Wal-Mart Location

  • Saul B. Kalbfeld
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2000
      I can't but wonder if Wal-Mart blocked the rail line as a matter of
      corporate strategy. This would make it more difficult the
      re-establishment of a large industry further up the former line which
      would compete in the labor market. Knowing the reputation Wal-Mart has
      in operating in its own self interest around the country, I don't think
      it is just chance or a mistake that the building is placed over the
      railbed. This is a 100 year decision we are looking at here. Didn't
      anyone recognize this as a card to be played in the negotiations, or is
      the area so desperate for new business they don't want to do or say
      anything to jeopardize the deal. Let's be realistic...it would take more
      than one customer to justify reopening the line, but it should not have
      cost anything to hold out that possibility. Maybe I'm living in the past
      when so many of our families made a living from the glove and leather
      industries, but this seems like the same old situation all over again,
      that the area is so blinded by the short term, that any long term plan
      possibilities are not considered. Sorry to have vented, but in thinking
      about this, it really touches a nerve. Happy weekend all, and any Lions
      fans out keep the faith with me.
      Saul