stood by a crossing
      and waved your hat as the car came along it would stop for you, irrespective
      of designation. It was said the steam road was that way except for the
      designated Park and Businessman (commuter) runs in the summer season.

      Probably not too much help but the more I delved into the timetable I
      realized there were a large number of exceptions. Of course at this time,
      1930, several small bus lines were doing there best to cut into the FJ&G
      business so it was to there advantage to pick up anyone who needed a ride.

      PKL

      Message 2 of 3 , May 1 7:44 AM
        --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "paul larner" <pklarner@h...> wrote:
        > [snip]
        > . . . it doesn't look like there was much of a distinction except
        > for the designation and type of car.
        >
        > I would say from looking at this time table that if you stood by a
        > crossing and waved your hat as the car came along it would stop for
        > you, irrespective of designation.
        > [snip]
        > PKL

        Paul,

        Thanks for the research. That's pretty much in line with what I had
        been thinking.

        Glenn